Author Topic: Surgery Update... (or look who's right back on morphine)  (Read 37754 times)

Tamik

Re: Surgery Update... (or look who's right back on morphine)
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2008, 09:17:39 PM »
Where oh Where has Lauren gone???  Just checking on you and see you haven't posted in a few days... Thinking about you, Tami K

wordnerd

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »
Hey everyone!  I'm still here... although my CPAP did try to kill me last night.  But I'll get to that in a minute...

I'm scheduled to be discharged from Rehab this Thursday!  The Rehab has been a complete success.  Whatever caused things to get messed up after the surgery, I still have no idea, but my physical therapist worked with me to try and isolate the right muscles at the right time.  It was like I forgot how to move my leg and was activating all the wrong muscles or I had to relearn which thought caused which muscle to tense.  But the bottom line is I can walk again!  Yay!  It still takes a lot of concentration though.  The whole thing is just really odd.

In the meantime I'm probably not going to be medically ready to go home on Thursday, so I'll be discharged from Rehab back the regular part of the hospital until we get a few things sorted out.  I'm still having oxygenation issues.  I've been desaturating down to the low 70s sometimes if I'm not on oxygen.  I had a CT that show some partially collapsed areas in the lower lungs, but not enough to explain the desaturation apparently.  I'm having a special kind of ECG tomorrow that looks at oxygenation issues somehow.  So I obviously can't go home until we figure that out.

I also haven't been able to keep anything down the last few days.  Maybe the autoimmune Pancreatitis?  So that's keeping me in the hospital also.

But back to the CPAP... It's said that everything that can go wrong will, but I seem to have some strange magnetic attraction to extremely unusual and often unheard of thing going wrong.  Like last night.  Last night I woke up at 3 am feeling like I was drowning.  Probably because I essentially way.  Water from the humidifier was flowing into my CPAP mask and being forced in my nose.  Luckily I didn't have the full CPAP mask!  I ripped it off and called my nurse.  She in turn called respiratory to come and see what happened and fix it.  Somehow the heater on the humidifier had broken and was pumping water up through the tube to the mask.  The guy from respiratory said he had never heard of that happening and he called his supervisor who hadn't even heard of it either. Go figure.  It's bad enough that I'm having trouble getting enough oxygen during the night and now the day without my CPAP mask trying to drown me in my sleep.

Genko - I was wondering if is autonomic also!  I haven't had a chance to ask my doctor about that yet though.

Patze - I do have weird migraines.  They come on very suddenly when I stand up too fast sometimes.  I also have had issues with my short term memory lately.  Is that the kind of thing you mean?

Billye - No worries!  I hope everything is going a bit better for you!  And yes, it seems there is always something going on to keep me busy :D

Everyone... thanks for the hugs and the chocolate fudge!  Sending hugs right back at you :)  Also some Zzzzz ;)

I still haven't tried the bladder stimulator, so I guess I'll have to see what happens when I turn it on.  Hopefully my docs will let me pull out the catheter and give it a go while I'm still here in the hospital in case it doesn't work and I need to be re-catheterized or have the electrode removed.  The darn thing better work though!  I've gone through way too much to have it be for nothing!  All this just so I could pee!  Sometimes it feels like my life is a case study in Murphy's Law.

*hugs*

-Lauren

JannaLee

« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:42 AM »
Lauren!

Wonderful news all the way around!

I am delighted to hear of your progress.  You inspire me.

Janna

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »
Hi Lauren   :)

I'm glad you're making progress - and walking again - well done! Take a bow! ( sound of applause ) The hard work paid off. 

Nearly drowning during the night must have been really scary. That's a hec of a thing to happen.

I hope they get to the bottom of the other problems soon so that they can fix you up and you can get home.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Skylar

« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2008, 12:09:17 PM »
Lauren, I'm so glad that you are walking again - that is such an important accomplishment. Thank goodness this stay in the rehab is working.

I haven't had my cpap machine go wonky like yours, but I have had the hose in such a position during the night that water collected in a dip, then I turned over and the water rolled up into my nose - OMG, I thought I was drowning. I'm very careful to keep my hose level.

Thanks for updating us.

Skylar

stegello08

« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
Lauren,

It sounds like you are on your way to recovery. Great job, and keep up the walking! Your in everyone's prayers.

~Steph

lynnmarie219

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
Hi Lauren!

Sooooooo glad to hear that you are walking again! Keep up the great work! You are making such progress! I'm so happy for you!

Tamik

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »
YIPPEE FOR LAUREN!!!  Tami K

Patze

« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2008, 01:46:46 AM »
Hi Lauren,

Glad to see that you're doing so much better! :D  Do they know how long you will be in the hospital?

Yes, whenever I get those "migraines", my short term memory also takes a dive - hummm, something else to remember to take to the docs about.

Hang in there and here's a giant gentle hug for ya!

( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( H U G ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

wordnerd

Sjogren's World, we have discharge!
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »
I am sitting here with my stuff all packed up in those handy "patient belonging" bags waiting for my mom to come so I can go...

*drum roll*

HOME

Still got my catheter and a wire cord sticking out of my back (handy for when I get tired and need to plugin and recharge), but I got a clear echocardiogram and bubble study, so I'm out of here!

I'm going to have a nurse, PT, and OT at home to start with.  I'm going to my Urologist on Tuesday to see if we can finally get that bladder stimulator tested.

Somehow I think that this has been a blessing in desguise because with the help of the intensive rehab program here I now can walk better than I could before this whole incident and without a rollator!!!

So I am in high spirits  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can't wait to get home and cuddle my puppy and sleep uninterrupted in my own bed!  Ahhh that's going to be soo nice!  I don't know how they expect people to get better in hospitals since its pretty much impossible to get a decent nights sleep.

I just want to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone here!!!  You guys are amazing!  I couldn't have done it without you!

I'll check in again soon!

-Lauren

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
Hi Lauren  :)

That is such good news! Great! I love the positive spin you put on things. You really are one in a million. Hope you sleep well tonight.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Patze

« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Hi Lauren,

That is SO GOOD NEWS!!!!  Go home and curl up with your puppy now!  And have a great night's sleep!

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lynnmarie219

« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »
Wooooooo Hoooooooooo!!!

Home...your own bed.....and especially that puppy!! Sounds wonderful!

I'm glad that your getting out of there tonight!

Tamik

« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »
That is so great to hear!!! :)  Ahhh I bet you are going to sleep well tonight! Tami K

wordnerd

It's offical!
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »
I'm officially home and in my own bed  8)

...well its actually a new bed (a long ridiculous story involving tempurpedic medical division and lots of white (and some red) tape) and it really needs some breaking in... I plan to get right on that  ;D

Can't wait to have some peace and quiet to get caught up on the boards, but breaking in the mattress comes first!  A girl has got have her priorities straight :D

-Lauren