Author Topic: Methotrexate dosage  (Read 250 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Methotrexate dosage
« on: January 11, 2022, 05:08:43 AM »
Dear Sjogen's Angels,

I haven't posted for quite a while.  Now I have a question, so I've come to the place to find out!

My Rheumatologist put me on Methotrexate last Fall, in order to try to wean me off steroids (Medrol) which I've been taking for a condition called Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

What I'm wondering is how much Methotrexate do you take?  I'm at .8 ml injected once a week.  I still haven't been able to reduce my Medrol without return of the PMR Symptoms.  But I understand that it takes a while for Methotrexate to become effective.

I am having very difficult side effects from the Medrol (skin and gastrointestinal) and want to stop it.

How much Methotrexate do you take? 

Regards, Elaine (aka Carolina)
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
Re: Methotrexate dosage
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:28:19 PM »
Hello Elaine.

I always took methotrexate tablets, never tried the injectable. It has been may be 6-8 years since my last dose, so I forget the milligrams but I took 6 tablets all at once...once a week. The reason I quit it was bc I was having basal and squamous cell skin cancers several times a year.  The worst was my upper lip...large area and it never healed properly...I had mohs surgery on it

Anyways, the reason for my post is bc I had to take folic acid daily.....I would imagine you will need to also...so make sure they RX it for you.

Good luck......take care.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Carolina

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 07:51:11 AM »
Thanks eye2dry.

I do take Folic acid.   
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

meirish

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:17:14 PM »
I was on it for several different times but not for many months. I always got bad infections. I think I was on 10 mgm every week plus the folic acid. The second time a different doctor tried it he gave me 12 mgm. I am not sure, but I am wondering if the dosage is based on weight. You would have to ask.

It does take some time to kick in and it seems like it was more than 4 to 5 months. That is something else you would have to ask your doctor. Has the doctor advised you to start tapering your dose of Medrol? You may have to taper one mgm at a time and not in a big hurry. Hopefully you could call and talk to the doctors nurse about this. Have they got you on omeprazole or something to help heal your stomach up.

There is also a drug called Carafate or Sucralfate I believe it is. I may have spelled it wrong. It really works well to settle the gut. This drug is a big honker of a pill that you place in glass and add some liquid...usually water.....maybe a tablespoon or 2 and it dissolves quite fast and is called a slurry. It looks and tastes like liquid chalk. There are some "rules" about taking it before and after food and also timing with certain medications. But it really does work well. I have not seen Docs using it much the past years that I worked and no doc has mentioned it to me. I had to ask for it and still use it on occasion for a few days. Very worth while checking on this. It may cause some constipation but if it settles your stomach it is worth it. That is what laxatives, dates, raisins, etc are for. Good luck. Hugs. meirish

Carolina

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 04:15:22 AM »
Thanks eye2dry and Irish.

I think things are improving.  I began the taper again, very slowly, and symptoms seem gone, for now.

I need some good things going for me.  In another post I'll talk about the sharp increase in the neuropathy of my gastrointestinal system...just another gift of my disordered Immune system.

I know some of you may be experiencing this, too.

I just cannot believe how my Immune System disorders this keep increasing....

Love, Elaine