Author Topic: IBS/Vagus nerve/gagging reflex  (Read 423 times)

araminta

IBS/Vagus nerve/gagging reflex
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:25:30 AM »
I've been having a lot of trouble with IBS(C) over the last couple of months.   

I recently saw an article online which suggested that the vagus nerve might have a lot to do with IBS.   The idea is that the brain-gut connection becomes weak in some people, causing digestive problems, and that by stimulating the nerve we might improve symptoms.

https://pearceonearth.com/how-i-cured-my-irritable-bowel-syndrome/

I've started doing the gagging thing today (not pleasant but I'd try anything) and so it's too early to say if this works, I will post again about it at a later date.   But I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this?   Does it sound like nonsense?   Has anyone else tried it?
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

meirish

Re: IBS/Vagus nerve/gagging reflex
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »
People can have irregular heartbeats that are controlled by coughing. The vagus nerve affects a lot of out body issues. Also, with any gut issue the need for probiotics is quite great lately as our diet and meds seem to screw up the digestive bacteria. This alone is really causing a lot of issues for us.

Most people don't realize that the gut produces a lot of the serotonin in our body that helps keep our mental health on an even keel. Serotonin is made in the brain also and antidepressants help keep the serotonin balance up. The brain gut balance is so important and we are only learning all this the past years. So, if gagging or coughing helps things straighten out go for it. I will add that any heart irregularity should be checked out by a doctor first to rule out any heart issue. Then if we feel something weird in our chest the doc might just tell us to cough a few times to help the electrical system get back in sync. If I said this wrong please somebody make sure to correct me. Thanks. Good luck all. meirish

bluegardenia

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »
well this thing of the vagus is very interesting to me nd I hope I will be able to explain with my poor English. this winter I had a very difficult time with digestion. I eat very well, I am Italian and follow a strict diet because I have diverticula, so no sausages no spicy things no fried things, just a very boring diet pasta rice boiled chicken  some salad some fruits, no alcohol no coffee  no coke. but my digestion is quite difficult, most of all in the evening,
I live alone, I eat and after ten minutes I am sitting with my pc or in front of the tv.
well in December one of those evenings I was quietly sitting on my sofa with the impression to have all what I had eaten stuck on in my stomack plus a a couple of bears sitting on it. nothing new but suddenly I felt that I had to go to the bathroom, not pain just hey its better to go and so I left the sofa and  made a few meters to arrive to the bathroom where everything started to turn around, I  started to sweat  and when I opened my eyes I found my self in the floor, could not move, I was freezing, I was completely wet, my head was wet and painful, could not understand if was dying, I tried to move my hands, tried to remember where was my phone  but could not move from the floor, I was terrified.when I realized that the telephone was just in front of me  near to the basin I tried to lift my arm so I saw that my hands were full of blood, so I was more and more terrified and tried with a big effort to reach the phone I called the emergency and with the help of neighbors they could come and take me to the hospital where they  gave me ten stitches on my head made all the exams.
 they told me that I had a vagal crisis. that lasted more or less six hours with vertigos.I knew already that my vagus nerve is stronger that the sympatethic, low blood pressure bradychardya, lack of reflexes but this thing related to digestion is totally new. I had another episode, less bloody but scary anyway last month, went to bed with that impression of bad digestion, woke up after three hours went to make pipi and there I stood,  sweating icy water, everything turning for half an hour, when I could reach a ring and I could call  kind of nurse who lives with me since December.  called emergency, hospital and same result after the exams, crisis of the vagus nerve. there is not a therapy they said so I am very interested on this gargling thing if it can give more strength to the vagus nerve
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

meirish

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
bluegardineia, I am by means an expert ono anything but, have you heard of gastroparesis? People with Sjogrens or having neuropathy can have slowing of the GI tract. This means that the nerves in the GI tract don't stimulate the colon to move the food along. What happens is the food travels very, very slowly and pressure can build up as the food sort of half way plugs the colon. When you drink the liquids these can also add to the pressure.

Then comes the vagus nerve which can be irritable on occasions in anyone or can be a real problem for certain people in particular. Now, blue gardenia, I see that  you have some cardiac arrythmias going on and I would really wonder if the vagus nerve acting up could cause you more trouble than many other people. If it was me I would see my cardiologist and see if he has any treatment that might prevent these attacks from being so severe. Then I would also have an appointment with a gastrointestinal doctor to see if you should have testing to diagnose and gastroparesis. There are a couple of medications that docs can use to help with this.

The problem with the gastroparesis is that is makes you feel like your food is stuck and not moving through...which is may not be.....and it can cause a person to vomit. All of these things make for a pyramid of symptoms that can result in misery. This is just something that seems to make sense to me. I may be all wrong but seems you might benefit from checking about this. Maybe running through with these issues and getting input from you primary doctor would help. Good luck and hope things can be investigated further. meirish

araminta

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 04:04:07 AM »
Thank you meirish and blue for your interesting replies.   It's amazing to find out all the different functions of the vagus nerve.

I was very sorry to hear about your vagal attacks, blue, they sound very frightening.   I hope you take meirish's advice and talk to your doctor about heart issues.

I will post again soon about results of my own experiment.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

bluegardenia

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 03:56:07 PM »
i made lots of exams to see if I have gastroparesis or achalasia and no, I do not
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds