Author Topic: Anyone been told you might have pseudo gout?  (Read 456 times)

SjoGirl

Anyone been told you might have pseudo gout?
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi,

I detest my new rheumatologist. She has been giving me the run around since I met her two years ago and now she thinks I don't have problems from Sjogrens or RA but psuedo gout. I am scheduled to have tests done but wonder if any of you have been down this path?

SjoGirl
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

meirish

Re: Anyone been told you might have pseudo gout?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 02:09:57 AM »
Im sorry that you have a bum doctor. I have to tell you I don't know what pseudo gout is. If it is pseudo then it isn't gout which is the same as not having high uric acid so why do they call it gout. I will have to look it up cause that has me confused. I assume you are having some joints that are swollen and sore. I am going to watch what people have to say because It may be that certain parts of the country use that term.

Is there any way you can get another rheumatologist?? There is a shortage of rheumatologist around the country so probably you are going to have a drive a long way to even find one. Good luck to you. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 03:57:53 AM »
Pseudogout isn't an uncommon diagnosis, but it's now referred to as CPPD based on the formation of crystals of Calcium Phosphate, instead of uric acid which is unique to gout. It happens in people with parathyroid conditions, poorly regulated diabetes, or people with calcium or magnesium metabolization, but can also result from injury or infection. .The only definitive way to diagnosis it is with a synovial fluid biopsy, aspirated from the affected joint. The common blood markers are also common to most other forms of arthritis and autoimmune disease, so can basically say something is wrong, but not specifically what.

If by "problems from Sjogren's" you mean the more general and vague symptoms like fatigue, joint and muscle pain, please remember that they can be caused by Sjogren's, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of other conditions that may either be the cause or a contributing factor, and if the other cause is something treatable, like CPPD, it might not be a bad idea to investigate. You might be able to get something that will relieve at least part of your symptoms. Even though I have very definitive diagnostic criteria for Sjogren's, I've been worked up for a few other things, and if the results have turned out positive, I've welcomed the chance to possibly alter treatment for a new entity that might be more responsive than Sjogren's. I actually did have an arthrocentesis, and at that time any form of crystal deposit would have been identified, and there were no deposits other than granulomatous tissue, so no form of gout then, hard to say what's happening now.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 10:59:50 PM »
Thanks Linda, you always come to the rescue with answers for things. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 04:30:23 PM »
I looked it up and it sounds like issues I have.

Both of my parents had gout, so I keep a check on it.

Pseudo gout sounds quite plausible.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease