Author Topic: Choice of Covid Vaccines  (Read 326 times)

janny

Choice of Covid Vaccines
« on: March 29, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »
I know it is highly unusual to have a choice of Covid vaccine. However, I had made an appointment the first day I am eligible on Wednesday for the two-dose Pfizer. My daughter thinks I should have the Johnson & Johnson and did not know I made the appointment. To be nice, she found me a J&J vaccine on Thursday and signed me up. So, I have two appointments now and obviously, need to cancel one very soon! I am so confused. I have been researching and researching. I realize this is a lucky predicament to be in. But, now I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which one to take. There are pluses and minuses for both. Are there any scientific minds out there who have an opinion? I'm not necessarily worried about immediate flares, etc., but more concerned about long-term effects. The technology for the J&J has been around a little longer, from what I understand. Help! I am going crazy and need to cancel one so someone else can have it! Thank you for any advice!

Floridalady

Re: Choice of Covid Vaccines
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 03:07:58 PM »
Hi. My husband and I chose the Johnson and Johnson because it is made similar to current vaccines and you are one and done. I am 65 y/o and my husband is 70. Go with your gut. Which do you feel most comfortable getting.

Anna

Gorn

• Also known as Kevin
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:32:21 PM »
I am getting the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow. Just coming off a whammy of a flare, so hopefully it goes ok.
A couple family members have already had the Pfizer without much issue - so I'm thinking since we have genetic similarity ... should be good to go?

I will try to remember to report back on how it turns out.

janny

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:21:40 PM »
Floridalady, I am almost 62 and really felt the Johnson & Johnson was the way to go for me, too. But, boy, did I agonize over the decision. I tend to have OCD and this choice really brought it out. I get it on Thursday. I just feel safer with the technology, but I know it is an individual choice. Gorn, so many have gotten the Pfizer, I am sure you will be great and wonderfully protected. Thank you!!

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:58:02 PM »
Hi!

My husband received his second shot of Pfizer a week ago.  It was the first one I could get him into.  I received the J &J three weeks ago.  I could have signed up for Pfizer but didn?t think I could make the second dose due to travel arrangements.

I was thrilled to be one and done, but if I could have snagged a Pfizer at the same time as my husband, I would have gone for that too.  He just qualified for one before me due to his age. 

Either one sounds good to me!😊. I had no issues with the J&J except I felt tired the day after.  My husband felt a little achy and fatigued after his second dose of Pfizer.  He only felt a bit of arm soreness after the first.

So glad you are getting either!

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Carebear

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »
All I can say is what all our virologists have said many times. They are all effective in preventing hospitalizations and death. I know the AstraZeneca is on hold here for those under 55 years of age. But you weren't asking about that vaccine anyway.

Five days ago I had my first Pfizer shot. I had absolutely no side affects. Other than that overwhelming emotion that hit me like a tidal wave! Now that's a side effect I can live with.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Jenny

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 04:13:44 AM »
My husband and I got the J and J vaccine a few weeks ago and neither of us had any side effects. I like the fact that it was only one injection too.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

meirish

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 10:45:13 PM »
I did a lot of research and listened to a lot of medical people talk on the various ones. I chose the Johnson and Johnson and waited for it specifically and had it March 4th. I chose it because it was made from much of the old technology used in flu shots of the past. It also doesn't develop such a high response at first. Usually in the 50 to 60 percent range in the first 2 weeks. Then it goes up and by a certain number of days reaches around 90 percent efficacy.  I felt that was appropriate for me as with all the autoimmune diseases I have I was afraid that I would over react and get really ill or develope another auto immune disease and I felt 5 autoimmune diseases was enough. I also have a lot of drug allergies and am sensitive to medications.

I developed some soreness in my arm but not bad on the first couple of days. Fatigue was my main issue for about 5 days and on day 4 I had a runny nose. I just felt kind of fluey. I told my doctor and he said that is good as you know that you body is making a response. He then explained to me that he felt that the press was downplaying the significance of the efficacy of the product for some reason. As time goes on I am finding more and more positive reports on the Johnson product and I am very glad that I waited for that one.

As everyone says it really is a personal decision and the above is just how I feel. I am so glad that I chose that one. I didn't even consider that it was only the one dose. Good luck and the important thing is to just get it over with. Good luck. meirish