Author Topic: Cataract initial appointment to set up for surgery and help  (Read 357 times)

Confused

Cataract initial appointment to set up for surgery and help
« on: December 29, 2021, 06:38:33 PM »

I have suddenly had my slight cataracts turn into I am having trouble and need them removed.  I was thinking I needed glasses for distance and use the ones you can get at store for reading but no, glasses are not recommended as it appears I would probably need surgery before I really got any use out of the glasses.

Problem:  I had a major reaction to the Covid vac when I took it in August and and add a ton of stress, an insane doctor and I think I have taken a pretty bad drop in things from the sjogrens, no doubt and this could be my new place or it is possible I might be able to recover a bit more.  Problem is that after all this time Denver has decided to turn major cold with a major front and probably 10 inches of snow here starting Friday.  I always react to bad, cold weather before it hits.  Am I stupid to take the initial work up as they will want to know what type of lenses I want.  I guess they can possibly correct distance or reading and perhaps more if you want to pay more.

okay to take initial work up or should I wait.  The weather people just dropped the news on us tonight and of course my appointment will be tomorrow and I am already not ok from the coming storm as this is when things start hurting big time.  No steroids caused this as I can not take them.  Covid is starting to run high where I live which is not a good sign as I have no immunity.

Suggestions please.

meirish

Re: Cataract initial appointment to set up for surgery and help
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:10:43 PM »
I had both cataracts removed in Jan of this year. I had them done 2 weeks apart. The procedure is not nearly as stressful as other surgeries that I had.  They give you an IV med in the arm to just keep you calm. I was awake during both of the surgeries. No pain and doc explained things to me as he went along. He asked if I wanted him to tell me what he was doing and I did. Helps to know what is going on and gives you an idea what the surgery consists of.

I had to choose which lens I wanted before surgery...which is normal. I chose to see goo far and use glasses for reading.. I thought not having got mess with glasses when driving was a good deal and I do like it. I have glasses that I can wear all the time that are bifocals but I usually leave them off when I drive. I use the glasses when I read. The hardest time with glasses now in at the grocery store.

I plan to get a pair with half lens that sit on lower nose for shopping at the grocery store. I end up taking my glasses on and off when at the grocery store and figured out that a different pair of glasses would solve the problem for me. I just like looking distance without the glasses as I think I see better then. The worst part of the surgery was afterwards. We have to avoid bending over for so many days so that the lens sort of settles and heals in place. It seemed like every time I got up to walk around I was bending over to pick something up off the floor or something. I finally started carrying my pickup stick thingy with the pinchers on it to pick up things. This reminded me not to bend over also.

So glad I had them fixed early before I couldn't drive, etc. I was starting to need to use a flashlight to read my books as the lamps weren't enough. It is so worth it to have done. Then covid was starting to get bad when I had them done and I had to have the covid testing done before both surgeries. Good luck. meirish

Confused

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:14:48 PM »

Thank you so much Irish.  You helped me a lot.  Uh not bending over means I better get those pincher deals as it seems I am always bending to get something.  I never would have considered that.  The long distance is what I plan to go for.  I already have to use the reading glasses at the grocery store.  (Did they suddenly make everything so darn small to read plus hide the dates of use?)
I feel better that you could stay awake and ask what they were doing.  That would definitely work for me.  I do not like not knowing what is going on.  Drives me nuts.  Plus I have been in situations when they think you were knocked out but weren't and I overheard some interesting things that told me to get away from a certain doc. asap.  Sad for the nurses as they realized they were going to have to do double the work without any added help.
Should not be like this.  The Covid deal could be an issue as I was told I was allergic to the first Vac. and I have so much trouble with things I will have to see how that one plays out.
I do like your idea on the grocery store.  I am so glad you wrote!  I cannot thank you enough!

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
I'm facing the same thing soon. My concern is my MCAS. I'm afraid of reacting to the meds used after surgery .. and worse than that .. the lens itself.

EEK.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 07:58:57 PM »
THe cataract surgery is really not as bad as one would think it would be. It doesn't take long either. Probably 45 minutes tops. It is like fast and drive 30 miles and do the paperwork and it takes less time for the surgery than it does from some of the other stuff.

It is very clinical and the whole surgery makes sense when they tell you each time they do something. Helps for me to know and really is so interesting and amazing that they can do it this way now. When I was in nurses training people had to lie in bed on their back with sand bags on both sides of their head to prevent them from moving. Didn't want you to sneeze or cough. It was really an ordeal recovering from the darned surgery.

