Author Topic: Kidney infection and anybody take ciprofloxacin?  (Read 1081 times)

meirish

Re: Kidney infection and anybody take ciprofloxacin?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
Carolina, some of it could be the immune and sjogrens issues that you have plus being older also compounds the problem. As all of us age our immune system becomes less efficient plus I bet the inside wall of our bladder is more apt to be less able to get rid of the bacteria in normal ways.

The other thing is that the bacteria have become resistant to antibiotics. The Klebsiella is one of the bugs like MRSA that is resistant to almost everything. Hospitals and nursing homes have to be very vigilant in infection control and still cases of these infections will crop up.

Once we have had one of these infections we are harbingers of the bacteria in our own bodies,. I had my first bladder infection in over 50 years in 2018 and ended up with the gram negative sepsis with hospitalization and IVs. Dr,. said I was luvky I didn't die. Since then I have about 2 klebsiella infections every year. I had only 2 bladder infections before age 29 and it has sure made me mad.

Bladder infections can be very serious as can become septic or go into the blood. Besides that they take up so much of our time and money plus they take up an enormous amount of doctors, clinics and hospitals time not to mention the amount of money spent on medical community and also for the drugs both IV and oral.

No matter how much infection control is used by ourselves and medical centers they still seem to spread. Makes me tired just thinking of having one. Good luck all. meirish

P.S. Something I will say as an old nurse/caregiver is that as an old lady I have really become aware of societies love affair with "beverages" of any kind. The stores are full of all these beverages and just check out people grocery carts. We drink a lot of "stuff" that isn't water. I have a horrible time making sure that I drink enough water every day plus I do love beverages too.

We need to drink water---lots of it. We also eat way too many carbs and sweet things. Loading our body with sweets can also affect the growth of bacteria in our bladders even if we arn't diabetic. Here we are in a society that can provide us with all this good stuff to eat and drink and it isn't good for us. :-[
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:42:48 PM by meirish »

jazzlover

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
Just a tip .. I take D-Mannose twice a day without fail. I do NOT want another kidney infection. This plan has worked for me for more than 12 years.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 03:45:03 PM »
I realize that the Mannose is working for many of you, but my doctors are telling me no and I have forgotten the reason why. May be some other medication that I am on. I intend to pursue this further but I have so many problems going on right now that I can't open that one right now. Thanks. meirish

trc1962

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
The ciprofloxacin can cause peripheral neuropathy or tendonitis or even tendon ruptures. If I had known this I would have never have allowed me to receive it, much less take it orally for 14 days with what I already deal with. I have deep aching in the thighs and terrible tightness and burning in my thighs that just stays with me, even with gabapentin. The FDA says cipro should only be given as a last resort when all other options have failed. Be cautious if you are prescribed this.

meirish

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
Cipro used to be given as a last resort antibiotic but times have changed. The bacteria are becoming more resistant to all the other antibiotics and if doctors are to treat our infections than the ciprofloxin and levofloxin are needing to be used. My middle son had a very severe sinus infection a few years back and it would not respond to 2 other antibiotics and so cipro was given. He had used it before without incident. This time he got the tendonitis really bad in both arms and hands. He is a mechanic and other things that involve the use of his hands and arms and he was laid up for many weeks. They had him on steroids, etc and he finally improved.

He was very lucky to be able to maintain his business and he knows it. I have been on cipro many times also over the years. Many times culture and sensitivities were done of my infections to see what responded with spire being all that would work. I was thought to be allergic to penicillin at that time. I had the carpal tunnel issues long before I took the cipro and long before my first carpal tunnel repair in 2004. Also, before my sjogrens diagnosis in 2003 so it has been diagnosed as inflammatory disease that causes it. I had problems with the tendons back in the mid 70's long before any autoimmune diagnosis.

Sometimes we just can't control these things that happen to us...which is very frustrating to control freaks such as myself.lolo. Good luck. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »
The ciprofloxacin can cause peripheral neuropathy or tendonitis or even tendon ruptures. If I had known this I would have never have allowed me to receive it, much less take it orally for 14 days with what I already deal with. I have deep aching in the thighs and terrible tightness and burning in my thighs that just stays with me, even with gabapentin. The FDA says cipro should only be given as a last resort when all other options have failed. Be cautious if you are prescribed this.

Amen .. and that is only one of the problems. You can set yourself up for a lifetime of problems.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease