Author Topic: Flare after dental cleaning  (Read 631 times)

Deb 27

Flare after dental cleaning
« on: December 01, 2021, 05:24:15 PM »
So, has anyone ever experienced a flare after a dental cleaning??? I had one this afternoon and I am aching all over tonight!!! My mouth and gums hurt too. I am guessing the release of bacteria from my mouth into my bloodstream stimulated my immune system. Interesting and sort of scary. I wonder if I should ask for antibiotics next time???
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Flare after dental cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 03:30:50 AM »
Prophylactic antibiotic treatment used to be much more common in any dental patients with any kind of susceptibility, like heart conditions, immunosuppression or known infection, but they seem to have fallen out of favour in some places, possibly due to the ever increasing resistant organisms. I would think a discussion with your dentist and/or your doctor might be the best way to decide.

Another option might be release of muscle tension, if you, like I, tense up without even realizing while in the chair. No matter what my dentist is doing, I try to pick one controllable muscle group ( usually my hand) and focus on keeping that relaxed. I find that by being sure one area is relaxed I can then let the relaxation travel out from there to my whole body, and I no longer have the "run over by a truck" feeling I used to get after dental work.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Confused

Re: Flare after dental cleaning
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 07:36:56 AM »

Hope you are better today.  Not likely but if your pain increases in one area above a tooth or if a tooth starts hurting go back in, and have them check it unless they did a really good x-ray check.  I have had 2 teeth that were bad and completely missed by the dentist.  It always helps if the dentist is there and looks at an x-ray.  It took about a week or so after a cleaning before the pain hit and in both cases the dentist just could not understand how my tooth could hurt when the so called cleaning picked up nothing.  Two different dentists who just could not understand that it is common for a tooth to go bad and it will be from underneath the tooth where they normally see the cavity by just looking at the tooth.  The third tooth hurt like heck only it turns out that the reason it hurt was because the one next to it (which had had an earlier root canal) had managed to  break through the gum and was dripping the infection so that one did not hurt, but it did spread to the tooth next to it which had had no root canal and I got to have my two front teeth taken out.  Lets say cut out!

Too long of a story and hopefully your teeth  are fine by today.