Author Topic: Kidney infection and anybody take ciprofloxacin?  (Read 1997 times)

trc1962

Kidney infection and anybody take ciprofloxacin?
« on: February 21, 2021, 02:20:42 PM »
So I became very ill last Tuesday very fast! I was achy after school and had the lower back issues to boot, It was snowing when I got home, so I took an ibuprofen and ate a protein bar (ugh) and walked the dog. In the middle of the walk (and far from home) I began to vomit and I somehow managed to get home and collapse on the couch. I vomited more and it was dry heaves and more and I finally called my son, who took me to the ER. Lots of waiting and more vomiting (and wetting my pants) and finally some zofran and an hour later a room. They said my bloodwork showed a high white count and my urine showed a uti and they treated me for a kidney infection with pain killers, more anti nausea (thank god), antibiotics iv and a drip. I went home at 3 am and slept. They game me a script for ciprofloxacin and it is an awful drug for me, tears my stomach up and makes me ache everywhere. Anyone had this antibiotic? I need to kill the infection, but not kill me too! I must return to school tomorrow and I am nauseous and my stomach sounds like a thunder storm and I just want to sleep a lot, which isn't like me. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

SunshineDaydream

Re: Kidney infection and anybody take ciprofloxacin?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 09:33:59 PM »
Ugh, sorry to hear you are struggling with this situation. Those are pretty extreme symptoms for a uti. Usually it's just frequency, urgency and/or burning.
My usual first line of treatment for a uti is macrobid antibiotic, and then escalate to cipro if necessary.
If cipro isn't working well for you, ask your doctor if macrobid would be appropriate, instead.
Either way, be sure to drink a lot of water while on antibiotics.
I hope you feel better soon.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

meirish

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 10:34:55 PM »
From the sounds of it you have a tough infection that is in your kidneys and this takes strong antibiotics. Chances are the culture grew out a strain of bacteria that needs to be treated with a stronger antibiotic. I would advise you to call your doctor as soon as you can and see if he can order another antibiotic for you. I have had some antibiotics that really tear up my stomach and I usually take food with them. I tell the doctor ahead of time so he knows that I need food with most of these meds.

Macrobid has been a good medication over the years for bladder infections but in this day and age of more resistant bacteria the need for a culture shows what the bacteria are sensitive to so the treatment is specific off the bat.. Don't be afraid to call your doc. Talk to his nurse and give your information and she should get back to you. Doctors are paid to take care of us and a situation like you area having is not at all unusual. Good luck and ope you feel better soon. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:09:13 AM »
Cipro is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, and they have a track record of causing tendon issues, which may be the reason for the general achiness. Oddly enough, I have no personal experience with bladder infection so it hasn't come up, but I did have an order once for a FQ for another issue, and because I have a lot of tendinitis anyway, the Doc and I discussed it, and waited until we have the definitive sensitivity report from the culture , at which time he could order another antibiotic to which the infection was sensitive (naturally it turned out to be a much more expensive one that the insurer, in their infinite medical wisdom, wouldn't cover "because the cheaper one would work". They try the same thing when people have allergies!)

If a culture and sensitivity report is available, it may tell you what other antibiotics would be effective, I think a lot of prescribers jump to Cipro because it's traditional and usually effective.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

araminta

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »
I had this horrible infection in September,ended up feeling very sick, shivery, and getting "rigors" - quite frightening as I'd never heard of them before!   The first antibiotics I got didn't work, then  I was put on to Cefalexin, which worked quickly.

You have all my sympathy, I hope your doctor quickly finds you something that suits you.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:41:20 AM »
Ok, here's the thing.

When the UTI/Kidney infection/infection in my blood, is cultured out, the culture is tested for antibiotic resistance. 

You don't get to CHOOSE your antibiotic.  Many infections are resistant to almost all antibiotics.  You MUST take the antibiotic that will stop your specific infection. 

I had two UTIs in November, one in December and one in January.  The UTI I had last June had me in the hospital for three days.  I am an expert on UTI/Kidney Infections/bacteremia (when the bacteria moves into my blood stream.)

I have had bacteria in my blood stream twice.  This involves hospitalization and IV antibiotics for three days.  No fun at all.  And I'm dangerously close to septicemia and death.

I am asymptomatic with a UTI, and with the Kidney infection. Finally with the bacteria in my blood I have a few aches and run a temp of 100 (which is high for me since my body temp is usually around 97).  No groin pain, no kidney pain, no idea that I have a major infection and must go to the hospital.  In 2007 I even had rigor (chills that are bone shaking) and finally vomited.  Went to the ER at midnight!

So I get really anxious when I think I have a UTI.  I have the test strips that show everything, but especially Leukocytes which show dead white cells, and Nitrites, which show bacterial infection.

I buy Urinox 10, which tests 10 different aspects of your urine.  But the most important are Nitrites and Leukocytes.

