Author Topic: Booster shot for weakened immune systems  (Read 1281 times)

Bobbie

Booster shot for weakened immune systems
« on: August 15, 2021, 06:23:10 AM »
Hi there.   Do Sjogren's patients qualify for the booster?  Anyone know?  thanks, Bobbie
Graves,Addison's,Sjogren's,Migraines,Restless Leg,Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis,Peripheral Neuropathy,Osteoarthritis,RA, episcleritis
 Plaquenil, Prednisone, Florinef, Synthroid, Restasis, Evoxac,Zofran,Lexapro,Gabapentin,Maxalt,Naproxen,Divaloprex,Omerpazole,Methotrexate,Remicade

jazzlover

Re: Booster shot for weakened immune systems
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 12:11:26 PM »
No thanks.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

vrystaat

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »
I believe that we do.
Sjögren's Syndrome can be associated with altered immune function, as an extraglandular effect.   
The pathogenesis of Sjögren's syndrome is unknown.

As for myself, I have had immune dysfunction for many years.
You should have a booster, as I am intending to do. Your MD should have no trouble in understandng this.
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

meirish

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
I am going to investigate this a whole lot. The problem with some of the vaccines is that they induce(or whatever the term one would choose to use) inflammatory responses in the body. These are pretty much the same as what our overactive immune system is doing. By our system over reacting it has chosen to try to kill off our tissues and organs. In normal immune systems the body is to kill off the invading bacteria and viruses, etc.

I know that some people have had extreme inflammatory responses in their lungs and other organs and ended up dying. In the early days of the disease doctors didn't understand that steroids played as important a part of treatment as they do. Because of all the disinformation out there I plan to talk to all the medical people I can and do research and hope that somehow this aspect of the illness is studied more by the researchers and info is available for us.

My granddaughter had covid in November and then had to have the vaccine in March per college demands. She was very ill for 24 hours. I worry that these people who have covid and then vaccinated are frequently having such bad reactions....could it be intense inflammatory responses????I don't know but it is worrisome to me. My opinion after much research over these many months. meirish

I have had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. Because of my autoimmune disease history I will not rush into taking a booster.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 08:55:30 AM »
hi  :)

I don't know about Sjogren's but my son has Crohn's and has just had his booster shot. Both his kids are too young to be vaccinated but are returning to school. He lives in MO and is worried about the amount of Covid on the go there.

Always best to consult with your doctor I reckon.

Take care - Scottie   :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Bobbie

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 02:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I will check it out.
Graves,Addison's,Sjogren's,Migraines,Restless Leg,Erosive Inflammatory Osteoarthritis,Peripheral Neuropathy,Osteoarthritis,RA, episcleritis
 Plaquenil, Prednisone, Florinef, Synthroid, Restasis, Evoxac,Zofran,Lexapro,Gabapentin,Maxalt,Naproxen,Divaloprex,Omerpazole,Methotrexate,Remicade

meirish

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 09:24:58 PM »
Scottie, I have heard that there is a lot of Delta in Mo. Strange how some states have more than others. I just wear my mask all the time and don't go out much...just the grocery store and Walmart which are usually one in the same.

Some articles say that IVIG helps to prevent infection with covid and others the opposite. I guess we all just so what we think is best for ourselves and take one day at a time. I have times I am planning to go to some other store and then I get this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach that tells me to just get in the car and head for home. So I do. What can I say...we live in a strange time that is for sure. Good luck and take care Scottie. Hope your son stays well also. meirish

katie1111

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 04:40:29 AM »
iI initially thought that I had only a slightly red arm after my covid vaccine.  However I have been having major problem with fatigue.  Last week my doctor said that my fatigue has been a reaction to my covid immunization and the the covid vaccine can cause a major flare in people with autoimmune diseases.  The flare can last 6 months and then will gradually resolve with no lasting effects.  He increased my prednisone and my methotrexate and I immediately started to feel better.  He told me not to get the booster without contacting him and said I needed a titer before getting a booster.  That is one doctor's opinion.
Katie1111

jazzlover

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 07:02:11 AM »
Hey, everyone ... There are meds for Covid .. why take a risk with this injection? I live in MO also, but I feel safe knowing I have the meds on hand if I were to become ill.

I also take preventatives like zinc. Vitamin C, and selenium.

I'm more concerned about the shot than the illness.

Please look for Dr Jane Ruby or Karen Kingston's info on Rumble or BitChute. Find the info. (Stew Peters often has them as guests.)

Children do not need the shot in my humble opinion!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:05:32 AM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
Kate, Thank you so much for that information. I always forget about the blood titer and is does everyone else. They should be doing this test a whole lot to prove that people do have immunity whether from the vaccinations or from having had covid or from an exposure that caused them to develop the immunity without being ill. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 07:26:54 PM »
Natural immunity is being blatantly IGNORED.

>:( >:(

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
While all information posted by our members is based on personal experience and not intended as medical advice, we urge all members to do as much research as they feel is appropriate on reliable sites, (like those connected with medical universities or research sites) and make decisions based on their own personal experience and needs, and discuss options and suggestions with their doctors
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

trc1962

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 10:23:47 PM »
As a sjogren"s person I was afraid of the vaccine, however, I also teach young kids and so I chose the vaccine, pfizer. It took 3 days and then my small fiber neuropathy went crazy and the pain was awful. I continued teaching, but required gabapentin several times a day. I then developed severe fatigue this Spring and inflammation of the pubic bone and my rheumatologist said take tylenol and see a PT. My iron is deficient, but I am not anemic, but so exhausted and shedding hair. I didn't want shot #2, number one did a number on my super charged immune system. I am single and working is a must for 5 years before I retire. Life was much better before the vaccine. These aren't easy things to decide on. I am going to request a titer and then make a decision on the booster. I am not an antivaxer, just a scared sjogrens person and I wish everyone the best as they navigate this issue.

twilite

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 12:29:20 PM »
I called my rheumatologist office last week and the doctor told the receptionist to tell people calling in if they have an autoimmune disease they should get the booster. Made it so easy so I didn't have to jump through hoops waiting for phone calls back and so on so forth.

I went yesterday morning to get my booster. Everything went pretty much as expected the sore arm the fatigue fell asleep woke up with a fever took an Advil went back to sleep.

woke up had to blow my nose had a little bloody nose very little but it was a bit shocking but it was over as fast as it started.

Worked on a fever of 99.6 to 101.5 overnight finally got it down to 99.3 today so far. I'm feeling pretty okay that's normal just a little tired probably need to go to sleep and get some rest. I took the moderna and I'm waiting for my grandson he's 23 he's going to get his second phizer today so I'm glad I'm feeling better just in case he's not so I can help him out.

I'm not one who believes in shots and injections but I don't know what else we can do. if everybody doesn't wear masks and or get vaccinated looks like this is where we're stuck.

But they seem to say that we won't need another one after this third one so that's good to know. I guess we can still catch it and pass it on to other people but we won't get sick from it so that sounds good to me. I mean not getting sick sounds good to me of course I'd never want to pass anything on to anybody else.

I still haven't started going back out since this Delta hit I hope to be able to get in for a doctor's appointment and my x-rays and blood tests and things of that nature toward the end of this year we'll see how it goes.   just biding my time here on Earth for now.

Stay safe

~twilite
65 Years Old - Diagnosed in 2008 - Secondary Sjogren' s, HypoThyroid, Fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, RA, , Pre-syncope, Hypermobility syndrome, Arthralgia, Insomnia, neuropathoy, dry mouth, eyes, low BP & Vit D, Citrulline Antibody, orthostatic hypotension, ulcer, glaucoma, brain fog, and depression

meirish

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
I just read a very interesting bit of opinion by a doctor on the vaccines. He is pro vaccine but gave a very interesting opinion that seems to be based on science and logic. He went through all the info on many of the vaccines plus a bunch of other vaccines and outcomes of them plus their side effects.

The way he explained it is he seems to feel that everyone is panicking and the big wheels are not paying attention to the past history of all infections, the reactions all vaccinations cause, the number of variants that develop from all the viruses and what took place before herd immunity was developed. He thinks that we are doing quite well considering the severity of the virus plus the amount of natural immunity that has occurred without illness, plus the immunity developed from having the covid and the immunity from the vaccine. He states that masks work some but not enough to be driving our whole society to the arguments and insulting behavior that is going on.

He basically said to quit doing all the nasal swabs as so many of them are not accurate plus the testing that should be done is to check for the antibodies in our blood streams when needed. So many people have positive nasal swabs and never get sick. This is what happens with staph aureus which is so hard to treat. The whole population as a whole could get cultured on a rotating schedule and there is always a certain percentage of people who are positive for staph but not sick. We don't isolate them. This is not my opinion this is what is in the medical literature. People should wear masks if desired and we should all do what we think we need to do about masks according to him. He said for the scope of this virus over the earth, people have panicked and not paid attention to how much we have learned and how much we have gained  to protect ourselves since this first started. We have made big headway. He said that children should worry more about getting exposed to their teachers (who are out and about the community) than to each other.

As a retired nurse with all these autoimmune diseases plus past history of immune disease also, and having had the vaccination, I still wear my mask when I am out and about people. I do not totally trust it because they do leak air both ways. However, they do corral a lot of our saliva from respiration. It is not perfect but it does probably help some. My opinion. Remember we wore these type of masks in surgery etc., years ago and who knows how well they worked. They did catch the mucus, etc but the bottom line for infection control was the disinfecting of surgical instruments and using sterile gloves and sterile dressings, gauze etc. Also, surgical suites have much better air exchanges these days. Surgical patients got infections back then and they still get infections and it would, many times, be hard to prove where these infections come from.

Another thing he talked about was SARS and MERS and the results of their infections and how long to get immunity. Sars got immunity from vaccinations and Meds not so much plus herd immunity was not achieved. This is still a dangerous virus waiting for a good vaccine. The other thing he pointed out is that with all transmittable diseases there are always deaths and always will be until the herd immunity is reached. He sort of insinuated that by all the carrying on and keeping the stress level so high amongst populations we are almost shooting ourselves in the foot and not trusting mother nature along with the vaccine do its magic.

I don't agree with everything he said but I am of the opinion that maybe mankind should just sit down and quit talking and just get the vaccine if we want and wear the masks if we choose and stay home from some activities if our gut tells us. The bottom line is even with the vaccine people are still getting infections so there are so darned many different ideas and opinions that we are totally freaking out from this. There is no answer except time and he feels that our herd immunity is getting better and better and we will soon see this virus as one we contend with every year that will be something like a bad cold/flu and the more we have it the better our bodies will become at increasing the amount and strength of our herd immunity. Won't happen overnight he said as none of the past viruses that we deal with have developed herd immunity over night. Food for thought I am thinking. meirish