Author Topic: Thyroid levels  (Read 373 times)

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
Thyroid levels
« on: January 06, 2022, 05:26:48 AM »
Hi to all.

My family doctor had me come in for my yearly thyroid check....of course had labs done.
My TSH came back at 8.25......never had it over 5 in the past. I take 50mcg of Synthroid daily.
No wonder the weight gain and sluggishness.
Anyways....I hope he increases meds.

Anyone else have fairly stable TSH results for years then boom....goes up?

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Thyroid levels
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 06:12:38 AM »
I had a thyroidectomy at 20, and my levels stayed stable until my first pregnancy when they jumped around, stabilized after until my next one, then settled in unchanged for years, until menopause, Took a lot of juggling then over a couple of years, but have been stable ever since, so I'm apparently very hormonally interlinked LOL
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 10:07:20 PM »
My TSH was around 9 when first found to be high high(or low) depending how we relate.

I was medicated and got it down for many years and then for some reason it started going to 2 then one and it bounced around terribly for about a year and half. Had to up and down dose and do rechecks and finally settled down. I have no idea what changed things at that time. Just now I am wondering if I happened to have a levothyroxine made by a different manufacturer.?? Nothing else going on then that I could think of at the time. meirish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 09:11:50 PM »
My family Dr increased my Synthroid, nearly doubled the dose. I was taking generic Synthroid(levothyroid) but he wrote DAW for synthroid.

Question what is the difference of being hypothyroid versus Hashimoto disease.? 

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Floridalady

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 06:02:55 AM »
Shelley,

My Cleveland Clinic endocrinologist told me to ALWAYS take name brand Synthroid. Generics can make the levels bounce around. I am the opposite. After years of taking 75mcg a day I now take 75mcg 5 days a week and we try to keep my levels around 1.

Hashimoto?s is autoimmune.

Anna

meirish

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 09:52:11 AM »
There is hypothyroid (low levels hormone secreted) and hyperthyroid(high or too much hormone secreted.

You can have Hashimotos....generally with hypothyroid but not always present when first diagnosed with thyroid issues.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 1989 and I don't know if ever had TPO blood level done. This is thyroperoxidase level and shows up elevated in autoimmune thyroid disease. My TPO was checked in 2006 and I was elevated a lot and diagnosed with Hashimotos at that time. This is when the body is sending out all these antibodies that choose the thyroid gland to destroy. Normally antibodies destroy bacteria/viruses, etc.

One should always have the TPO blood work done when you have thyroid disease. A person can have Hashimotos with hyperthyroid also and at times have no thyroid issues but still have the antibodies against the thyroid. When this is the case docs will often place a person on low doses of thyroid hormone.

Also, I was told to always take Synthroid for hypothyroid and not the levothyroxine. Unfortunately, the insurance companies don't always pay for the synthroid so have to take the generic. Have a good day. meirish
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:19:42 PM by meirish »

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »
Hi  :)

My thyroid levels have gone up and down ever since diagnosis. Levothyroxine (same as Synthroid) doses have been adjusted accordingly. sometimes up - sometimes down.

I feel  best when my TSH is a bit lower than recommended. my endocrinologist told my GP not to let it rise above 2 .... but a bit below 1 is best.

hope you feel better soon.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

meirish

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 09:32:55 PM »
Scottie, I always seemed to do well with my TSH around 2 to 3 and then I changed doctors a few years ago. This doc thought it should be lower number and he and I would talk and I would succumb to his reasoning. Well, as time went on I had so many other issues kicking up that I was not paying attention to the thyroid. Last winter I went through the portal checking my blood work and discovered that in the last year and a half my TSH had been trending down and neither me nor the doctor noticed it.
It was at 0.19 last January. The reason neither doc or I caught this is because the lab had not highlighted it like they usually do when a test is abnormal.

Well, that explained my increased nervousness and very bad couple of months of insomnia. Got my dose increased and things are now better. However, I had been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease about 6 months earlier and had put myself on a low sodium, potassium diet and watched the fats and proteins also. To help get my creatinine levels lowered. Well, I had been losing weight consistently every month and ended up losing 40 pounds. But the higher dose of thyroid hormone probably helped. ;D

The one thing I did learn is that when watching foods rot improve kidney health just cutting down on the fats, sodium, proteins causes one to lose weight as we don't eat as much pizza, lazing and all those salty fatting snacks. I tell people to quit counting calories and cut out the bad foods...also the processed food with all the salt and potassium. Those foods really doo put on the weight. However, one has to cheat at times or life isn't as fun. Using the onion and garlic powders, thyme, sage, and all these great spices keeps you from missing the salt. Really does help and one feels better also. Can't say it helped the autoimmune but that is life, isn't it. Take care. meirish