Author Topic: Let's talk weather 2021  (Read 4050 times)

meirish

Re: Let's talk weather 2021
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 11:18:24 PM »
carebear, That is really some wicked cold you are having. I you  tube and have a family I follow in Alaska who have been dealing with some bad cold also. The vortex is in a different place this year...further south I think as southern MN is below aero much of the time but only down  to 10-29 below. Days are up to single digits above zero so does warm up a little. I can believe that you folks are getting a little squirley with that weather. Most of us are about worn out on TV and also on the computer. I find that some really good movies are helpful but those are far and few between.

I am having trouble calling this a Polar Vortex cause years ago the weather men around here called them Canadian or Arctic Clippers. The northern edge of this clipper is usually down in Iowa so we are just on the edge here in Southern or South Central MN. Please stay safe and keep an eye on the wood stove. WE used to burn wood in the country for awhile until I could not take the fumes from the smoke. I know we sure watched the stove and the chimney especially when it was this cold with the high winds. A fire can catch so easily in the chimney.

Around where I live people are doing puzzles like crazy. Some work on them along in their apartments and others work 2-3 together out in the social area. I have never liked doing puzzles but find myself thinking about starting one so I know that I am really bored. And, yes, the dogs are having a rough time of it also. My boys families all have dogs and getting them outside has been a chore. Stay safe and warm. WE are on the down side of winter now. Of course, we have March to get through yet so we can't talk too smart yet. Take care. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 04:30:58 AM »
In Eastern Canada we've been faring a bit better as far as cold goes, we did have a bit of a cold snap, but the coldest we saw was about -18C. During the days, it goes up to the -10 to -2C range. We haven't even had much snow this year either, enough to cover and look sparkling, but haven't dealt with being snowed in at all, which is a wonder for us, even the banks are under 2 feet tall for the most part!

They tell me these are the kinds of days that promise a great maple syrup season, the shift from cold overnight to warmish days really gets the sap flowing!

Lots of backyard and community rinks being set up, since public arenas are either closed or very limited in capacity. Even the home and community ones are restricted to gatherings of less than 10, and they are redesigning the community ones (other than the hockey ones which are, of course, sacred) to ovals with filled in centers and one way skating only. Hiking and power sledding (snowmobiling) are providing lots of people with outdoor activities, too. I'm quite content with watching out the window, or going for drives (somewhat limited mobility right now due to back issues under investigation, once I have an idea of what's going on, I'll share   LOL)
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

sixty

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »
Here in the pacific northwest we just got around a foot of snow west of Seattle.  It's so beautiful and doesn't happen very often in the lower elevations so I"m enjoying it now.  The problem is it doesn't last long and when it starts melting it turns totally rotten.  It's like walking or driving thru lard. 

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Hello - sunny 33 degrees from Central IL this Saturday afternoon.

It's so nice to see the sun shining today and our temperatures in the 30's, so much better than the below zero temperatures of last week!

We've got snow - I would "guess" around 7-8" on the ground from several snow events this past week.  We had to have our driveway plowed one day this week (first time this winter - last year we only needed it plowed one time too, which I'm thankful for, as multiple times plowed can add up $$$).

Our temperatures are going to be in the mid 30's this week - yay, I'll take it!  Can't wait for Spring to arrive - I'm ready for it!

Our thoughts and prayers are with the folks in TX who are dealing with snow, freezing temps, frozen & bursting pipes, and no power.  That has got to be so difficult trying to keep warm and having enough food for your families.  When you live in an area that is not accustomed to that type of weather (and more extreme circumstances than those of us who are accustomed to it) - it makes that so much more challenging.

Take care everyone,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

katie1111

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 05:38:34 AM »
Good news.  Here in Orlando the trees are blossoming - yes SPRING IS COMING!!!!!

Katie1111

meirish

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
South central Minnesota is 32 degrees this am and it has been a few weeks since we have seen it this high. We had several inches of snow yesterday..a nice slow snow with nice snow flakes that were so pretty. When it warms up like this it usually snows. I did hear that more snow is due this week end. It isn't March yet and that can be our most wicked snow storm and blizzard month. But, Spring is closer. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 05:23:27 AM »
Just zero  (32F) here this morning, and overnight we had our first real snow! Must have had at least 30 cm down (1 foot), I have banks outside my window about 1.5 M (maybe 4 1/2 feet?) and the trees are bough down with heavy snow. Looks like a Christmas card, but we did lose a few branches to the weight :( Hubby is out playing with his Tonka toys (sorry, tractor and equipment) and I have a ham bone on to boil down, ham and bean soup for supper!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}

meirish

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 05:58:25 AM »
That is a day that memories are made of, Linda. I think back to those days during the snow storms when hubby was plowing us out and the 3 boys were out shoveling snow or doing things to get out of shoveling snow. lol. I loved the sound of the tractor in the cold air and, like you, I would be making a big pot of homemade soup or chili plus keeping the wood stove burning. Being home safe and warm with family during a storm makes comfort for the soul. have a great day. meirish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 08:35:17 PM »
Katie - lucky you with blossoming trees in FL!  I had a friend that lives in SC and she posted some pictures of blooming flowers.  We won't have either for quite a while yet.

