Author Topic: What a hospital  (Read 3155 times)

navydad

What a hospital
« on: May 18, 2008, 04:33:07 AM »
Last week I had to have a endoscope,, and tomorrow I am scheduled to have a colostomy,, now the hospital called yesterday and since I wasn't home they talked to her,, they asked if I had ever been there before,, my wife said,, well lets see,, two sinus surgery's,, a week stay where you never found anything and said everything was in his head,, and when we there last week,, you were informed he had Sjogrens,, the nurse said oh I;m so sorry,, this is the guy with that Sjogrens,,? we never heard of it and had to look it up,, saw a neurosurgeon on Friday,, I told him about the continuing back pain and thenumbness and tingling in the legs and muscles getting worse,, he said and I quote,, maybe you have a infection in your spine,,, lets get a MRI and bone scan done,,, and i;m sitting there thinking,, isn't this something youmight want to rule out pretty quick,,, but I never said anything,, and just left,, sat in the car with utter disbelief of what I just went through,, its insane

lynnmarie219

Re: What a hospital
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:54:17 AM »
I agree...it sure sounds insane!  :o

I too have had many nurses, techs, etc say to me....."Sjogrens?? whats that?? never heard of it". Its pretty scary when the patient is educating the medical personnel!

Good luck with your test tomorrow....hope you get some answers!

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
I hate it when they say you will have to teach me about it as we go along, but it's me that still gets the bill. ???

susanep ::)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Katybarstool

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:32:55 PM »
Hi Susan

I know what you mean, about learning as they go. The trouble is, we have to rely on them for the correct medication, and, if your try to pre-empt a decision, they feel threatened, or that you are undermining them.

When I had my hrt check and was speaking about general symptoms, I talked to the nurse practitioner about vaginal dryness. She smiled and said, yes, we have one or two ladies with Sjogren's Syndrome ... they have dry eyes. don't they ::)

She is also the one who has made a few scathing remarks about my 'asthma'.  While acknowleding that I have definiely got a respiratory condition (the blue coloured lips are a dead give away) she tried to take my inhalers away. Thank goodness the GP sorted that one out.

I have downloaded information about SjS and given it to two different GPs so far.  I think I'm going to keep a spare copy in my bag for any other medics I may come across. 

Kathy
Kathyx

Patze

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
Hi Navydad,

It is nuts, how in the world did you not say something to him?  Wow, you have a lot more self control than I do!

Hang in there and keep us updated, okay?

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

YICKelly

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
And a fun time was had by all!! NOT  So do I understand correctly that the MRI has not yet been scheluded??  What a bunch of nonsense!!

wordnerd

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
The other day I told my nurse something I read somewhere (it may have been here... and I may have it wrong... if its wrong I blame morphine... if its right I'll take credit  ;)) that there are the same number of people with Sjogren's as people with Alzheimer's but nobody has heard of it.  The nurse was appropriately impressed.

But on the other hand... based on some statistics about what the average adult american knows, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Sorry you are dealing with such ridiculous incompetence!

-Lauren