Author Topic: Concerned about your weight?  (Read 34382 times)

Linda196

• Administrator
Concerned about your weight?
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
This thread is dedicated to those of us with concerns about their weight...too much, not enough, losing, gaining, whatever the concerns are.

It's a place to discuss various diet plans, successes, non-successes,  achievements, frustrations...basically whatever we need to talk about in the realm of maintaining a healthy weight.

If you like, it can even be used as a check in site for progress reports, if you are following a plan and just want some documentation and accountability.

It will be "stuck" near the top of the board for easy accessability.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Katybarstool

Re: Concerned about your weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14:30 AM »
LInda

Thank you for this. I need to lose some weight. I shall be a frequent visitor.

Kathy

Patze

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:49:56 AM »
Hi Linda,

Excellent!!!  I shall be a frequent visitor as I need to lose some weight (slight cough :D).

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:20:01 AM »
I'm actually going to go on record with this...I'm trying to lose 5% of my current weight!

When I saw Queen Latifah's commercial for a national weight loss chain, it struck a chord with me. She has always presented herself with such grace, and her size hasn't been an issue, but she is following the plan to become more healthy! She's isn't divulging her weight or how many pounds she's losing either. I think that is a much better approach than " I can get into my skinny jeans", at least for me (and I've never had skinny jeans anyway).

I'm following the guidelines and nutritional advise of the Canada's Food Guide, and Sparkpeople.com, which also helps with suggestions for activity and exercise.

My goal isn't fast weight loss, I'll be happy with a pound every week or two, which is how I lost 15 % a little over a year ago. Unfortunately I seem to have to be taking 7.5 mg/day of prednisone or less to lose weight, and last summer I had to go back to 15-30 mg/day for a while, thats where the additional 5% came from.

Wish me luck and perseverance, and please forgive me if I get cranky!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}

Annj5

• Reasonably Well
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:31:29 AM »
Great idea, Linda!

Count me in.

I've got plenty to lose, so am kind of hesitant to commit to a certain amount. I like the idea of committing to a healthy diet and lifestyle long term.

I have joined weight watchers and have lost seven pounds so far.

My problem is that, no matter what I seem to eat when I am dieting, I always end up with terrible heartburn. I think that's weird, and am wondering if I'm just anxious about the whole thing, and the anxiety causes the heartburn, rather than the foods that I am eating? Anyone else have that experience?

Julia

susiekline

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Julia your heartburn could be Sjogren's related. Just throwing that out there.

I need to lose weight and am frustrated. For two years I was pretty sick. I was diagnosed with colitis. Weight was running off me like water. I lost 55 pounds!! Seemed like I wasn't even trying. I had no appetite for a long time.

Then came the Sjogren's diagnosis. The plaquenil prescription. And suddenly my appetite is back!! OK, it's a decent tradeoff...the plaquenil has helped way more than having an appetite has hurt! But I liked it better when things were easy!

So now I am approaching it in a small steps fashion. I'm not thinking of a 30# weight loss, I am thinking in terms of 5# at a time. Maybe this will help me! Seems like when I think of ALL the weight I need to lose I get overwhelmed.

It helps that a friend told me today that I look like half the person I was before. She said she actually saw a waist today! Yahoo!!! I need to focus on that.

YICKelly

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »
I need to lose too.  Actually about 1/2 my weight would be good!!!
Susie, good for you!! Keep up the good work!

ktfabian

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »
Hi-

I'm definitely a member of the weight-loss-needed group. I've gained 50lbs between back surgeries and steroids.

My question - I'm still on 8mg of Medrol, and every doctor I've talked to has said I can't lose weight while I'm on the steroids.  I try hard to curb the weird cravings - I can get on a kick where I really only want to eat one thing - for example graham crackers with low fat margarine and strawberry preserves - and this might go on for weeks.

I make myself eat fruit and high fiber cereal each day (I have a morphine pump, so having a high fiber diet is important) and I'm trying to watch my portion sizes, but I don't seem to get anywhere because the crazy cravings come along and I give in.

Has anyone been successful with weight loss while on steroids?  How did you do it?

Thanks, Tracy

wordnerd

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »
I doubled my body weight in the last 9 months or so a la Prednisone.  I've been trying really hard to loose weight since getting down to a low dose.  The last few weeks I've had no appetite though (probably my Pancreatitis as usual).  So now I'm back to forcing myself to eat.  Twelve pounds came off in two weeks.

I feel like I'm always at one extreme or the other.  I still have about 85 pounds to loose.  It's so weird to have to make sure I'm eating enough while at the same time trying to loose weight.  It makes it a lot easier I guess until it gets to point where I can't keep food down and loosing weight way too fast and end up back on a high dose of Prednisone.

And round and round I go.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:04:54 AM »
Tracy, Medrol 8 mg is equivalent to 10 mg Prednisone, and I couldn't effectively lose weight until I got down to 7.5 mg...for some reason it just seemed to be my magic number. My doctor told me I couldn't lose weight on steroids, too, and almost accused me of stopping the Prednisone when I did lose weight.

I did find that with each wean of steroid, I was slightly better able to control the appetite cravings and surges, for example the final 10 pounds I put on while taking my maximum dose came off when I was dropped to half that...that was a relief, because I found it was that 10 that seemed to give me the Cushingoid appearance, under that I just looked fat. 

Most annoying to me is the distribution of excess weight; in the past I've had overall but proportional weight gain  with my back seeming to take most of it; with steroids my face got rounder and I have a "belly" but my arms, legs, hips and back are not that much bigger than they were. Through 50 pounds up, 30 pounds down, and everything in between, the only things that haven't fit have been things fitted through the torso (tops with fitted shoulders and sleeves, but lose bodies still fit, as do "comfy" pants with elastic waists) and my glasses!

The steroid cravings were ruthless, it wasn't just a matter of "I need such and such to eat" it was "what can I eat next" while I was still swallowing, and the NEVER feeling full, no matter how much I ate. It was getting up in the middle of the night starving to make a pot (not one bowl...a pot) of oatmeal and eating the whole thing with sugar (and I had to go out an buy the sugar the first time because I didn't keep any in the house then).  It meant buying candy! I never had much of a sweet tooth before steroids, and thank goodness it's back to my normal of slight nausea with white sugar or anything containing it.

Since my 3-5 days a week at the gym aren't possible anymore, I have to rely on portion control and healthy food choices to lose anything now, but it's slowly working. Luckily I've always been a bit of a naturalist when it comes to food...I prefer locally grown for the most part, non-processed, minimally packaged, "real" food. Of course I can't get local grains like rice or quinoa, or my very favorite steel cut Irish oats, but I'm not a fanatic about it! I try to avoid anything with the word instant on the package, and (except for dried pastas, beans, grains or fruit) any thing that has a longer shelf life than I do. It isn't convenient food, but I have a lot of time on my hands since I retired. Even when I was working, I cooked on my days off and had my own packaged meals for busier days.

I have to actually measure everything, if I don't I find I'm a very generous guesser! I keep a glass of water or cup of tea (black, green, white or herbal) at hand constantly, and snack on almonds or half a cup of dry cheerios when I need the "chew factor". Cinnamon is my secret weapon, I love it and add it to just about anything that I think needs a bit of sweetness. It has also been shown to help control blood sugar, although that hasn't been an issue for me, even on steroid.

Like any other aspect of living with SjS (and steroids) weight loss is individual and trial and error...you will find what works well for you. Try not to worry about "giving in" to the cravings...once in a while! Your graham cracker snack sounds great, and maybe you could (once in a while) just skip the low fat margarine, every little bit helps, and most of the flavour in that snack would be in the cracker itself and the strawberry preserve.

uker

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
I know the last few weeks have been heck, but am surprised to find I have lost 10 lbs. Am now down to
104 lbs.   Only noticed when I realised that if I don't wear a belt with my jeans they fall off.
I presume it is just the stress of recent times, but on the other hand wonder if I should get it checked out.
I know most of you want to lose weight and this probably sounds a bit pathetic, but I need energy at the
moment.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:19:43 AM »
Not pathetic at all Uker, the purpose of this thread is "healthy weight control" whether you are concerned about loss or gain. You're probably right about the stress, but if it continues you should probably mention it to the doc. In the meantime, maybe you could start to make a habit of at least one protein and nutrient packed drink every day, just to be sure you have that one boost of nutrition, without having to take a lot of preparation and dining time.

There are many prepared drinks available, I'm just not sure what names they are marketed under in the UK. You could also grab a blender or processor, throw in some yogurt, fruit, protein powder if you can get it, egg substitute (I wouldn't recommend raw eggs, but the liquid substitute is pasteurized), maybe even some chocolate syrup, and sip away! I often put a bit of wheat germ oil in my smoothies.

YICKelly

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
As much as I need to lose weight - I understand completely the exact opposite - having to gain it.  Neither is easy to the person who has the problem.  You may be the minority, Uker, but we know it is just as hard.  I heard once that a milk shake (real milk, ice cream) is one of the best things to use to gain weight.  You get good from the milk and lots of sugar too.  Trouble is, I love those!!  I have found Steak'n'Shake makes a good one! LOL

jackieinnj

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »
Concerned about your weight? - Count me in!  Over the last year or so, I've probably gained 20-25 pounds.  It is so disheartening to get on that scale!  I lost 30 pounds about 5 years ago by watching what I ate and exercised.  This past year has really turned that around.  I gave up my gym membership and don't even walk anymore.  I'm too tired!

My rheumy has really tried to encourage me to lose weight as it will help my fatigue.  She suggested the DVD from Leslie Sansone, "Walk Away the Pounds."  It's something you can do in your home.  I ordered it several weeks ago and it is sitting collecting dust. :-[  Maybe this thread will be what I need to get moving again!

Jackie

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
For those of you trying to gain some weight I want you to know that Walmarts Equate brand French Vanilla supplement is really good cold with some vanilla ice cream added.  ::) ::) ::)

I will come back some time and talk about my "extra wight" and prednisone. Irish ;D