Author Topic: Iron Deficiency Anemia  (Read 882 times)

Floridalady

Iron Deficiency Anemia
« on: March 12, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »
Hi everyone. How many of you are iron deficient? I went to see my General Practitioner due to constant headaches, aches, more than usual fatigue and not sleeping well. She tested my ferritin and iron deficiency levels and they both came back low. My hemoglobin is low normal And has been for a number of years. I?ve had a myriad of symptoms over the last three years which leads me to believe this has been going on for a while and just wasn?t caught.

I do have Gastro paresis but I absorb vitamin B 12 vitamin D and magnesium. I am tested by my gastroenterologist for absorption of all three of those. I do have Hashimoto?s thyroiditis and Sjogren?s syndrome. I am wondering if this will be a chronic issue meaning I will have to stay on the liquid iron I am taking.

Thanks,
Anna
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 08:11:44 PM by Floridalady »

Liz D.

Re: Iron Deficiency Anemia
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:26:47 PM »
I have anemia as well.  I have taken iron supplements after the doctor told me too to see if I could bring up my levels.  It did and so I got off the iron.  Then a year or two later I was down again.  This had happened three times so I finally decided just to stay on a daily 65 mg. iron pill a day with my doctors ok.  And I’ve been fine since.

Liz D.
57 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

Floridalady

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
Thanks Liz! How long did it take to raise your levels. I am hoping to see some relief in the headaches I have been having.

Anna

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:28:25 PM »
I don’t think it took too long.  Maybe a month.  It was years ago so I have a hard time remembering.  I just remember it wasn’t a wicked long time.

Liz D.
57 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

meirish

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 10:05:32 PM »
I have had iron deficiency anemia for close to 10 years and years ago it would come up with iron supplements but very slowly. Ferritin level was 6 at the lowest and it was hard getting it up to 20 0n the pills. A few years ago I developed AVMs which are arterial venous malformations of the smaller vessels in my large and small bowel. I will have slow bleeds and develop a faster occuring anemia.

i get my hemoglobin checked every 3 months or so and end up having iron infusions every so often.This is the only way I can keep my hemoglobin up around 12 or so..

I don't think that they knew why I was anemia years ago as my colonoscopies were noral then. Research shows that Sjogrens patients can have anemia and also many people with chronic disease seem to have anemia. Something that doctors don't always seem to understand. Good luck. meirish

Floridalady

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 07:36:29 AM »
Thanks guys for the helpful info. I have been off board for awhile as I lost my password and had to re-register. I used to be Ohiolady but live in Florida now.
I have a feeling I may have to stay on low dose iron permanently as well.

Anna

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 08:14:07 AM »
I became iron deficient in 2007.   I realized the deficiency was the reason I was so exhausted.

I took an iron supplement and my iron level returned to normal.  SO my doctor took me off the iron supplement and my iron level dropped again.

After three efforts at starting and stopping iron, I just unilaterally took the iron.

Fast forward to 2019 (12 years later), my iron was tested again, and it was very HIGH!  So I stopped the supplement, and all is well again.

WHY did I become iron deficient?  No one knows.  Why did I stop being iron deficient 12 years later?  No one knows.

In about 2015 I was found to have a complete copper deficiency, for no possible reason.  Copper deficiency is often genetic and fatal at an early age.  Possibly as a result of bypass surgery (I haven't had it)....

I took gobs of copper supplement for a couple of years:  did not help at all.  Then, in about 3 years it completely disappeared.  I take no copper at all now of course.

WHY does this happen??  I can only assume it's related to my Immune Disorder.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

Floridalady

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 02:57:24 PM »
Thank you, Elaine. Good information. I think that I will ask for my levels to be tested periodically even if I return to normal and they take me off of iron. I do not want to feel the exhaustion and the constant headaches that I?ve been having any more.

Anna

meirish

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 12:39:00 AM »
I think there is always the possibility that we autoimmune patients could also have some type of malabsorption that prevents up from absorbing the iron or other minerals in foods. The fact that we make less saliva and mucous in our stomach could cause us to have problems with absorbing some of the necessary vitamins and minerals. I don't know this for a fact but I do wonder as so many weird things happen to those of us with sjogrens. meirish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 06:37:07 AM »
Dear Irish,

I agree that it's probably an absorption problem.  I've always taken a Multi vitamin, and my diet has high quality vitamin and mineral sources, as well. 

I also think that the medications for heartburn, the PPI's, may also inhibit absorption in some way.  I've taken a PPI most of the time, specially when I was taking NSAIDS. 

I had to stop the NSAIDS because the PPI didn't counter the irritation in my esophagus and stomach....  and then I stopped the PPI as well.  This was about 5 years ago, so maybe that's why the Iron Deficiency reversed?  And was why I was diagnosed with Copper Deficiency?  I don't know.

I'm taking a PPI now because the high dose of Medrol gave me heartburn.  I'm trying to taper below 4 mg (started at 16 mg Jan, 2020), and then I'll stop this latest PPI.

It is very hard to manage the taper, I keep getting stuck, and had to slow down at 12 mg, and then again at 8, and then at 4.

But I'm determined to stop the Medrol ASAP.  But the last part of a long taper is really a challenge.

Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

Floridalady

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:11:31 AM »
I agree Irish and Elaine. I, too, take a PPI and then I think autoimmune does all kinds of weird things to us. I have read your posts for years and know you two ladies are troopers.

Anna