Author Topic: ferritin levels and shedding  (Read 174 times)

trc1962

ferritin levels and shedding
« on: July 13, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
Hi,

I have been feeling tired, itchy skin and easy bruising and so asked my rheummy to check my iron, He ordered a cbc and said all looked fine. I kept feeling tired and noticed mild shedding (more than normal) when I washed my hair. I visited my MD/ND and he said your cbc isn't enough and he had my ferritin levels checked and I was at 25, with normal being 12-300 (quite a spread). He had me start on an iron supplement and hopefully this helps. Does anyone know if my ferritin level could cause shedding? Thanks. I am gluten intolerant so I don't always absorb well, plus I don't eat a lot of meat, but fish and chicken, Thank you.

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: ferritin levels and shedding
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 07:12:54 AM »
I have read an article (sorry, can't remember where) about low ferritin levels and hair loss, and it seems there is a connection. The rationale they gave was that, as the levels drop, the body robs the ferritin deposited in the hair follicles, resulting in damage to the root formation of the hair, breakage and hair loss.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 10:25:02 PM »
That probably explains some of my hair loss. I also have crazy thyroid at time also. My hair loss comes and goes and for some reason the right side of my head is affected more than the left. I also have a right thigh that is 1 inch less in diameter than the
the left one and my left upper arm is smaller than my left one. MY leg as been losing muscle for many years. Heck, between the autoimmune disease and the fusion area that caused damage  before I had surgery I am lucky that this isn't worse.

My ferritin level was just 25 and it has been low for years. The lowest being 5 back in 2005. It is an ongoing battle for me and I think it is basically the anemia that accompanies Sjogrens and other autoimmune disease. I usually end up getting iron infusions about twice a year and the iron pills don't do the help me much. Take care everyone. meirish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 05:05:01 PM »
Iron deficiency anemia and low ferritin levels laid me low in 2007.  I took iron tablets, 2 a day, for 10 years.  Then my iron levels were high!  So I stopped the iron tablets and so far so good.

I've been losing hair, for some other reason (or no reason, who knows?) for 4-5 years.  I'm blonde (not natural) and looked like I had a yellow lab from all the hair.  THEN it stopped this year, and suddenly I began to have some CURL in my hair.  I'm now 79, and have always had stick straight fine hair.  Suddenly some waves and body.

Honestly, I NEVER know what to expect next.  It's always something....and then, it's something else!

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.