Author Topic: shoulder tendon  (Read 421 times)

bluegardenia

shoulder tendon
« on: September 10, 2021, 06:11:45 PM »
hi , since some months I had pain on my shoulder and it came out that playing with my dog and launching a ball to him was the reason.
so I almost quit that but one day making a movement I had very bad pain and I went to make ultrasound that showed that my shoulder tendon has a hole, its cut. I made some therapy, I cannot find the name in English but its something painful, usually its made three times every ten fifteen days and should be anti inflammatory. they told me that at my age 72 and with Sjogrens there is no  surgery because it could break again so I was wondering if somebody has the same , if they found some medicine, may be collagen or hyaluronic or some kind of injection. I am doing laser therapy now and physiotherapy. its difficult to undress, take off a tee shirt or even dry my hair, just to explain the difficult movements. and obviously I cannot play with my dog anymore  that was one the few things that made me (and him)happy.
ciao
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: shoulder tendon
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 05:49:22 AM »
Sounds like the tendon in question is part of the rotator cuff, and I know how painful that is, from many years of personal experience, both sides. Continuing strengthening exercises even after you get some relief, can help strengthen the area, but otherwise anti-inflammatories and ice have been my best friends in a flare.

It's so sweet that one of your first concerns is playing with your furry friend! I've found that I can still toss underhand pretty well, but there are hand held tennis ball launchers available, at least around here, that "shoot" the ball out for the dog to catch or chase and bring back. A front closure bra, and tops that button or zip instead of having to pull over your head, also help. I kept my hair short and a very simple "wash and wear" style for many years, that made it easier to brush or comb.

I did have one steroid injection, which helped immensely, and lasted for quite a while, so that by the time it wore off I had actually rested the joint and it was better after that for a long time.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 07:07:32 AM »
Dear Blue Gardenia, 

Oh, you have my sympathy.  Our shoulder is the only joint that  have a range of 360 degrees (make a circle).....very complex.
And I only realized how much I needed my shoulders when both became damaged.

I haven't had any of the therapies you have described.  I can't understand how physical therapy could 'fix' a tear in your shoulder, or the disintegration of bones. 

My right shoulder is literally falling apart.  And one of the problems is the tendon (rotator cuff).  Other problems include loss of cartilage from the bones, as well a disintegration of some of the bones.  There are small pieces crunching around inside.

I cannot raise my arm above my head or reach behind my back.  I have intense pain if I use my shoulder at all.

The orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulders wants to do a 'reverse shoulder replacement'.    The reverse surgery is supposed to 'spare' further damage to the rotator cuff.

Reverse surgery is when the shoulder mechanism is reversed.

Description
A conventional shoulder replacement device mimics the normal anatomy of the shoulder: a plastic "cup" is fitted into the shoulder socket (glenoid), and a metal "ball" is attached to the top of the upper arm bone (humerus). In a reverse total shoulder replacement, the socket and metal ball are switched. The metal ball is fixed to the socket and the plastic cup is fixed to the upper end of the humerus.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/reverse-total-shoulder-replacement/

I do NOT want to have this surgery, of course.  The recovery is very painful and can take a long time.  I'm 79 so that's a factor, too.

My left shoulder is also painful, but not nearly so damaged.

Immune Disorders involve attacks by our own immune system on our organs and systems, and tendons and ligaments are often attacked.

I hope you have some improvement, Blue Gardenia.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

meirish

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 10:19:12 PM »
Those tendons can be so affected by autoimmune diseases. I read more about tendon issues in connection with Hashimotos and Sjogrens. Imagine they are affected in all of the autoimmune diseases though.

I went through a rough patch this past winter where my tendons in my wrist (which is due for 3rd carpal tunnel surgery) felt like they were stiff as a board and reminded me of the tendons in a chicken leg. They were so tight that I was afraid to make a fist or lift anything. I bought some good medical tape and would tape across my wrist on the inside going horizontally and vertically just tight enough to inhibit movement and be a reminder to behave myself. It took a few months but this became much better.

My surgery has been put off so many times by covid, other illnesses, and this summer gastric/colon bleeds and waiting for a colonoscopy not going to happen til Nov. 1st. If I get too sick I will just have to go to ER and hope they can k me in. Then son and wife were gone a lot and so I just sort of gave up. The interesting thing is that I still have strength...not great ..but passed my new neuros strength exam. I have discomfort in both my hands but the possibility of this also being a partial problem from the damage to to my spinal cord due to disc damage to my spinal cord prior to spinal fusion. This is according to my neurologist surgeon.

Have you done any warm packs to the shoulder to increase circulation which could decrease inflammation and loosen up some of the tissues. Just a thought. Good luck. meirish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 05:27:42 AM »
The tendon controlling my middle finger (right hand) tore away from the tissue holding it in place.  I had outpatient surgery to 'tie it' in place last November.

It was a complete success.   

Our Immune Disorders force us to learn more than we want to know about our bodies.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
Bluegardenia .. you have my sympathies!! I just finished 12 weeks of therapy on my shoulder. It is MUCH better now and life is good!

I wanted to pop in and tell you and Carolina that a good friend of mine in NH just got the reverse shoulder surgery and she is ONE HAPPY CAMPER!

She did exercises at home, beginning a few days after surgery and after 3 weeks of that she saw her Dr and he said she wouldn't need therapy. She is doing great and has had VERY little pain.

She has severe osteoarthritis and has had several joint replacements. This reverse surgery was a breeze for her.

Look it up on You Tube so you can see how different it is from a full shoulder replacement. It's actually designed for older patients so they can regain SOME amount of quality function with their shoulder without going thru a complete shoulder replacement with months of recovery time.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

bluegardenia

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »
thanks everybody!!
jazzlover seems that if you are in your 70 plus connective tissue disease, an operation could be impossible because after a short time the tendon breaks again
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
Thanks .. good to know.

I'm not very fond of surgeries!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 09:05:54 PM »
I ruptured a tendon in my little left finger in about 2912 or so. I was pulling a weed and the tendon just popped and hurt. I just left it and lived with it. My little finger doesn't bend and can get in the way but it was such a thin finger that I could not imagine the tendon being healthy enough to heal and not rupture again.

When I went for my revisit to have carpal tunnel surgery in 2014 the doc scolded me for not coming in and getting it fixed. Low and behold he told me I would have needed 2 surgeries. He also said you have to have it done as soon as possible so that was the end of that discussion, thank goodness. As we age with our autoimmune issues and especially when we have as much tendon involvement as I do, I think my tendons are just thin and very brittle so I don't get too wild with lifting and sudden movement with any of my body. Take care all. meirish

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 08:51:44 PM »
Blue,

Several years ago I developed horrible right shoulder and arm pain.  Sometimes it just felt like a constant dull ache but it got to the point where I couldn?t sleep cause it kept me up at night.  I even had to take time off from work because it really hurt to use it.

I had an MRI and I had tendinitis, bursitis, and something else that I can?t remember!😱.  Darn brain fog!  Anyway I tried a few weeks of therapy and really no help.  I finally got injected with a cortisone shot and that really did give me quite a bit of relief.  I wished I would have just done that first thing!

Anyway I didn?t have any tears or holes in my ligaments, but the chronic and acute tendinitis were bad enough!  The Dr who injected me told me I could come back in the future if I needed it again.  My heart goes out to you.  Ice and Ibuprophen helped a little bit but the injection worked much better for me.

I wish you well.

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

bluegardenia

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 11:36:06 AM »
Thanks for your replies. Kathy  from the ultrasound the right's arm tendon is broken end left arm is starting to be inflamed. I must say that physiotherapy and other therapies work a little and I can move better; now I want to see a surgeon to know what he thinks.