Author Topic: Going through old medical records  (Read 344 times)

meirish

Going through old medical records
« on: December 30, 2021, 08:31:51 PM »
I have been getting medical records ready for my trip to my new neurologist. I had not gone through these for many years. I have to tell you that I saved the most important ones and I am glad I did as reading them has reminded me of some of the ordeals and symptoms I went through that I forgot.

The worst records were the many years of dental records. I kept track of all my visits and what was done and the infections and medications I was on. It was hard to go through these and be reminded of all the root canals and teeth that I had pulled  and all the infections. Sometimes on 2 different antibiotics for 10 days. I didn't count the times but must have been over 20 times. Such bad infections that I would tell the docs sometimes that I could feel the infections above my top teeth and behind my nose. I would sleep on my left side always so that the infection would drain out if necessary and not go to my brain.

I am not telling this to you to make you feel sorry for me. I don't need that as we all know that we are in the same boat. I am mentioning this to remind you of what strong wondrous people we had to become. Much of my medical stuff was up to 40+ years ago and yet there is stuff going on in my life today that demands doctors and procedures. All of us have had to endure so much and all of it is very personal to each of us. It affected our lives and maybe it affected the people around us.

Sometimes I have wondered if the people around us ever really knew how much we suffered getting through days, events, parent conferences, birthday parties, preparing meals, washing clothes, cleaning house, etc. We all managed to do this...maybe not as much as we wanted or as good as we thought we should, but we managed to lead a life that did have some meaning to us and to our families.

At the time i can remember having all that fatigue and struggling through working all day and coming home and resting some and then doing some more. Taking my temperature often sometimes, calling the doctor for more medication, researching new symptoms or health issues and struggling to find a doctor, having surgeries and other illnesses that were not related at all to autoimmune but had to be dealt with.

My heart was sad for the hard work that it involved to get through my days and weeks at times and for the inconvenience it was for me and my family to have to deal with chronic illness. I feel like my whole life was centered around so much illness for me and my husband who was another autoimmune patient.

And then I remember the many glorious sunsets I watched at my kitchen sink doing dishes and the joy of the new garden coming up, the flowers I planted in spite of thinking I would die before I got them in the pots. All the joyous things all of us have done in spite of it all. What a group of awesome, unbelievable people we had to develop into to endure our issues and live our lives. It was hard, it is hard, it is a lonesome journey at times. Tonight I talked with my son who is at the Denver, Colorado airport waiting for a plane that is 3 hours late to bring his family back to Minnesota. They left for a trip on Christmas Eve and I missed them and spent the holiday without any of my other kids who had plans with family out of state also.

This son called me from the airport tonight and we talked for 1/2 hour and my heart is full. He is 49 years old and his pregnancy was sort of an autoimmune nightmare of issues and no doctor had any idea what was wrong with me back then. My mother in law told me years later that she didn't know if I would live through the pregnancy. I was miserable but did not know I looked that bad. But I am so blest. I lived through that and a whole lot more and lived to love and raise my family and  care for my husband at the end. What more can any of us hope for in this life. It was never ordained that life is without pain and suffering.

So raise your heads up high people...all of you with autoimmune disease and other chronic disease. We are all survivors!
Bless you all and may you have a Happy New Year meirish

Confused

Re: Going through old medical records
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 12:07:09 AM »
If your son is stuck in Denver tomorrow he should get a hotel room asap and I don't think he will have to check in until later in the day so he could cancel but there is a huge snow storm coming in and I don't know how that will affect things.  The planes were slated to be full over Christmas but between the virus and crews being sick and dumb people attacking flight attendants which means the crew has to land at the nearest airport and will likely run out of flight time for the day so that throws the schedule off.

I would suggest maybe a couple of days that he gets a hotel and make the reservation fast if he can get no help.  Remember for him to be especially nice to the gate agents who are under the gun and tired of being yelled at for something they could not control.  There is also a huge fire north of Denver that looks like it has destroyed a town and there are evacuations from Boulder down.
Winds at 115 mph but they are dying down some so maybe some help.  This could affect flight crews.  Lots of different companies have been affected by the storms and sickness.  I hope your son will catch a flight on a good airplane!  Otherwise he better get a hotel for a number of days unless he is lucky enough to be staying with someone!
You are blessed Irish!  And a survivor for sure!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:01:29 PM by Confused »

meirish

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 05:57:16 PM »
Thank you for all your good advice. My son is a mechanic for a major airline so he has good info. I got a text at 12.30AM last night and they were just boarding the plane and at 3:30AM a text saying they were just getting home. They were so darned lucky. They sort of take trips on a quick decision and have had some long waits sometimes.

It would drive me crazy but they don't seem to get upset. I think they don't get so upset because as all major airlines do the employees get a price break on their tickets. They don't get first choice of seats and have to always fly standby unless they pay the full price. Also, we did not get the snow and wind that we expected to get in Minnesota. Must have gone south of us.

I don't have the patience to sit for hours and hours in an airport!!!!!!!!!meirish

Confused

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 06:15:33 PM »

I am so glad to hear he made it home.  Space A used to be lovely back when there were lots of planes and lots of empty seats.  But that was years ago before
9/11.  That stopped it being easy to fly and when I was hit with sjogrens I no longer could handle waiting in line and the rules were really tight.  Not a good way to travel if you are not healthy and able to handle a possible stay over somewhere.

Even then certain places could be a bear to get into and it was best to ignore going to those places unless you had senority which meant how many years you have worked for the airline.  However, a mechanic would be needed at his home base especially now!  I am very glad he made it out as it is a disaster here and I expect many will be here for quite a few days.

The airlines were surprised to see the increase in people wanting to fly and then that virus hit and it is moving fast.