Author Topic: Organ Donation  (Read 6762 times)

lynnmarie219

Organ Donation
« on: May 09, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
Under General Discussion in the topic "Question about Donating Blood" started by nasa007 there were some additional questions raised about organ donation. I remember this topic being brought up on the old boards but don't think we ever really figured it out. Anyway I didn't want these important questions to get lost...so I started a new topic for them......below are some of the comments brought up........

****Ive heard the same thing about blood donation......so do you think this applies to organ donation as well (I'm an organ donor).

****Lynn - That's an interesting point.  I'm an organ donor too, but now that I think about it I doubt anyone in their right mind would want any of my organs... well at least not my pancreas, liver, lungs, or kidneys.  So until they start doing brain transplants... perhaps I should get that changed on my id...

****I know that in addition to actual organs they also use bone marrow, skin, eyes, etc....they can use almost every part of the body now! Hmmmmmm....I wonder 

****I'm on the Bone Marrow Registry.  Should I get out of that program?

Shari

Re: Organ Donation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »
So, were these questions concerning donation of organs or blood from people with Sjogrens I am assuming?  ~~Shari~~

lynnmarie219

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
These were some of the comments brought up on organ donation for people with Sjogrens...I just didn't want them to get lost under another topic...so I started a new posting! I think they are good questions......and was wondering if anyone had any information on this.

Rania

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 03:49:15 AM »
Hi!

I went to the Blood bank at my local hospital and asked them about it. It has been and still is a big issue for me all things about organ donations. I asked if a person with an autoimmune disease (such as Sjogrens syndrome) could be a donor, and I got a very claet no to that question. The reason is that not only does it have to do with blood, but to transplant a kidney in example, might transfer something to the recipient. If the recipient has some genetics or other risk factors of developing different diseaes, they might ocur after transplantation, because they also need to use immunesupresiva after receiving an organ. I also talket about this with a doctor later, and he also said: "no you can never be a donor. That goes for both blood and organs."

Even though I'm a bit sad about it, I find it ok too. Knowing my health issues and health history, I don't want anyone to get one of my organs if that might trigger a disease with them because of my transplanted organ I gave away and the recipient using immunesuppressiva.

When it comes to eyes, I'm not sure about it. It is all part of the body. But I never asked spesific about parts of the eyes that is a possible transplant so I don't know the answer there.

But blood, bonemarrow and organs, is not possible to take from a person with an autoimmune disease in Norway. I don't know how it is other places.

But it makes perfect sense to me. It is way too risky to put an already sick person who need a new organ through receiving an organ from a person with an AI disease. I would not like to know that if I gave away my kidney, or if they took something else if I died suddenly, it would be a high risk for the recipient to get things in their body trigged and maybe develop an AI disease after the transplant because of my organ/bloo or whatever.

Rania  :)

JannaLee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »
Wow, I came very close to matching a 2 yr old little boy in our community for a kidney transplant last fall!

(I had no idea I would be struck down 3 months later with SjS.) 

The donor screening process had almost completed.  I had been through extensive blood work, physicals and x-rays and even psychiatric evaluation.  Then at the very end of the testing a blood factor decided to fight with his and I was eliminated.

At the time I was deeply disappointed not to be able to save this little cherub.  Now I see the blessing that I was not the one.

Janna

Shari

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 05:51:28 PM »
Janna, I can only say that you have a true heart~~~Shari

Patze

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »
JannaLee,

You are truely an angel!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html