I have not had any issues and it is really weird to think that my vision should be the same forever with the new lens. High tech stuff for sure. If you get nervous in spite of the med and I doubt you will.....just do a little deep breathing as there is no  pain...some feelings of pressure that is not much and they told me when it would happen. It makes sense and isn't scary then. Good luck to you both. meirish

Confused

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 10:55:27 PM »

Thank you Irish,

As it turns out the gal who was to measure me and such has Sogren's!!!!!  She was such a help and confirmed what you had said so I have opted to stay awake instead of versed.  I would never take that!  It should take about 15 minutes with 10 to recover?  It will make my eyes a bit drier so I will have to make sure I keep on the restates plus medicare has some drop they pay for that will take the place of having to do drops in your eye for something else.

She has had as good of luck as I have as far a doctors go.  However she did give me the name of two who are excellent but a bit far away.  However I will see if I can get into a doc that is understanding and perhaps switch if I can get good solid write ups and that should make it easier to transfer if there is a good doc down here.  I do need to see someone who cares and there is telehealth for bad times. I hate the way doctors treat you here and so does she.

I did not know Mexatrexate(sp) could cause major eye issues.  She figures she is not taking something she sees not helping and we both wonder why there is only one way they give you the meds. Since we are all different with Sjogren's you can not treat everyone the same way.

And you are amazing with all you have going on.  I again am so glad for your help and reassurance.  Eyes are so important and I guess my astigmatism is more in my lense and not in the retina!  I suppose all those weird floaters will reappear but maybe I will be lucky to have the resettle where I cannot see them.  I am so glad things have switched and again so happy you shared!  Surgery won't be until March!

jazzlover

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 02:04:37 PM »
Confused,

Are you on methotrexate?
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
I have taken versed with all my surgeries that are local, etc. It is really a great drug as it gives some minor sedation and also one doesn't remember the pain that you experience. I have it for all my colonoscopies, my teeth extractions at the oral surgeon where I had many teeth extracted. So much better than getting all numbed up. I can't tell you how many times I have had it as I have had so procedures and minor surgeries. Had it when I had my toe amputated in March. I was awake for the whole thing and could talk to the nurse, etc. It depends on how much you get. Sometimes I would be a little asleep and other times awake and talking...depends on the severity of the procedure and pain it caused.

You can talk to the doctors about it. When I had my eyes done I told them just a little bit and that I didn't want to be sleeping. It was great as I was awake and talking but not anxious. As a nurse I am so thankful for this drug as it has ended suffering from so many procedures that don't need a heavier sedation. It does help to talk with the doctors as sometimes what we hear from other people is not always the whole story as there are often extenuating circumstances that patients may not be aware of. Also, many people do not talk with their doctors.

I did not mention to you that I did not have any sedation at all with my first cataract surgery. Reason being, my blood sugar was quite low when I got to the hospital and I had to drink orange juice. They told me they could not do my surgery with any sedation due to my drinking fluids. I could either go home and come back at another time or have it without sedation. I had gone through the fasting and my daughter in law had taken the day off from work to take me and I was darned if I would make her do that again. So, I had no sedation.

The doc was very good about talking me through it. He told me there was not pain but that I would feel pressure on occasion and he would let me know ahead of time. I was in such awe of what I saw with the different light and color when he did the surgery and I did not feel pain. But, the couple of days after surgery I was totally exhausted and I thought it was from the stress of the anticipation of pain and just going without sedation. Nothing happened but I knew that I didn't want to go without some sedation the next time. I got to talk with the doc and decide how much of the medication I would take. I understood the dosages as I am a nurse. The small amount I took was great. Just enough to keep me from the anticipatory anxiety. I did fine the first surgery pain wise but the anxiety was what was hard on me. Just so you know. We don't get our eyes operated on much so it is a different experience to have. I was not upset about having no sedation the first time but just knew that I didn't want to feel so exhausted after the next surgery.

Good luck on what ever decision you make. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 02:00:08 PM »
Thanks for the info, irish.

I'm not afraid of Versed either. I did go into A-fib after my last colonoscopy, but no one knows what caused it. I suspect the imbalance of electrolytes, myself.

Confused

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 04:06:18 PM »
No Jazzlover I am not on mexatrexate. 

I have had some major reactions to meds and tend to really be sure I have to have something before I will take it.  The dang pneumonia shot slayed me up for about 6 months.

meirish

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 05:04:59 PM »
With atrial fib anything could have set it off and at the same time nothing at all can set it off. My husband had it for many, many years and we did a lot different meds, blood thinners, etc. It is a challenge that is for sure. take care meirish