Linda - I saw your picture - wow, a foot of snow!  Didn't you just say the other day that you hadn't had much snow this winter??!!  Mother Nature heard you!  LOL

Today, our temperature was a lovely 50 degrees!!  The sun was shining and the snow was starting to melt.  I think we're suppose to be in the 40's tomorrow.

Only 5 more days left of February . . . again, the time is flying by quickly.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

meirish

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 11:50:18 PM »
Linda, I was wondering if your area always welcomes snow instead of an open winter. The area I live in wants snow as it keeps our soil moisture up and it helps save the topsoil from blowing away off the fields. We are very much farming area and get the winds from the Dakotas that bring in a lot of dirt if little snow. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 04:09:30 AM »
We do appreciate our snow, Meirish. In addition to the farming (big pototo, strawberry and blueberry producers, as well as "kitchen garden " type mixed veggie farms) we have several popular ski, hiking, snowshoeing and sledding (manual and power) areas. We used to be quite q winter recreation destination, when people could still travel!

We do , however, being a tidal area, have problems with flooding , so the spring freshet, in years when we've had lots of snow (average cumulative total for the whole winter, not all on the ground at once of course, is about 2 M or 8 feet) can be a big problem if it hangs around, then warms up and melts fast.

meirish

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 11:16:52 PM »
The United States has been having more and more floods every year in the spring or with big rainfalls. Seems like areas will get either drouth or a whole lot of rain at once and then the floods start. Our floods have become monstrous at times.

Today TV showed pictures of Mississippi River starting to break up with large ice floes heading south. Hopefully, this will not happen all at once or there will be flooding down south and it seems like we have had to many weather emergencies lately. Don't which flooding on anyone.

I wish you a good spring season , Linda. meirish

meirish

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 03:56:28 PM »
What a beautiful day it is. Yesterday was gorgeous also. Sun shining, air smelling like spring is around the corner and snow is melting a little. My son told me it is to be in the 60's end of week. WE have all been waiting for that haven't we. Have a good weekend. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 05:57:04 AM »
It's March Merry-go-round time here, Monday was mild (-2C or 36F) and started out with rain showers, great, March came in like a lamb! Not so fast, by 2PM it was snowing, heavy wet slushy stuff that made driving miserable., maybe a sheepish lion?
Tuesday was our coldest March day on record, -16C with wind chills of -29C, -3F and -20F, with very high winds. It didn't snow, but the swirling snow from the ground, and the ice crystals in the air, made visibility zero in many places, and highways were restricted when possible. I was out in that mess (an art class I've been missing because of pandemic shutdown and it would have taken a lot more than a little chill to keep me away after a 5 week shutdown!). Took a drive down by the river where the ice fishing shacks are, and couldn't see them! 20 meters, 65 feet off shore and they were only visible as vague shapes in the swirling snow!) This stock photo was taken from just about where I was sitting in my car, and all I could see most of the time was a wall of white behind the lighthouse

Yesterday, Wednesday, was a beautiful day, calm, high temp of 0C, 32F, bright and sunny, and today promises a repeat of yesterday, but maybe even warmer!

meirish

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 11:47:54 PM »
Well, I had to add my 2 cents about the weather cause it was an interesting day. Woke up to what was ground fog tht went way up and almost looked like a fine snow. Ended up misting most of the morning and then it tried to clear up around 2 PM only to get really dark in the north. It got worse and worse and then the wind picked up and soon the weather alert on radio kicked in. We were in a tornado watch til 8PM.

I was running errands and the weather progressed to get worse so I went back home to wait the weather out. By the time I got home there was a tornado warning for a town about 20 miles north of us. That did dissipate and the weather then cleared. Makes me wonder that such a early weather watch after a not very bad winter can have a dismal prognosis at times. Could this be what we will endure all summer? Could very well be and like just about everything else that is going on in the world there is not a darn thing any of us can do about it except smile... :) It makes people wonder what we are up to. meirish