Author Topic: Extremely itchy face driving me crazy!!  (Read 1463 times)

Livia

Extremely itchy face driving me crazy!!
« on: January 11, 2021, 09:24:17 PM »
Hi all,

Im back & i should have asked about this here long time ago...i been suffering from a severely itchy face for about 2 yrs now..its gotten worse  gradually over time..it gets extremely worse at night...i end up putting cold water over my face to cool it down...i go through this several times a day!!! And boy does the itching drive me crazy!! It itches all up into my hairline too!

No reasonable answer from any derm, of course! Not a single doc has an answer for me. They give me lotion or benadryl..

My facial skin is not dry, im an oily type..so it can't be dryness doing this...

And i itch all over my body too esp at night...but its not bad as my face..

Anyone here go thru this?? Is it sjogrens?

Jenny

Re: Extremely itchy face driving me crazy!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:17:42 AM »
Are you taking any opiates for pain.  They always do that to me.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
Face only?? I am itchy all over. I also have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, however.

Maybe your diet has something to do with it?
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Livia

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »
Are you taking any opiates for pain.  They always do that to me.

No opiates...i take certain pain meds sometimes but its not a daily thing cuz ive got gastritis & other GI issues...as of now i haven't taken for several months cuz of stomach issues ...

Livia

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »
Face only?? I am itchy all over. I also have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, however.

Hi ive heard of that but does that cause ur itching??

Honeybee

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 01:20:02 PM »
Hello
I just posted after a long time and saw your post.
I have had a two year battle with overly sensitive skin which is absoulutely horrid so you have my sympathies...?.
Itching is becoming more of a feature of sjogrens as far as some of the anecdotal evidence on the internet suggest. Certainly some medical papers do suggest it is a strong feature for some sufferers. Whether it is in relation to severely dry skin, peripheral neuropathy or just plain idiopathic which I believe is possibly what both you and I are describing.
I itch at night if I get even mildly warm as I think heat overstimulates the nerve fibres in the skin, so am freezing in bed at the mo.....
I don't know about mcas as a cause for you, it certainly is not indicated for me as I have both taken numerous anti histimines and tried a strict anti histimine diet and it made no difference what so ever, even though I have interstitial cystitis which is mediated by mast cell activity, but then most inflammation has this as a feature to some degree, mast cells play a major part in inflammation..?..and you do not have to have mcas. A clue might be the presence of constant hives or raised welts, reactions to medications, severe stomach issues and mostly whether or not any antihistamine gave you a partial relief. You could try a diet but its restrictive. I am laying off of sugar as I are loads at Christmas as there is an outside chance the sugar could have contributed to the dryness.
You don't have to have very dry looking skin to have dry skin if you see what I mean? traditionally flaky or peeling skin is the hallmark but if you look closely under the magnifying glass you will send fish scale appearances and it looks just ashy and dull.
Is this you? the scalp and face is often the first thing to signal a problem with dryness and itching is a hallmark symptom of it.
Indoor heating wrecks sjogrens skin, along with any products used. What are you using on your face and body? How many baths or showers are you taking. I now bathe once a week in tepid water with no products, obviously I wash (other bits) daily but do not use cleaners. To be honest modern society is obsessed with daily bathing and this is one of the reasons peeps do have more probs?
The dermatologists have not been at all helpful, they diagnosed urticaria without really looking at me properly and then proceeded to keep telling me to take anti histamines which just dry me out all the more. I do not have welts or hives, that should have been the clue really...??
I use sweet almond oil on my skin now as most of the preps had alcohol which just dries it out and irritates.....
Itching at night is a common symptom in anybody who tends to itch anyway, all I can say is keep as cool as you comfortably can, I lay on silk sheets with a light soft fleece. Try cutting out skincare regime and swapping, get your iron levels looked at and indeed a full blood count just to have a look at anything else that may possibly be going on...?
Good luck, I hope you find some clues....

Honeybee

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 01:29:05 PM »
What I meant to say was . Although I do not think I have classically dry looking skin I refer to an interesting conversation I had with a person some time ago who suspected that the dryness can be at a deeper cellular level in sjogrens and this to me seems quite an interesting point as my skin just looks very dull and grey. The point being that I am wondering if the Sjogrens has sapped the moisture away from the deeper tissue and not just the surface. My skin is now causing me the worst of any of the symptoms I have suffered and I seemed like most people to have run through all of them at some point......I am hoping that if this is some sort of sjogrens thing then the azathioprine I have been offered but have not taken may make a difference? who knows. (didn't take it as I do not have the option of self isolating due to very ill parents)

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »

Hi ive heard of that but does that cause ur itching??

Absolutely!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 10:03:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity..I would guess that you have taken benedryl at some time for the itching. Maybe it doesn't work or maybe the side effects of the benedryl are enough to be a problem.

I don't itch like you folks do but I do have itchiness. Mostly it will start on my back, but also will show up on other parts of my body at times. I know that it will continue if I don't try to stop it with med and can develop into hivy areas. My immunologist put me on Zyxal 5 mgm many years ago. This is an antihistamine med that lasts 24 hours and doesn't cause sleepiness. It really works great for me.

And...the best part is that you can buy it OTC. Walmart carries it. It is in an approximately 3 inch tall box that is orange and you can get 35 pills for about 13$. It says Allergy Relief on the front of the box. The generic name is Levocetirizine which is impossible to pronounce. Also, I am happy with that price because when I first started taking it the med had just come out and I paid 75$ for 30 pills after insurance...no generic back then.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that in conversation with my immunologist (who is now retired) he stated that what I complained of itching and skin wise can be caused in autoimmune patients by a chemical in our body that seems to affect the skin. I will feel like my skin gets a little warm at times and will feels like itchiness is coming out of my skin. Sort of like prickles. I know that I learned years ago that being in the sun will cause a slight blush of my skin and then the prickles and itchiness. I can't remember the medical terminology for this occurrence or chemical..sorry.

Hope people can find help for their issues. All I know is that this generic med really has helped me. I feel the itch coming and take a pill. I g et so side effects at all from the med..not even more dryness of mouth. Take care all. meirish

If you are thinking that this is helping you may want to check with your doc as I think they can order it in 10 mgm or 2-5 mgm tabs. I have been so thrilled with this med as I get almost stoned on 25 mgm of benedryl. I even take this xyzal

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 10:01:08 PM »
Yes, you can get a prescription for the generic of Xyzal .. which is then very cheap.

I used it for about 2 years and I finally figured out that it was causing body pain for me, so I'm back to Zyrtec.