Author Topic: advice on heating the house in winter  (Read 2868 times)

aussie mum

advice on heating the house in winter
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
Hi Everyone,

We are coming in to winter in Australia and this is the first winter since my daughter has been diagnosed with SJS. I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to heat the house without causing her too many problems. She is already having problems with a dry cough and fatigue and I really don't want to make her symptoms worse.

We are lucky here in Sydney that it doesn't snow but we do get heavy frosts on the ground so the temperature does get down to -2 celcius overnight.

Before Christmas we had airconditioning installed which was wonderful relief from hot & humid summer, it also works really well to heat our house, but I know that it dries you out, so any advice on how best to cope would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aussie Mum

Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: advice on heating the house in winter
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
Hi Aussie Mum,

I'm in Canada so we have cold winters as well...but with lots of snow! We've had a few different heating systems over the years, but as for maintaining humidity in the house while keeping warm, I've personally found an air tight wood furnace has been best for me...as long as we run a humidifier with it. I didn't tolerate wood stoves very well, the oil furnace didn't suit me at all because of fumes (that were apparent only to me!), and electric heat was very drying to me, as well as not really being warm enough, no matter what the thermostat said (I found it was a non-cozy heat, if you understand what I mean).

The big thing to remember with whatever type of heating system you use is to keep a humidifier going all the time!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

ree031

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:22:37 PM »
Hi Aussie mum,

I am 4 hours west of Sydney  ;D and we have a wood fire. I can not cope with air conditioning, it dries me out way too much. Our cooling is ducted evaporative as it keeps the air moist.

In winter I usually sit a huge pot with water in it on our wood fire to keep the air moist, but i hated how ugly it looked. I bought a lovely water fountain on ebay and everyone comments at how lovely it is.

Hope this helps,

Ree :)

susiekline

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I have trouble with dryness in the winter (and maybe summer, this is my first one coming up with an SJS dx!) and found that running a humidifier in my bedroom helped. I'm looking into getting a humidifier put on with the heating system. Then the whole house will be moist. Is that a possibility for you?