Author Topic: What should I expect a Dentist to do?  (Read 5735 times)

kathylee

What should I expect a Dentist to do?
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »
Hi there,
I'm in serious need of adentist. My teeth are getting worse fast. Is there something they can treat them with that will protect from cavities? Something I won't react to since I'm chemically sensitive? And for anyone that is chemically sensitive what do you suck on since anything sugarfree has those toxic fake sugars?

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: What should I expect a Dentist to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
Kathylee, a thourough dental exam is the only way to find out what a dentist can do for you, but for at home use, can you use some of the natural toothpastes like Tom's of Maine? Barring that, baking soda and water make a good paste that cleans well. Flossing is important, and maintaining calcium intake, but you should probably work with your doctor on that one, to see what an optimal dose would be for you.

Many candies are sweetened with sorbitol or maltilol, which are natural alcohol sugars, and there are a few with xylitol, which is birch sugar, and very good for the teeth. I do know of some diabetics and kidney failure patients who suck on pebbles, beads or buttons to stimulate saliva.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

ejvisneskie

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:52 PM »
Hi Kathylee!
   I have been going to the dentist quite frequently lately I have to replace all my teeth with crowns I have all but one on the top and now I have to work on the bottom whatever is left. 
  My dentist assistant said that Oral B mouth rinse is good to use and it will help with the teeth I guess to strengthen them a bit my teeth are breaking because I have had many fillings in each one and you can only fill them so many times before they have to be crowned or replaced.  I use  the prevident tooth paste it is more expensive than others but I find the normal tooth paste is too hot for me and my tongue burns.
  I have also heard on the radio that there is a coating that you can get the dentist to put on to protect your roots for the receding gumlines I am not sure what it is called but when I hear that advertisment again I will try to remember it and put it on this post.
  I live in Ontario Canada, so I don't know if it is any different where you live.
  Good luck

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
I am a Dental Assistant, with  20 years of experience. It is embarrassing to admit I had never heard of SJS until I was diagnosed over a year ago. Now I have the opportunity to visit with the patients we know also have SJS. The products we recommend; Peridex mouth rinse, Gingiplus turbo 5000 tooth paste are good for protection and perio problems. Biotene products that are specifically for dry mouth are also good. Our patients seem to be very much in control of dental problems in regard to their SJS.
kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

JannaLee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
I was going to ask for "fluoride varnish" to cover the exposed roots from receding gums.

This is what came up when I Googled a couple days ago BECAUSE MY TEETH ARE SUDDENLY CRUMBLING, ROTTING, AND EXTREMELY SENSITIVE!

Tamik

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »
Hey -I am trying oil pulling - look it up on the web.  I am not too sure I believe it can cure everything, but the idea of having some moisture in my mouth helped!  Oil pulling is homeopathic and it involves rinsing your mouth with cold pressed sesame oil -not the toasted kind you cook with though.  You get it in the health food section.  Sesame oil has antibacterial agents and will help kill all the bacteria that causes many mouth issues. It is also supposed to be good for your teeth and thrush.  Since our mouths are breedign grounds for germs, I figure it wouldn't hurt to try - plus the idea of having oil soak my parched mouth sounded appealing - so I did.  I woke up,  brushed my teeth, put in a little oil, swished -making sure to get between teeth and allover the mouth for about 15 minutes (while I took a shower), spit it out, and brushed again. You are supposed to do it 4 hours after eating so I just did it when I woke up. Today is the first day, and my teeth feel like that "fresh from the dentist" clean.  I did not like the mouth wash for dry mouth as my mouth felt coated. 

Tami K

Shari

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »
The dentist office that I go to have a kit put together for their Sjogrens patients and everyone there that I have mentioned sjogrens to have been well aware of the illness.

The kit containes many Biotene products such as mouth rinse, gum(which I just love)individual moisturising packs and a soft small toothbrush for cleaning where the gums meet your teeth among other things.

I also have a prescription for the 5000 toothpaste.

It's an ongoing struggle.

Take care~~~Shari

Rambling Rose

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:45:54 AM »
Tongue in cheek, I was tempted to reply "hurt you."  Actually, dentists recommend the sonic care electric toothbrush.  I also both floss and use a water pik.....anything not in my mouth as a breeding ground for bacteria is a plus.  The dentist should also apply a fluoride varnish every time your teeth are cleaned, and you should have that done 3-4 times a year.

Personally I'm also trying a line of herbal lollipops that are supposed to kill the bacteria in my mouth.  I also brush with fluoride, but have found some of the rinses turn my teeth gray.  Big choice there...no teeth or gray teeth.

Bonnie