Author Topic: Plaquenil and low WBC  (Read 233 times)

deniselb

Plaquenil and low WBC
« on: June 06, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
Hi all,

Does Sjogren's cause low WBC, and might Plaquenil improve it?

I went off Plaquenil around last September as I thought maybe I didn't need it anymore. The past few weeks I think the joint pain and fatigue that I had 10 years ago are returning, but it's hard to say as I'm 72 now and these could be due to other things.

But also low WBC has also come back. I had this before I went on Plaquenil in 2011 and not since then.

So, trying to decide whether I ought to go back on the drug.

meirish

Re: Plaquenil and low WBC
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
That is a very good question. I have many parts of the CBC that are in red as they are usually low with an occasional one that is high. This has been going on for years and docs say it is the sjogrens. I do have times when the blood work is more normal. I have never had blood work that is really bad. I have the low ferriten levels and hgb that have been low long before I went on the Plaquenil. I know when I go off of the plaquenil I find that my aches and pains come back. I went off for about 6 months one time as I had noticed my stomach heartburn was getting bad when I took the Plaquenil.

I stayed off to heal up by stomach and then went back on as I did notice all the aches and feeling more lousy returning. I have to be sure and eat when I take the Plaquenil and not lay down for a couple hours after taking it. Good luck. meirish