Author Topic: Anyone get a flare after eating nightshade veggies?  (Read 553 times)

Deb 27

Anyone get a flare after eating nightshade veggies?
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:57:34 AM »
So, I also have RA and discovered when I eat jarred or canned tomatoes, my hands and feet ache. Also happens when I eat eggplant and white potatoes. Anybody else have this happen? I wish it didn't. The sensitivity went away for a while but now it's back.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

meirish

Re: Anyone get a flare after eating nightshade veggies?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:20:27 PM »
Just curious...does eating fresh tomatoes cause you to have issues also.

I had problems big time with tomato plants and eating raw tomatoes, watermelon, strawberries, corn on the cob at times, cantaloupe, etc. I also was terribly allergic to ragweed and wild mustard plant that grows as a weed in the fields. I had the eyes that swelled shut and itched terribly, itching in throat and ears and nose and eyes that ran uncontrollably. This ruined a lot of sleep for many years and was really a bad problem. It kept me from working in my parents cafe as a waitress also during the fall season.

When I was in nurses training I was able to get free allergy shots which were experimental. They were oil based and not water based. After the first shot (supposed to be series of 3) my arm became very, very swollen and red and had to see doctor and take medication. I was told never to take the shots again and soon they discontinued these experimental shots.

Interestingly enough, I had very few symptoms after this. However, I started having lots of symptoms of fatigue and other issues. I often felt that I didn't have the external symptoms of alley but questioned whether I was having symptoms that were internalized. This has always made me wonder if it precipitated some of my autoimmune symptoms.

Just a little something to add. I also had a traumatic brain injury a couple of years later and soon afterwards started having symptoms of myasthenia gravis. Seems like there are some things that happen to us that could be considered a trigger for our autoimmune issues. I would not be surprised that you are having the symptoms you complain about. There are so many things we cannot prove cause our symptoms. Just having the feelings we do make us wonder. Good luck. meirish

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »
Oh yes .. NO nightshades for me. I get so much pain.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Skylar

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:58 AM »
I'm fine with nightshades..... but not with acidic fruit like oranges, lemons and limes. OMG with in a day I can barely move and in great pain. Takes a few days for my body to clear the reaction.

Gorn

• Also known as Kevin
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:16:25 PM »
Tomatoes are the worst single flare trigger for me in the nightshade family.

I can not eat them in any quantity, not even a little smidge of tomato paste.

(And it KILLS me because everything that has them is freakin' delicious!)

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 06:33:35 PM »
Tomatoes are also very high in salicylates and histamines. I think they are fairly high in oxalates also.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease