Author Topic: question about donating blood...  (Read 9865 times)

nasa007

question about donating blood...
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
Does any one know if you can donate blood if your have sjogrens?

LenV

Re: question about donating blood...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:41 AM »
My doctor told me I could not donate because of the medications I take for Sjogrens.

Billye

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »
Yes my rheumy told me the same thing.  Giving blood is a NoNo for most of us.  If you are considering this please advise the blood bank that you have Sjogren's ahead of time.  I'm pretty sure they tell you they can't accept your donation.  The same applies to those with Lupus.

Pooh

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
nasa,You would need to ask your doctor about this but I would seriously doubt if it is a good idea. You may even find that the questions asked when you go to donate would be if you have a chronic health conditon or autoimmune issues. It is my opinion that we would not always be able to replace the blood we lost at the normal rate. Many times people with sjogrens will have their bone marrow affected and the hemoglogin will be lower than is desired. Irish ;D ;D

nasa007

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »
Wow, thanks for everyon's quick reply. I thought the same, but thanks for all for confirming it.  What a great bunch, peace to all.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
Hi  :)

I used to be a regular blood donor but got told to stop as soon as I got an autoimmune dx. I got a thankyou letter and a little certificate and a don't come back letter.

I just hope I never damaged anyone in the interim as I was at least 20 years before a dx was forthcoming.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
Ive heard the same thing about blood donation......so do you think this applies to organ donation as well (I'm an organ donor and don't know if I should be) ? I remember this coming up on the old boards, but I don't remember if we ever came up with an answer!  ???

salsen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
The local blood bank looked up some meds I was taking and I was ruled out of donating - Plaquiniel being one of them.  Possibly because this med helps to thin the blood that it eliminates you as a donor. 

Patze

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:15:12 AM »
Hi Nasa,

Before all of this, I tried to donate twice and the RC could only get a quarter or less of what they needed because I would coagulate so fast it would clog the needles.  I was told to not bother trying to donate again.  It's funny as several members of my family always donated regularly (including the parental units) and I was considered a slacker (even after explaining what the RC had said).  After discovering all my medical issues (and all the meds I'm on), they don't mention that anymore, wonder why? ::)  Turkeys! ;D

Patze

Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

wordnerd

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
Lynn - That's an interesting point.  I'm an organ donor too, but now that I think about it I doubt anyone in their right mind would want any of my organs... well at least not my pancreas, liver, lungs, or kidneys.  So until they start doing brain transplants... perhaps I should get that changed on my id...

lynnmarie219

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »
I know that in addition to actual organs they also use bone marrow, skin, eyes, etc....they can use almost every part of the body now! Hmmmmmm....I wonder  ???

JannaLee

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
I'm on the Bone Marrow Registry.  Should I get out of that program?

Janna

lynnmarie219

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
I have started a new topic under General Discussion just on Organ Donation as I think this is an important topic.....I just didn't want it to get lost under the Blood Donation questions!   :)

I hope this helps!

Rania

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 03:54:17 AM »
Ops, I didn't see this thread untill now. I responded in the other thread before reading this one, and I have said pretty much the same as many of you do in my post in the other thread.

Rania  :)

Katybarstool

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »
Rana

I was on the bone marrow register for around 25 years before I was told I was a 'possible' match and had to donate lots of blood for testing. I wasn't a good much as it turned out, and I was ill for months after giving so much blood - even though, at that point. I was not diagnosed with any illness.

Thinking about it now, I'm so relieved I was not a match.  I would hate someone who has been so ill   having a donation from someone who has turned out to have a bagful of conditions.

Kathy