Author Topic: Anyone also have RA/OA?  (Read 2076 times)

SjoGirl

Anyone also have RA/OA?
« on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:28 PM »
Hi all,

Long story but I've been off my meds for a few months. I developed a trigger finger on my left-hand ring finger, the third time, with a lump on my palm. I got that shot up then my index finger started to swell and become very painful and was triggering too. I just got that shot up, only two weeks since the last shot.

The sonograms as read by three doctors, orthopedist, rheumatologist, and yet another one all said could be one or the other or both. I seem my rheumy in about a month but just wonder if any of you have been down this path.

My rheumy before this one said I had SjS but also seronegative RA. The newer rheumy said SjS but no RA but now she's backtracking.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

meirish

Re: Anyone also have RA/OA?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
That is a dilemma isn't it. I am wondering if the doc has tested you fork RA now or in the past. The problem with Sjogrens is that we can have some miserable joint issues plus we can have another autoimmune disease and RA is a very common one to have. The thing is you needed the steroid injection and it is good that you were able to have it. I would ask if being on a burst and taper of oral prednisone would help for this attack.

I know that they don't like to give steroid shots close together and usually I think not more than 4 times a year. I know that I have had steroid injections in a really sore, throbbing joint and I don't have RA. I have osteroarthritis that can get pretty darn miserable but it usually calms down before I need to go to the doctor. Hope that his can be figured out for you. Take care and get better. meirish

Deb 27

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:58:49 AM »
I've been through this same thing with RA/Sjogrens. Actually, seronegative RA was my first diagnosis. It's so crazy. I don't seem to have any damage and it bothers me that my current rheumy wants me on stronger meds ( other than plaquenil) yet he hasn't ordered the first x ray or scan of my joints.

Lately I've been in the worst flare I've had in ages. I got out my paraffin bath, got some paraffin at Salleys and cranked it up again. It's so helpful for the stiffness I get in my hands and feet. It's a bit messy, but worth it.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:39:04 AM »
I have very extensive Osteoarthritis.  No Rheumatoid Arthritis, thank goodness.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) Inter.
Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Oral Lichen Planus-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om.3-Methotrexate-Esome

meirish

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »
I would ask your rheumy what your sed rate (and other blood work that indicates inflammation) show as he may be medicating you because of high inflammation showed in your blood work. Also you ANA etc could be quite high and he feels that stronger medication will bring some of these numbers down and decrease your symptoms. Good luck. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:34:09 PM »
I have osteoarthritis and at times I really worry about RA. I've been tested for it several times.

I'll have joints swell and become painful off and on. Thankfully, it usually goes away.

For me, I find that if I stay away from dairy and gluten.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Jenny

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 04:53:43 AM »
I have widespread OA. I am blood test positive for RA, but doc says I don?t have it and that it?s common for Sjogren?s patients to test positive without actually having it.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »
Hi SjoGirl -

Did anyone suggest Dupuytrens? the trigger finger and lump in the hand sounds awfully like it.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 11:52:09 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I have been crazy busy as I still work FT and have been volunteering as well. Working virtually is not as much of an issue as going to an office and volunteering has kept me occupied during the pandemic.

I have been tested for RA, always a negative RF but twice now sonograms of my hands have suggested that I have it so my last rheumy was treating me for it with Azathioprine. I just saw my newer rheumatologist for the first time in a year (our third visit) she is considering giving me an RA drug -- Arava -- but has not said that I have RA. The med switch is in part because they are finding that patients are more susceptible to melanoma if they take Azathioprine for more than four years (this might explain the very ugly spots on my forearms that my dermatologist said were appearing because I have taken steroids in the past -- those disappeared after I stopped that drug about three months ago).

She ran a lot of bloodwork because early last week I was in 100 out of 100 pain on the pain scale, was having trouble ambulating, and was overall miserable. She thinks it could have been a delayed flare after my first COVID shot -- she said they are seeing this in some patients even a week or two weeks after the shot. I had been cleaning cupboards and working pretty hard the few days before which she thinks could have kicked my immune system into a higher gear. I'm now on a short, low-dose course of methylprednisolone which has already helped immensely.

We'll see what the tests and she have to say. I'll provide an update once I hear back.

Thanks again, your are all angels.

SjoGirl
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 03:50:29 AM »
While RF (rheumatoid Factor) was for many years the definitive test for RA, it has been found to be present in many "rheumatoid" diseases as well (like Sjogrens) and the new more definitive test it anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies. If your rheumy has not run this test, I would ask about it.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 06:36:24 AM »
Hi  :)

I have OA.  Very disappointed recently to find one can get arthritis in ones feet. makes for uncomfortable walks.

http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

SjoGirl

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »
Hi all,

All of my blood work was normal but she put me on a low short dose of Medrol which resolved my issues for a while. I am starting to have pain again in various spots so am not sure I'll last long without something, she wants me to try Arava if I have to take something again. I will ask about the anti CCP, I belive I had it done but not recently,

Thanks, SjS

meirish

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 10:37:25 PM »
I have had osteoarthritis for a few years and have to admit it can be miserable. Cant imagine how an RA patient must suffer with all the inflammation they have.

I have a great toe that gets quite large and sore plus several fingers on both hands and the big joint above the thumbs are the worst. Swell and turn red and throb. Life is just fun sometimes. :o meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
Hi  :)

I have OA.  Very disappointed recently to find one can get arthritis in ones feet. makes for uncomfortable walks.

Oh, I feel your pain. I have arthritis in hands and feet. I've been wearing custom orthotics and New Balance shoes for about 7-8 years. It's the only thing I can wear.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »
jazzlover, Sorry that your hands and feet are that bad. It is miserable when walking and using your hands hurt...makes some tasks really miserable. Take care. meirish