Author Topic: Methotrexate for me: I NEVER thought this would happen!  (Read 446 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Methotrexate for me: I NEVER thought this would happen!
« on: August 26, 2021, 06:46:20 AM »
My Rheumatologist has been treating my Polymyalgia Rheumatica with the standard doses of Methylprednisolone, which is a steroid like Prednisone.  After a year and a half I still need lots of the medication or the pain comes back.

SO, yesterday she said she wants to add injectable Methotrexate with the goal of exchanging Methotrexate for the steroid.  Methotrexate is far less damaging than the steroid.

I was stunned.  But I said yes.  I hate taking steroids, and I've had several side effects I can see (bruising, tearing skin) and of course there are many I cannot.  But Methotrexate?

For the 11 years I've been hanging out with you, my Sjogren's Angels, I've read about Methotrexate.

So I'm coming to you with this 'news' and looking for comfort and advice.

BTW my drug RX company is asking for justification.  I thought Methotrexate was sort of 'generic' and wonder why they care?  Any thoughts?

Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Methotrexate for me: I NEVER thought this would happen!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 07:57:54 AM »
I started on MTX initially as a steroid weaning measure, and as a result, my previously unweanable prednisone 40 mg was down to 7.5 in 6 months! I've continued to take both plus plaquenil for 16 years because its a balance that seems to be best for me.

I've never had issues with MTX side effects, except in the beginning because there were no problems and no quick response, doc thought maybe i wasn't absorbing it so I went injectable. Still no problems but the effects kicked in soon after.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 08:58:23 AM »
Elaine, I don't know of the any big reasons for  your insurance company dragging their heels about the methotrexate but the one most obvious reason would be cost. Steroids are not very expensive and the Metho. Imuran and Cellcept are higher prices drugs and insurance companies hate us taking higher priced drugs. It cost us more for the higher priced drugs and the insurance companies have to eat more of the cost due to our Part D insurance coverage.

I would not be surprised if the injectable Metho would help. Seems like many people are doing the injectable these days and it is usually in short supply from what I have read. Good luck. It will be worth it to feel better. meirish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 05:46:41 AM »
Thanks, Linda and Irish, for your clear, useful and supportive posts.

My doctor is prescribing a folic acid supplement as well.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome