Author Topic: Treatments and Remission  (Read 356 times)

acer455

Treatments and Remission
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:02:10 PM »
Hi just want to know about the treatments for Sjogrens like steroids and immune suppressants and experience with this stuff and how painful is this to deal with and have anyone gone into remission??

meirish

Re: Treatments and Remission
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 02:49:10 AM »
Hi, I have had immunosuppressants but don't do well on them as I have had severely low t-cells and I would always get an infection. Sooo, these are not in my wheel/house anymore per immunologist. I have been on low dose steroids since around 2005 for my Myasthenia Travis and this has helped my myasthenia but has not helped my sjogrens as far as I can tell. I have also been on hydroxychloroquine and find it worth taking for the fatigue and the relief of discomfort from body pain.

Everyone is so different and the only way to find out is to do the treatment or med that doctor suggests after researching and asking questions. Don't ever go into a new pill or treatment without educating yourself. That is the best thing we can do for ourselves. It helps us understand what these things will do to our body and it gives us a sense of control over a situation that we have very little control over.

The thing to realize is that most people with Sjogrens don't stay in a flare or with an aggravating symptom forever. WE may not go into complete remission much of the time but we will have times when we feel better. It is always interesting to get rid of a symptom as we know that we may not get that back for a while as something else will crop up. Some people have just a few things going on and other people deal with more on their plate. Some of this is hard to sort out as most people have more than one autoimmune disease and it is often hard to know which disease is responsible for the symptom.

The best thing you can do is to just forge ahead in life. She days are better than others and we have to adjust out habits and living style to accommodate our fatigue, etc. If anything we appreciate life more than people who never have an ache or a pain and that is something that we can cherish. Good luck and take care. meirish