Author Topic: Progesterone eyelid cream for dry eyes  (Read 470 times)

Maria3667

• Sicc'a ff it!
Progesterone eyelid cream for dry eyes
« on: November 16, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried progesterone eyelid cream for dry eyes? According to a study dated 2007, progesterone was able to relieve dry eyes better than testosterone.

They also mention HRT including estrogen & progestins (synthetic progesterone) increased dry eyes.

To me, this explains a lot. My dryness issues hit me when there was a sudden jolt in menstrual pattern at age 30. Thus leading to severe dryness, estrogen dominance and ensuing endometriosis (+ surgical removal of fibroids).

However, no doctor would treat me with progesterone. For the past 25 years I've often wondered if I have Sjogren's (or 'sicca') or a hormone deficiency disease?

After 3 weeks of progesterone eyelid cream the dryness is finally clearing up  :) !
53. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

meirish

Re: Progesterone eyelid cream for dry eyes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »
Have you ever had your gynecologist do blood work to measure your estrogen and progesterone??? I had that done years ago and was low but that was after I had my uterus, tubes and ovaries out many years before. I took estrogen for 12 years or so and then quit that. I had lots of health issues but dry eyes was the last symptom I had associated with Sjogrens. I had dry mouth 25 years earlier and started with huge dental issues and losing teeth early on. Other symptoms as well but no doc ever thought of Sjogrens back then. Took me about 30 years to get diagnosed. Good luck. perish

Maria3667

• Sicc'a ff it!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 04:23:27 AM »
They measured it and everything was within range. However, early studies already demonstrated the range is not at stake, but the ratio progesterone / estrogen is in Sjogren's patients.

When my menses dried up to just a trickle at age 30 (same time the dryness issues appeared), the explanation the gynaecologist gave was: "Your estrogen level is so high it stems the bleeding."

Little did I know endometriosis was building up in my system & forming huge fibroids thus blocking the natural flow from the uterus. This may happen when estrogen is unopposed by progesterone.

When I suggested progesterone measurement, the gynaecologist blew me off. "No use," she concluded, "As the level fluctuates throughout the day."

If only I had the knowledge of today! I would have banged on every door to get progesterone supplementation!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:27:28 AM by Maria3667 »
53. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

araminta

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »
Yes I tried it, Maria, it did nothing for me.  :(
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Maria3667

• Sicc'a ff it!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 03:40:28 PM »
Hi Araminta,

Do you remember which type of progesterone? And the strength?

meirish

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 10:10:29 PM »
No, this was almost 30 years ago. You would have to talk with your doctor about getting an oral progesterone. Also, I don't know your age but if you are premenopausal one usually has to take another hormone along with the progesterone. I can't remember for sure what the pill was called. These 2 pills are needed to help the uterus shed the lining every month and remain healthy and less apt to develop cancer....taking progesterone orally ir you still have your period is a dangerous thing to do.

If I have this wrong I want someone to correct me. I am 78 years old and that is long in my past. I only had to take the progesterone which is estrogen because I had my ovaries removed and my uterus and tubes removed. I was 47 at the time and almost menopausal.

I don't know what kind of eye drops you are using for your dry eyes but I hope you are getting second opinions as there are one or 2 new ones out there. I don't know how much the eye docs are using them or how well they work. Just heard a couple of new ones had come out in the past couple of years but I have been on Restasis for years. I started these when my eyes first started getting dry so got a head start on treating the inflammatory process that occurs. Good luck. meirish

araminta

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 03:23:24 AM »
Maria, it was a few years ago and I'm afraid I don't remember the brand or strength.   It was progesterone only, and I was post-menopausal.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Maria3667

• Sicc'a ff it!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
Hi Araminta,

Thanks for your reply.

The study mentions the cream used was 15%, which is quite strong. For me it's been very beneficial, so far.
I used only testosterone eyelid cream before at 5%, which was great before menopause, but seemed to peeter out as the years progressed. Now I'm 4 years in menopause so I guess the hormonal interaction is different.

Hope you'll find relief soon  :)

araminta

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 06:30:18 AM »
Thank you, Maria.

I've been googling progesterone creams online, and I think it was probably the Wellsprings Serenity cream I used - which contains 2.34 per cent progesterone.   So maybe it just wasn't strong enough. 

Very glad you've found something that helps. :)