Author Topic: Concerned about your weight?  (Read 34380 times)

Tamik

Re: Concerned about your weight?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »
I make my smoothies out of ground flaxseed, almonds, green tea, vanilla yogurt, and any frozen or fresh fruit I have!  They are yummy and has added benefits supposed to help autoimmune issues!  ( I put some HOT water in the bottom of the blender and let the tea seep in there - then add everything else!)  I make enough for 2 mornings and just leave the rest in the blender in the fridge so all I have to do the next morning is mix it again!  Blueberry is my favorite. 

I find that I am just not hungry anymore - want to lose 10 pounds, but have not been able to.  I have been keeping track of my calories each day and found out I was only eating about 600 a day - Was told I need to get up to 1200 calories a day to lose weight  -  I am trying to get that much every day -even though I really do not feel like eating! Sometimes a few bites and I am done  -  I just feel full.  Maybe it is all the water I drink! I think I will try making more smoothies during the day! :)  Tami K

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 08:19:01 PM »
Hi everybody,

So I'm wondering how everyone is doing with their goals? What seems to be working, and not working?

I have been a little bit successful with weight watchers so far, have lost 7 pounds in three weeks. :D

What works for me is having a bowl full of fresh fruit around at all times so that if I get snacky I can grab an apple before I do something terrible.

What isn't working is going out to eat. It is so HARD! Portion sizes are so huge and it's hard to guess what points values are of some of this stuff.

With my fatigue it is also difficult to get exercise in. I did some housework today - mopped some floors etc., and then headed for my buddy, Couch. Napped the whole afternoon. Guess I'll just have to count the housework as my exercise for the day.
Interested in hearing how others are doing.
Julia

Tamik

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »
I made it to the gym today and walked 30 minutes on the treadmill! That is a big accomplishment!! My goal is to walk for 30 minutes a day -somedays I break it up to 3  - 10 minute sessions when I am really exhausted -easier to convince my body that I can do a 10 minute walk then a 30 minute one sometimes!  I bribe myself by allowing myself to lay on the couch after my walk!! O.K -I have to be honest - I have only done 10 minute walks a day for the past week and today was the first I did  30. My goal is 30 a day  -now I know I can do it so I am going to commit.  Since I jsut put it in writing I can't back down!  Walking loosens me up in the morning -the stiffer I am, the more I know I need to walk and it does feel better.  As I am walking, I am visualizing the stiffness disappearing!   

Julia, when they put your food on the table at a restraunt, immediately ask for a to go box and put half of it in there so it is not staring at you from the plate -then you have tomorrows lunch!  AND DON'T OPEN THE BOX FOR ANOTHER BIT UNTIL THE NEXT DAY!!!! (can you see how I cheat?)  :)  No matter how yummy it was!  Just a suggestion!!

Tami K

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 07:46:18 PM »
Great suggestion, Tamik!!
Now will you come with me and make sure it goes IN THE BOX? ;D

Debora

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »
I need to lose weight, at least 50 pounds thanks to prednisone...grrrr......   ;)

I don't eat alot when I'm not on prednisone but watch out when I am, nothing is safe!!

I'm also starting out slow on my walking.  I walk to the post office which is about 3 blocks down the hill.  I want to break it in slow so I don't over do it!

Debora

Patze

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 05:28:45 AM »
Hi Debora, I'm with you girl friend!  I'm working on trying to loose the weight myself, and I walk a ton every day (at the job) and it's not doing much for me (ugh!!!).  Oh well, I need to start doing some yoga or something in addition too. 

I'm having a lot of trouble losing and am now an extremely slow loser (1-2 lbs per month maybe and I used to be able to lose that without even blinking every week before the thyroid did it's thing); I've switched endo's recently and have asked the endo to possibly add T3 to the Levoxyl (and the funny thing is that this doctor has even said that my T3 is on the low normal side) and she hasn't as of yet (Patze banging head on the table).

Hi TamiK, you go girl!!!!  I'm with Julia on the "making sure it goes into the box" ;)!!!  I don't often go out to eat because I get so tired of the stares, and the comments; and I get so feed up with eating salads all the time.  I'm so surprised I've not grown whiskers yet! :D

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Tamik

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 08:05:37 AM »
2 days in a row of walking on the treadmill 30 minutes!!  :)  YIPPEE!!! My goal is 5 days a week.   I really like the treadmill better then walking on my own because it moves my legs for me it seems. I found a gym that costs me 30 bucks a month for the first year and then drops to 9 bucks a month for the rest of my life - and it is so worth it. 

OK -for those of you who have a hard time getting your food in the box, ask the server to put half in the box before she/he brings it to the table : - if you still can't stay out of the box, have her throw it away.. or ask the person dining with you to guard it from you :)   Either that or invite a friend with you when you eat out who will split your food with you!  I also have decided it is better to throw food away then to pack it on my body... it is a bigger problem as a health issue then it is wasting food.  Took a long time to get that perspective changed after being raised to eat everything on your plate!  I don't force my kids to clear their plate - when they are full, they are full and I don't force myself to clear mine either -of course, we do talk about taking small amounts and getting seconds if they are still hungry.  I also keep a bowl of fruit on the table - we all grab a piece of fruit if we want a snack.  And my bag of Hershey's Kisses - when I absolutely need to have some chocolate, I eat one - yes - just one and suck on it for as long as I can!  Usually satisfies the craving!

How much have you moved today?  I am up to 30 minutes but started with 10 - committ to moving your body 10 minutes of the day  -ESPECIALLY ON THE BAD DAYS!  NO EXCUSES! 

FYI - I spend my days encouraging high school kids to do their homework - NO EXCUSES - I figure the NO EXCUSE attitude would work for me! :) 

Tami K

ccfbarb

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
Hi Everyone!
Count me in on the weight loss issue!  I was looking really good this past winter when I dropped 30 lbs. due to constant nausea and the inability to eat!  I still would never want to lose weight like that again, but suffice it to say that since the nausea has pretty much subsided except for small episodes, my appetite is Out Of Control!!!  I have cravings to have some kind of food in my mouth at almost any time of the day!  I have this horrible cravings for sweets and oh I hate to confess this, but actually can eat a can of icing in about 3 days time :-[  I am on 20 mg prednisone, so this is partially to blame, but I never use to eat this unhealthy before I got sick this winter.  It's almost like I'm making up for the months I couldn't eat.  Needless to say, I gained back all the weight I lost and I'm not happy about that.  I run around all day at work (which is the most activity I do all day) and then come home and lay around exhausted.  I too, would like to cut back on the unhealthy sweets, try to walk after work and loose enough weight that my uniforms don't feel unconfortable around my waist!  This thread was a great idea!  I[ll check back in and let everyone know how it goes.  I guess that means I should put the chocolate covered raisins back in the cupboard ;D  Hey...they have fiber!

Barb

Debora

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »
My Mom's doctor told her to quit eating when full and the food looks better in the garbage than on her!

I like to dip my fruit in yogurt!  although I just finished eating some nilla wafers BUT it was dipped in applesauce!!   :D

nisha

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »
I am another of the small minority who is very underweight and has difficulty keeping weight on. 

I eat lots of bananas.  When I don't feel like eating they slide down easily and they are good with nutirtional drinks.  For me the easiest way to add calories is by drinking grape juice, which I love, also milk, and eating nuts and avocados.

nisha

Tamik

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »
OK -2 days of intense walking did me in! Yesterday, I was very tired and sore  - but forced myself to go for a 10 minute walk. I did feel better afterwards! Today is absolutely beautiful outside, so I just started walking and before I knew it, I had walked for 40 minutes! This was a leaisurely walk and not the intense treadmill walks!  I just want to keep moving -I have this big fear of eventually not being able to since I was there before. 

I also have to eat foods that slide down easily-  I often skip lunch because a sandwhich is just too dry to eat.  I just bought some lean cuisines to eat for lunches so I make sure to eat them.  I am struggling to eat 1200 calories a day  - which is my daily goal. I think it is due to all my water consumption because I am not hungry!   I had to eat a couple oreo's and milk last night to make that goal!  I am really trying to do it with healthy food though since my focus on treating my sjogrens is to get my body into optimal healing mode.  I AM IN CONTROL OF THAT -even if I cannot control my Sjogrens!  Amazing what feeling in control does! 

I used to be addicted to Diet Coke - can't drink ANY soda anymore becasue it tastes nasty and burns my mouth.  That happened suddenly one day!  I tried 3 different cans thinking the soda was bad! ANyways. I read somewhere that it was better to give your body some sugar when it is craving it instead of grabbing a diet soda - the diet soda will make you crave the sugar more.  I have a friend who mixes 1/2 regular soda with water and cuts calories that way and doesn't get the artificial sweetners.  Works for her! 

I hope you are all doing well with your Healthy Living plans.

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
Tami,

Great job on the exercise!

I agree about the soda pop irritating the mouth. Sometimes my sense of taste is totally absent, and the sensitivity on my tongue seems worse then, too. What is really strange, though, is that it isn't consistently that way. Other times I can taste things really well. Too well!

When my taste sensation is gone, it doesn't seem to decrease my appetite though! I find myself eating just to see if I can taste things the way that I used to. Gotta quit doing that.

I had a really good week calorie wise until today. I think Sundays are my most difficult days because it's usually the day that we have more time to cook, or eat out, etc. Hubby is usually very helpful but when he gets the notion to splurge it's hard for me to be the one to be good.

Mondays are my weigh in days for weight watchers.

I like to hear about other's success stories  - keep 'em coming.
Julia

Patze

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 04:08:38 AM »
Hi Tami, congratulations on the excerise program...way to go!!!!

Hi Debora, ah the dipping in the apple sauce - one of my favorite tricks!  :D  I just love the apple sauce, eh, would prefer the chocolate instead, oh well.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Tamik

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 08:21:14 AM »
I am so going to try the applesauce for dipping!  I never thought of that!  OK - I read that if I put my commitment in writing and share it with others, I am more likely to stick to it. Here it is..

Tami's Plan for Healthy Living

1.  I will walk at least 10 minutes a day, but do 30 when I feel I can.
2.  I will eat at least 1200 calories a day of healthy foods.
3.  I will allow myself a Hershey's kiss after each meal (have to have the chocolate in here!)
4.  I will remember to take my vitamins.
5.  When I wake up in the morning, I will spend a minute thinking of all the positive things I have to be grateful for.
6.  Before I go to bed at night, I will reflect on the best part of my day.

I believe in the KISS method - Keep It Super Simple.....  There is my plan - what is yours?  I can't wait for my walk today -  It is supposed to be 70  :) 

Tami K

wordnerd

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
I seem to be loosing a pound a day... which I know is way too fast for weight loss.  I haven't done the math on how many calories I'm managing to eat, but I'd be really surprised if I'm breaking 1000.  Today I had to take a Zofran before breakfast, so I could keep my cream of wheat down.  And I managed one piece of toast for lunch.  It would be much more gratifying to be losing weight if I felt I could take credit, but its really all my pancreatitis's doing.  Blah.