Anyway, key point: not all UTIs respond to all antibiotics.  Your urine must be sent out for culture (not just the quick test in the doctor's office).

I now see a Urogynecologist for my UTIs.  My Primary Care did not want to try to deal with the range of infections I have.  She kept prescribing the wrong antibiotic, which didn't treat the infections, so they came back.

The bacteria that put me in the hospital twice was e-coli, but in the past year I have had:

Citrobacter species (December 2019)
Escherichia Coli (sometimes 2 strains)(February, April, and June 2020)
Klebsiella pneumoniae (2 strains) (TWICE in November, 2020)
Morganella morganii AND Enterococcus faecalis (December 2020)
Proteus mirabilis (January 2021)

I am amazed that it is almost the end of February and I don't think I have a UTI.

Please know the most important take away: insist that your urine be cultured, and understand that different UTI infections require different antibiotics.

The antibotic that my Urogynecologist prefers, Fosfomycin, is impossible for me to find in stock, and costs $150 WITH insurance.  He agreed to prescribe Cipro, which would also treat my spefic UTI, and which I can find locally.

Oh, I also have Interstitial Cystitis, an inflammation of my bladder, so I always have bleeding and always have Leukocytes in my urine.  The key for me is the Nitrites which show bacterial infection.

Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

trc1962

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:14:22 PM »
Wow, you have truly suffered Elaine and I am going to ask questions about the culture during my dr. appt in the morning. I am almost done with the antibiotic and I am still leaking a little, like my bladder isn't strong like usual and so I will ask questions. I still ache some in my back and my son is unhappy I have returned to school so soon with covid out there and no vaccine for me yet (we don't have a good supply of subs due to covid) I will probably have to wait a little to get it after the infection, I want it and I am leary, I have friends who did fine and some who became sick. I appreciate the good advice I have been given here and I will be cautious as I never want to suffer like that again!

meirish

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:11:17 PM »
Is your doctor having you finish you antibiotic and waiting a certain number of days and then getting another urine culture??Just curious as doctors usually like to get a post antibiotic UA un order to see if is the bacteria are gone.

I am currently on Cipro and have taken it a lot over the past couple of decades because I was thought to be allergic to cephalexin and amoxicillin for at least 30 years or so. I just had allergy testing a couple of years ago and found out that I am not allergic to either of them so that is great. I have had severely low t-cells for some years and had so many  types of infections and I have become allergic to so many antibiotics. It is hard to treat a person with a lot of antibiotic allergies that is for sure.

Anyway I was taking the penicillins for urinary tract infection the past couple of years with luck. I had a bacterial infection called Klebsiella pneumoniae and got a gram negative sepsis which has a survival rate of 30% and now have recurring infections a couple of times a year. So this time the bacterial was resistant to penicillin and it was back to the cipro.

I have a lot of tendon problems but have never gotten a problem when on the drug. Now the past couple of years I have constant problems and will be going in April for my 4th carpal tunnel and ulner repair. It is felt that much of my problem with tendons is from the sjogrens.

So, I have managed to keep from getting too sick on the cipro. I do take prophylactic enzymes to keep my gut in normal bacterial mode and I have to work my omeprazole in to keep the heart burn under control. It is a challenge with these drugs.

I hope that you can see improvement soon and that your treatment helped the first time around. Kidney infections can be very stubborn. I am so sorry that you can't stay home for more days as you would greatly benefit from the rest and sleep. Take care and know others are thinking of you. Keep us updated please. meirish

Carolina

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 04:28:17 AM »
Another thing:

Re: Cranberry Juice.  Lots of research shows that cranberry juice reduces UTI's.

There are capsules with only the factor in Cranberry Juice that works!  And lots of it, concentrated.

"ultra-concentrated, whole fruit extract (200:1) of Oregon cranberries, showcasing an active 36 mg PACs (Proanthocyanidins)"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7258988/

So I have been taking one of those, Cranberex, with 36 mg PACs (Proanthocyanidins), twice a day for over a month.

I haven't discussed this with my new Urogynecologist yet. 

I also have taken D-Mannose supplements once a day for almost 8 years.  And it seems to have stopped being effective about a year ago.  I should stop taking it, I guess.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32972899/

This past year has been rough, between the constant UTIs, with 3 days in the hospital, and now a diagnosis of Macular Degeneration.  I had my second injection into the eye with Wet MD, Tuesday. 

It's always something, and then something more, it seems.

Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

araminta

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 06:43:54 AM »
Just to strongly agree about cranberry and D-Mannose (which I think is a type of sugar found in cranberries).   I now always have some D-Mannose in my cupboard and have fought off bladder infections by starting to take it as soon as I get any symptoms.   You probably should check it out with your doctor, in case there are any worries about your kidney function, but I have never had any problems with it.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

meirish

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 11:29:41 PM »
I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis about 4 years ago and my bladder has bothered me since I was 21 years old but never cystitis but trigonitis which is inflammation/infection of the area in the bladder that is shaped like a triangle close to the urethra. This area causes the urge to void and when this area is inflamed the bladder area and back hurt all the time plus have the urge to urinate almost all the time.

I have been drinking the cranberry-cherry juice which I have found to be the easiest on my stomach. However, I am wondering if that is what kicked up the infection as cranberry juice is hard ono my reflux. Then I happened to read an article by a doctor who said that people with interstitial cystitis should not drink cranberry juice as it is too hard on the bladder.

So, I bought just the plain cherry juice with nothing added at all. It is expensive but I am drinking about 1/4 cup a day mixed with carbonated water. I have diabetes so I have to keep the sugar down and cherry juice is around 35 carbs per 8 ounces. Drinking that small amount every day with also make it last longer and keep the cost down for me.

The other thing that I am sort of hoping will help is the fact that cherry juice is anti-inflammatory and could calm down my bladder inflammation(which is what the interstitial cystitis is--also labeled autoimmune too) and my joint pain. Always something to think about. Take care all of you. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
Cipro .. never again for me. Just horrible stuff. I would take bactrim before I would take that one.
(just my opinion .. don't mean to offend)

I had a horrid kidney infection about 12-13 years ago and I vowed to do whatever it took to not ever get another one if I could.

I have taken D-Mannose twice a day since that time .. NO bladder infections, NO kidney infections. I do not compromise on taking the D-Mannose.

I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in 1992. Due to that, I do NOT tolerate anything acidic .. especially not cranberry. OUCH.

I don't care what they say about D-Mannose only working on e.coli infections. I disagree. My doctor told me to take either Vit C or D-Mannose when I was having bladder infections all the time. I react to all Vit C .. so D-Mannose it was. I had also been diagnosed with strep B in the culture, so I know it works on that too.

PS .. D-mannose is the active ingredient in cranberry that keeps the bacteria from clinging to the walls of the bladder. That is why it works.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

trc1962

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 03:47:04 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I did finish the Cipro and did okay as long as I had food in my tummy. I still sometimes get achy in my pelvic and lower back area and it concerns me. I saw my rheummy and he ordered a cbc, metabolic profile and urinalysis and everything came back looking okay, but I still get the chills feeling at times. I was offered the vaccine (dose 1) at school and it was fine although I am still achy and chilling some and maybe that is the cause? The culture from my infection simply said "mixed flora" and I guess that means several kinds of bacteria. I have heard of the cranberry connection, but it bothers my stomach and flares my rosacea and so I don't drink it. The mannose I have never heard of. but will look into it as it has helped many of you. I take 500 mg vitamin C each morning and maybe this helps me? I am wondering if my stomach issues are IBS related. My stomach hurts after eating and when I have to use the bathroom it is yesterday. No diarrhea, but urgency and sometimes terrible cramps in my buttock area so I can't go until the cramping stops, such a fun combination for sure! I guess it is always something and we just learn how to make it work. Thanks to all.

meirish

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 12:33:26 AM »
I cant take the cranberry juice because of the interstitial cystitis and also it tears up my gut. I had read about cherry juice being so good for treating inflammatory problems and I decided to start drinking it. I have been buying it at Walmart. They have 3 different kinds and the cheapest is 3.98 a bottle, one 4.98 and the last one is 5.98.

I checked to make sure they are pasteurized to prevent bacterial infections in colon. I drink only about 2 ounces at a time and water it down with carbonated water, diet 7 up or just plain cold water. I drink it once or twice a day and I do think that my bladder is having less pain. I figure it can't help but do me some good as it is so high in vitamins and minerals plus the red fruit which is really good for a person with the antioxidants

With the anti-inflammatory properties it will help the aching joints also. I think it is so refreshing  and I don't dilute it too much maybe 3-4 ounces of other liquid and it is really cold if really cold. meirish

Carolina

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »
D-Mannose and cranberry extract are both helpful, but are not the same biochemically.

You can even buy pills that contain both cranberry extract and D-Mannose.

I had another UTI two weeks ago!  Have been on D-Mannose every day since 2013, and started Cranberex in January.

And still another UTI.  Had IV antibiotics for 3 days in the hospital again, but no bacteria in my blood this time!  And then I took Cipro every 12 hours for 4 days.

Two bacteria: Klebsiella pneumoniae, and Proteus Mirabilis.

So I'm up against this problem.  I see the Urogynecologist again tomorrow morning.  I'll find out what he thinks of the D-Mannose and cranberry extract issue.

But I'm baffled to say the least.  The only think I think is happening may be that my Immune System has been so depressed due to the high level of Medrol I started in January 2020, maybe that's why I have had constant UTI's.   

Another reason to finished this taper and get off Medrol completely.

Sigh

Elaine