Author Topic: Let's talk weather 2021  (Read 7863 times)

meirish

Re: Let's talk weather 2021
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2021, 01:11:21 AM »
Thot I would add another post here as it has been quiet for a while. We did get rain in southern MN and it seemed great but wasn't many inches and guess we are still in a drouth. The rains did come in time to save some of the crops as they were getting pretty droopy.

It was a gorgeous day today and made the fair goers happy around the state. Such very hot weather this summer and hope that it continues to be more changeable. The humidity can be so bad here and always has been bad off and on in MN summers. Sweet corn is being sold on the street corners now and I would love some but my new diagnosis of Ecocrine pancreatic insufficiency is really acting up lately and corn is sure out of the question.

I have been packing and my daughter in law comes once a week and spends hours helping with some of the issues. Thank goodness for her as she is so strong and can get stuff done that I can't. She is a nurse and takes some of the better items I am getting rid of to work and the girls on staff have it spoken for before the day is over. I like being able to get things to those girls as many are out on their own and may have a child and money is very tight for them.

This is the third time I have moved since hubby passed away and probably be the last unless I end up in a nursing home. It is really a stressful this to move at any age but when one is on the  downhill side of 70 it is really hard. I find I am having a much easier time throwing things. One of the receptionists at my doctors says she ends up moving about every year and she said that she takes pretty much what she can get in here car. I assume she isn't counting some furniture. Oh, to be able to travel that light.  Take care all of you and have a good summer. Almost time for moms to buy school clothes!!! meirish

Carebear

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2021, 08:06:19 PM »
We've had wild weather here in the Canadian Prairies.  Weeks of dry, extremely hot temperatures.  Then things turn around, to very cold temperatures.  And the wind!  Boy, it's something else.

We are surrounded by wildfires too, especially to the west.  Smoke has been bad, creating poor air quality. Not good for my poor dry eyes, I'll tell you.  It's far worse right in the wildfire zones though, so we are comparatively lucky.

The grass is very crunchy right now.  No sign of rain for the near future, I'm afraid.  Time to water.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

meirish

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 08:33:23 PM »
My heart goes out to you folks in Canada where there are wild fires. We, in MN are getting a lot of smoky air with cloudy skies and strange sunsets. WE are dry here also and may have more fires as the season goes on. Where I moved to more north and east in the state it is really dry. My son has around 5 acres and his lawn is all brown and it looks like it should be almost winter only it is "crunchy" for sure.

Where I moved from more south central they are very dry also but have had intermittent rain fall that has been just enough to save the crops so far but dig down a little and the ground is dry as a bone. Such strange weather and it isn't over yet they say.  As a Minnesotan I have to admit that I would not be at all surprised if we had a really cold, windy and very snowy winter cause that often happens after these hot summers. WE live with what we get and have to adapt. WE have no choice. Take care all and stay positive cause the stress isn't good for us. meirish

meirish

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 10:00:03 PM »
Well, I am back. The weather continues to be of great importance this year, doesn't it. In area North and West of the cities in Minnesota where I live now, the "cities" in MN means the Minneapolis-St.Paul area, the weather was quite hot for some time in August and is now just gorgeous. We seem to have blue skies and sunny days with a good breeze and temps in the 70's-low 80' s and sometimes in higher 60's. Just gorgeous plus it has rained some. WE have had several days with rain but it has been the rains that come in spurts and will downpour for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour and then rain a little here and there during the day. Even had some good thunder storms a couple of nights

South of us about 50 miles I heard that they had 7 inches 2 different times over a couple days. Very uneven and unpredicatable and too late to do much for the farmers. It probably did help some of the later garden crops. I have been reading some of the Farmers Almanac winter weather reports and to sounds like we could have some very cold spells in some parts of the country. I don't know if they predicted snow but it did say that the west would remain dry which is not what we wanted to hear.

I hope that yo folks are all having acceptable weather. WE have to take what we get but we always like to talk about it. Good luck. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »
We've just entered what seems to be instant autumn! From daily temps in the 28-38C range (82-100) to 15-19C (59-66) overnight, with a couple of rainstorms as whatever tropical storm/hurricane is current winding down over us dropping anywhere up to 150 mm (6 inches) of rain and being a coastal city with the highest tides in the world, some flooding. Today is a beautiful, bright, but so far (at 9 AM) a bit chilly. Night time temps are notably lower, making sleep so much easier! No frost or freezing right here yet, but there has been some in the north of our small province about 370 KM  (230 miles) away.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »
Well, it is September 20 and today we got a very good rain. It was a straight downpour that was good enough to cause a lot of rain to go down the storm sewers. We have had those few 15 minute rains that settled the dust and then last week a good couple of hours of rain that came with lots of wind and a couple of tornados in central Minnesota. This rain was one of the old fashioned soakers that was more calm and made the air smell good. At least it is raining. Lots of bad crops in our state but at least we know that it can still rain. So many places have had none to very small amounts. Reminiscent of many decades ago isn't it. Hope you all get some moisture----except if you have had too much in which case it is time for it to stop. meirish

meirish

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2021, 11:07:01 PM »
Here it is the middle of October and I am still getting up to pretty much the same weather I did most of the summer. The runner days and blue skies still prevail but it is much cooler. Very few days with rain but it is quite windy every day.

I can't remember ever a year like this where we had consistent weather like this year. We have not had snow yet and when there was the snow storm in the Dakotas a week or so ago we had some dark clouds and wind go over really fast that evening. Just amazed that we did not get snow. We had some slight rain showers during the early morning but that was it.

My fear is that this is till Minnesota and we may not be able to hardly see the street from our living rooms when the snow hits. Oh well, it is what it is. Take care all. meirish