Author Topic: Let's talk weather 2021  (Read 9518 times)

meirish

Re: Let's talk weather 2021
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 01:52:10 PM »
It is snowing in southern Minnesota since morning and it is a nice snow that is coming down consistently but hardly any wind. Supposed to get 6 inches where I live. Time will tell. It is still March!! meirish

meirish

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 04:05:34 PM »
May you all have a blessed Easter Sunday and may the weather be great also. meirish

MarieB

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 07:38:15 AM »
I've enjoyed reading everyone's replies. 
You've probably heard about the Texas Flash Freeze as we call it here.   It came in February I think and our electrical grids could not keep up so many people had no heat.  My friend had no power for a week.  We were lucky and had only 2 episodes of no power.  One for 2 hours, another for 4 hours.  The 4 hour one was a rolling black out that the power companies used. 
North Texas gets pretty cold but here in South Texas we were in shock that it lasted several days.  :O)

Diagnosed w/Sjogrens May2014
SSA >8  SSB >8 (0.0-0.9AI)H
Antichromatin Antibodies >8 (0.0-0.9AI)H
Anti-DNA(SS)IgG,Ab/Qn 37(0-19EU)H
Began Plaquenil May 2014

meirish

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2021, 10:41:21 PM »
Marie, The weather sure is changeable. I live in south central MN and we have such weird weather lately. The wind has been blowing more the past couple of years and this spring it has blown every day and almost blows cars off the roads at times. We are needing rain and didn't have much snow this winter either.

The dust blows when it is dry and windy and I am expecting this to be a dry and windy summer if things don't change soon. Some friends put their dock in at their lake ono Easter Sunday which was really, really early. They may get snowed on yet cause this is Minnesota.

Have a good week. meirish

meirish

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 09:48:56 PM »
Man, it has been so windy here then past week or so and the wind chill has kicked back in. Have had a few snow flurries but not enough to cover the ground. WE could sure use some warmer weather and a few nice spring rains. Almost afraid to ask for rain as sometimes it starts and doesn't stop.The trees are trying to bud but very slow. They know it isn't quite spring. Weather is always keeping us on our toes. Take care. meirish

MarieB

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »
Same here meirish re: the wind.  Also the part about no rain.  We need it desparately for the crops.  Right now it's overcast and mild temps.  My husband came in this AM from a walk about outside and said 'I think we got rain, 5 drops.'    ;D
Began Plaquenil May 2014

meirish

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »
It is now the 18th of April and we have gotten the other 5 drops and that is it. The buds on the trees are just sitting there with one eye open waiting for the rain. It is cloudy much of the time lately and we had a 50% chance of rain today and still not a drop. Patience is definitely needed that is for sure. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2021, 04:10:13 AM »
What a lovely way of putting it; "buds with one eye open waiting". Sort of like we Sjoggies, squinting through one partly open lid looking for drops!  Admittedly that sounds more poetic when applied to tree buds LOL

We thankfully have had a great balance of moisture and dry, and the trees are just reaching one of my favourite stages, tiny tight buds you have to look for, but they give large areas of treed land a beautiful light green/grey shimmer in the sun, specially on a sunny hillside in the distance. The next stage is one I like to call "Fifty shades of Green" and I love it, too!

It all looked ... um ... interesting with the 5 CM of fresh SNOW we had a few nights ago! :o We still have cold nights, often right around freezing, but the days are getting much warmer, often jumping up as much as 15 degrees C (a bit more than 25 F). I often start the day with a heavy sweater over a sweatshirt and jeans, and by supper, I'm down to a t-shirt, just in time to start layering again!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

sixty

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2021, 05:53:18 PM »
You're right Linda196, Meirish is eloquent and could've been a poet!!  We just had a stretch of beautiful 70's weather here in the PNW.  I have a pair of Canadian Geese nesting in my pond and I've been watching over them.  I also get eagles hunting here and whenever one shows up, the geese raise holy heck.  Eagles are also very people shy, so when one shows up I always walk down there and they end up leaving.  I sort of feel like I'm supposed to help the geese. LOL.

meirish

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2021, 10:55:14 PM »
sixty, you are a goose caretaker and that is important to save our birds. Thank you. They might show up in my neck of the woods some day.

Here we sit in southern Minnesota with the slowest spring in a long time. The farmers are planting but they are brave souls as I can't imagine the soil is very warm. The sun shines occasionally  and we did have a bigger spot of rain a few days ago but still not a good rain. And the big thing is the cold wind that never seems to stop. Yesterday it was cold and drizzly in the morning and just stayed that way til 5 pm when the sun came out and the temp was up to 60. It is Thursday to day and on Saturday it is to be 80 degrees. Will be interesting to see if the warmth is more indicative of spring. Our wind feels like it is blowing over snow banks on the way here. Gives us a chill and need to stay home by a warm bowl of chili.

In out neck of the woods it is common to have a slow steady entrance to spring with farmers working steady in the fields and most corn planted by the 20th of May and then they hurry and get the beans in. About 10 years ago or so we had a really, really early spring and it was so warm in March and it just stayed that way and went into summer and the farmers had a good spring planting which is seldom the case.

We sit and agonize through all this knowing that things are different in the world in every aspect. I just read that our area is to have an above warm summer so it could be a doozy. WE are known to have 80 % or more dew point the past years which makes life miserable and AC is really necessary in order to sleep at night. Some times the temperature doesn't go below 80 at night and it is terrible. The weather is changing and isn't like when I grew up. I have fond memories of being snowed in with hubby and the boys and making home made soup...s[ending many hours plowing out our hobby farm and just enjoying being home. Don't get that much snow or blizzards anymore even. take care all. You all know I love to think back to the old days. meirish

meirish

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:30 AM »
I'm back to let you know that it just can't warm up in southern Minnesota. We have had a some sunny days off and on but usually with a chilly wind. Te last couple of days it has been so chilly and cold. I have had to turn my heat up  a lot. The sun will be out in the morning and then the clouds blow in and dolls down. Doesn't seem to rain much though and we could use a nice warm rain. Just wondering how the rest of you are tolerating your weather. meirish

meirish

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2021, 12:08:33 AM »
OK folks, I am still updating on our weather around the upper midwest. Spring must be here because the trees are either in bloom or slowly blooming. The lilacs are just starting to bloom also. If I wasn't so stuffed up I would enjoy being able to smell the fragrance.

I was very chilly, drizzling and cloudy today again. WE will get some sun and have a few days in the 60's and one in the 70's but the wind keeps blowing more than usual and the air still has the chill many days of the cold temps way up north. Also, a good share of the corn is planted and we have not had a good enough rain yet. The drouth word is being mentioned. One hates to talk to much about rain because when it is dry it is dry and often when it starts raining it won't stop raining. We can't be pleased I guess.

All in all it is a very unusual May for us. But I do remember when the boys were young my hubby took them fishing on Memorial Day but they had to come home as it was snowing so much and windy on the lake and it was miserable. This is the upper midwest, lest I forget. Hope y ou are all comfortable and content with your weather  patterns this spring season. meirish

MarieB

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »
Meirish, May is unusual for us too way down here in So. Texas.  Our temps have been much cooler than usual for the most part but we're all happy for it.   

We finally are getting some much needed rain.   Really perked up the crops. 

Marie
Began Plaquenil May 2014

MarieB

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »
OK, It can stop raining now.   ::) 
We have gotten 5-6 inches in most areas around here.  Lots of standing water and the mosquitos that come with it. 
Wishing everyone mild days.  It's a long time til fall.   :D
Began Plaquenil May 2014

meirish

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2021, 10:59:45 PM »
Well Minnesota finally got some rain last night and into today. It was a nice rain and has developed into a chilly rain. It is cold and windy and tonight it is to be in the middle 30's but not to freeze. We really did need the rain badly and I think they the farmers will take some more of it. The D word has been thrown around here lately as it didn't rain much during the planting season.Generally MN gets to bunch of rain during  planting and harvest and every one thinks there will be a crop failure. Strange how these rains will let up and the wind will dry the ground and the crops keep coming.

Not every year is a bumper crop but our country is blessed to have some farmers who know how to farm and take it seriously. Wait for the next installment of how the weather turns. Take care all. meirish