Author Topic: Meloxicam  (Read 327 times)

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
Meloxicam
« on: January 05, 2022, 09:38:54 AM »
Anyone here take Meloxicam 20 mg daily?
My new rheumatologist prescribed it last month, I filled it and have not taken it yet.
Inserts first warni g...highlighted even was risk of heart attack....even if you have no existing  heart problems...risk for you too..

Any problems with this drug folks?

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

meirish

Re: Meloxicam
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 08:41:53 PM »
I had to go look this drug up....it is the same as Mobic which I have given as a registered nurse when I was working. It is in the DMARDS class of drugs which is like naposyn or alive...ibuprofen, etc and the DMARDS I looked up seem to all have this warning.

When I was nursing I did see a couple patients that had gastrointestinal bleeds or bleeding from the stomach usually. One has to always eat toast at least or some substantial food before taking these meds. A cracker or two isn't enough. I have seen vaginal bleeding taking DMARDS but don't remember seeing a heart attack or stroke. Remember that all drugs have side effects.

In all the drug studies done prior to FDA approval people have to write down every single thing that bothers them on the days of the study. If they are in the study for 6 months and have a runny nose they have to write it down. If someone has a heart attack it gets written down and most time has nothing to do with the study. The researchers have to run through all the peoples complaints, interview people and figure out which side effects can be possibly from the drug.

Every doctor seems to have their favorite NSAIDS to use on people with certain symptoms and that is probably why your doc gave you that particular drug. Next time you see him ask. Also make sure to eat food and drink water with meds and take as the doctor orders. Good luck. meirish

Jenny

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 05:20:28 AM »
I have taken it daily for years with no issues. I have bad arthritis and it takes the edge off.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

eye2dry

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 05:20:43 AM »
Thank you Irish for the  information. I did notice that I put down 20 mg a day. , my mistake....it is 15mg.
I remember back when I was working in family practice as an LPN...the doctors were writing for Celebrex and Vioxx. Eventually Vioxx was discontinued  st side effects , cardio related.

Shelly

eye2dry

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 05:22:17 AM »
Thank you Jenny.
I am going to start it today WITH food.

Shelly

eye2dry

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »
WOW.
I can not believe how much better I feel. My joint pain has really lessend...almost none. I am happy so far with the Meloxicam.