Author Topic: Joint replacement  (Read 746 times)

Jenny

Joint replacement
« on: March 19, 2021, 04:09:33 AM »
I had a total shoulder replacement a couple of years ago and rotator cuff surgery the next year.  The top of my thigh has hurt immensely for the past year. I thought I had torn my quadriceps and had physical therapy followed by an injection. I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon yesterday. I have bone on bone, severe arthritis and need a hip replacement.  Those along with rods and screws in my back and a spinal cord stimulator will truly make me the bionic woman! Getting old ain?t for sissies!
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Joint replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 08:37:13 AM »
Dear Jenny,

Total Shoulder Replacement is surely not for sissies of any age!  Your hip replacement should be a breeze after shoulder replacement.

My surgeon wants to do Total Reverse Shoulder Replacement because my right shoulder is bone on bone, and lots of fragments of bone in the shoulder, as well.  I am TERRIFIED because I have read of two or three years of post surgery pain from shoulder replacement surgery.

How did your recovery go?  You are younger than I, and I'm sure that may be a factor in my own recovery.

I cannot take any opioid pain medication, including Tramadol.  I can take Tylenol, but not NSAIDS.

How would I ever manage post surgery pain?

You can see how concerned I am!  And yet I want relief from my shoulder pain, and how it limits my ability to get any upper body exercise.

Thanks, Jenny, in advance.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep

Jenny

Re: Joint replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:42:30 AM »
Wow, I can?t imagine not being able to take pain meds. I have to admit, the recovery wasn?t fun from shoulder replacement. But it was the best thing I ever did. I feel for you.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries