Author Topic: Let's talk weather 2021  (Read 9517 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Let's talk weather 2021
« on: January 01, 2021, 07:21:12 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!!  Here's hoping 2021 is a whole lot better than 2020 was for us all!

January 1st - a clean slate for a brand new year.  It seems some things never change from year-to-year or day-to-day . . the weather!  What does change is the weather patterns.  To me, it seems the last few years there have been more storms, fires, flooding, snow, tornadoes, etc.. worldwide than I ever remember before.

So, this thread is about YOUR weather.  What's the weather like where you live?  Here in the USA, the weather can be so different from coast to coast.

I live in the Midwest, in Central Illinois.  Today, we started out the day with freezing rain.  The trees are coated in ice, as is the driveway and roadway and anything else that might be sitting outside.  Late this afternoon it started to snow.  I just went out on the front porch a little bit ago to take some pictures of the low hanging branches that have the ice and snow on them.  I could hear branches snapping on our front property.  I'm sure we'll lose several tree branches from this ice.  The wind is blowing too, so the branches slapping against each other makes noises.

The lights have been flickering tonight, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose power.  There have already been spots around town that have lost power today.

What's happening weather wise where you live?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

meirish

Re: Let's talk weather 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 07:54:47 PM »
Wow, Bucky,  You are sort of close to me weather wise and we had a cloudy day but no precipitation. I think the sun peaked out a little today and the air is so humid. I don't have many memories of having humid weather in December. One day this week the wind was bad  when I was in town west of me and it was so damp that it felt like it was going right through me.

We have had a few storms this winter but don't match any we had years ago. Seems like the snow has been melting some and roads are not icy or snow covered now. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and the really bad wind and 3 day storms to come like back in the 70's and 80's. Maybe that is gone for now. Don't know that the Farmers Almanac is getting many weather predictions right these days.

Hope all is well with you. We are all hoping and praying for a better year all way around. Take care. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 03:42:33 AM »
My daughter and I just started new crochet projects, we are each doing "temperature afghans" to cover the year; a stripe of a colour designated for the temperature at noon of each day. My graph has 11 colours, from silvery white for <-20C up to bright red for > +32C. Today at noon it was -4C (24.8 F) and I made my first stripe in a deep lavender. My daughter lives just 45 minutes away, and her temperature at at noon was -5C, which put her in the next colour down, a deep purple. We've agreed to try not to show each other until next year (like either of us is capable of that!) so I may have update here, just to satisfy my need to document it! She mentioned starting one for her brother in Alberta, too, and that may show some really striking temperature differences! She loves to crochet,  and has been earning some extra income with her work, but the more she has to do, the more she finishes! It amazes me, the amount of crochet she can turn out!

In addition to the lovely mild temp, it was very still as far as wind (and we've had some major winds lately) and for the most part bright and sunny. All the outside decor came down, poor hubby working away by himself because I'm still having some ambulation problems since my collarbone incident, compounded by a PMR flare, but he got it all done (not that we put out a lot). I got the little tree inside , and my Christmas knick knacks and window decor put away too, so we are very plain looking around here!

Not to take things too much for granted, we are expecting our first real snow tomorrow, only 15-25 CM, (6-8 inches) but enough to cover the completely bare ground! We just had the greenest Christmas I remember, even when there's no fresh snow, there's usually a few little banks left in the woods, but not this year.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 08:12:57 AM »
Hi everyone! 

meirish - who would think of humid weather in MN in January!!

Linda - never heard of a "temperature afghan" - sounds interesting.  What happens when the weather changes throughout the day - do you change color of thread to reflect that?

The last few days here it has been foggy.  In the past, we've had a foggy day here and there, but this time, it's been foggy for at least three or four days in a row!  Yesterday, the sun peeked out for a short while, and then late afternoon the fog was here again.  It was foggy this morning too.

The poor trees are suffering from the ice and snow on them.  Many branches are touching the ground, when "normally" they aren't suppose to do that.  Par for the course, NOTHING is normal anymore - not even in nature.

Would love to hear from others what the weather is doing where you live.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

meirish

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 12:27:48 AM »
Bucky, You are right...even Mother Nature is not doing her thing this year. Such a mild winter. We are having temps down below 20 at night at lot but my goodness that is nothing compared to the 35 below we had years ago. I drove to work on a lot of bad roads. Our country road 3 miles to town was always the worst. We always said if we could get to town the state highways were always plowed for early shift nurses to get to work...Unless the wind was blowing like crazy and making pin drifts. Back then I really needed my 4 wheel drive.

I remember driving home from work one day back in December of 1983 when the wind chills was 80 below at night and it didn't warm up hardly to 20 below zero. I came out to go home from work one day and all 4 tires on my van were almost flat. So cold that the air had contracted. My work was 1 block to the gas station so I took a chance and drove on my flat on one side tires down to get air. I had about 13 pounds of air in each tire. Wind blowing, sun shining on the snow...sun dogs like crazy. It was just beautiful out but so dangerous driving home. Farmers equipment was all freezing up and milking and feeding the herds was very difficult and dangerous. That spell lasted about 3 days. We called that an Arctic clipper in those days. That spell was the worst we had ever seen in my life...for southern

We also had terrible blizzards in the years of 1965 and 1966. We lived in the country then also and I couldn't get to work for 3 days. We had big curves on both sides of our drive way that would fill in. Many a time people got stuck and would walk up to our house day time or middle of the night to get help. This went on for many winters out on the farm.

One of those stormy blizzards the farmer down the road south of us had a fairly flat road in front of his farm, but he had a bunch of trees or windbreak. That year the snow bank was about 25 feet high. The county had a terrible time getting that plowed and they had to get a big plow from the railroad to come in to plow They had to dig from the bottom up much of the time cause the drift was so deep.. That closed our road south for 10 days plus all the other smaller roads were closed.

Farmers had to dump their milk every day twice a day for 10 days because the milk trucks couldn't get there to pick up milk. Some of the time during the storm they had to milk by hand because the electricity had gone out also. These days farmers have generators but back then it wasn't very common for a person to have a generator.

Back in those years it was so nice to be home with the wood stove, kids and hubby home from school and work for a couple of days. Made home made soups and chili, etc and just hunkered down...after we would spend hours plowing the driveway and digging out the paths to the barn and sheds. The good old days were hard but had some good memories.

I hope people have some stories to tell about the country and the weather. There are lots of stories to be told. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:48:49 AM »
There are several ways of setting up a "thermomoghan" (my new word for it LOL) but I've chosen to use the temperature recorded each day at noon. Another time I might do half a row for the lowest and half a row for the highest recorded temps in a day. The second choice might have been better for this one, since, after 6 days, I've only used two colours, the first day was a few degrees cooler, but since Jan 2 its been stuck in one range so only one colour and things don't look any more varied for the next several days! I'm thinking now to use the colour for New Year's Eve to border it, rather than adding a new unconnected colour, but that's a long way away!

In order to give a bit of variety with the single colour, I decided to add some textured rows, like bobble stitch, v-stitch or a row of filet when I use the same colour two days or more. It's sort of a sampler, and hopefully will become a daily habit, I really enjoy doing something creative every day, and this project, being easy and taking very little time, is great to accomplish that.

Meirish, I remember driving to work in such extreme storms, and often being one of very few who did! In a sense it was lucky that I lived outside the city, because highway driving, even when you couldn't see the highway, was easier than getting around town, and by the time you got to the city streets, it only made sense to push on, land the car in a drift, and get inside the hospital, sometimes only to be stuck there for a few days! In my second year of nurses training, I went in for day shift on Christmas Eve, and didn't leave until December 29! I had had my student experience in the operating room, so I got to be emergence scrub, and direct another student (who lived in the hospital attached residence) to be my circulating nurse! Heady stuff for a lowly student LOL. Because of the limited staffing, as we completed a case, we moved with our patient to recovery, and stayed there until they were taken to a room, then we became housekeeping, and cleaned up the OR to be on standby for the next case. It wasn't until I watched M*A*S*H in the 70's that I had something to compare that experience with!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:56:55 AM by Linda196 »
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}

meirish

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 03:16:45 PM »
Your crocheting pattern for afghan sound very interesting. Sure have to keep track of the weather to do that for sure.

That is interesting about your long stay at hospital during a snow storm. I had to stay 3 days and nights one time and had hubby home with 2 kids. He was sure glad to see me cause the boys had strept throat and needed their liquid meds 4 times a day. Kept him busy!!! The big deal was I do't remember just where we slept for a few hours. The hospital beds were all full in a 100 bed hospital. This was back in the old days in around 1969 or so. Don't see a hospital with that many bed in a 15,000 populationed city these days.

It is times like these that younger nurses really learn a lot isn't it. Makes for good nurses that is for sure. I was the only nurse on a cardiac 25 bed cardiac floor in the first semester of my sophomore year. The doctor on call had a fit!!! It was winter storm and nobody could get in. It was not an intensive care unit and also back in the old days so not high tech by any means. I did have one aide so I wasn't alone plus the doctor hung around off and on. Those snow storms are hard on medical personal, first responders, police, etc.

I have to say that many of us who become nurses are pretty much hooked on it. I tried a few other part time jobs(non nursing) when kids were young and was so bored cause they sure didn't have a lot of excitement like nursing did.. :) meirish

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »
Hi everyone - happy Saturday to ya!

Here it is, a week after our ice storm and the trees STILL have ice on them!  This is very unusual for us - usually, within a day or two the ice usually melts off.  Our temperatures haven't moved much, so the ice hangs on.  Driving around town you see so many tree branches broke and the poor evergreen trees drooping under the weight of the ice and snow.

merish & Linda - ahhh, the nursing stories you two could tell!!  I've never had to stay at work overnight (or multiple nights like you two), but I do remember once back in the late 80's where I had left really early to start the trek to get to work in the snow.  Living in NE Ohio at the time, there are hills everywhere.  I tried to plan my route to work with the least amount of hills (not an easy feat) - finally got to work, nobody is there!  :o Within an hour, four or five employees trickled in (out of a business that had 75+ employees!).  After a little bit we were told we could go home - I told them, "no way, it took me a long time to get here, I'm staying", so I did stay and work on a few things that needed taken care of but left early afternoon to head home.  Being receptionist at the time, the phones were ringing anyhow (although, no one was there in the various departments to help them). 

The part that scares me the most (even today) is traveling in the snow when it's dark out.  You just can't tell where the edge of the road is, etc.  I traveled from MN to OH once in a blizzard BY MYSELF!!  It was not fun! 

It seems from the evening news that other countries are having harsh weather too. 

I know there are more members other than the three of us who have some sort of weather happening where you live - come on, post on this thread and let us know about where you live.  If you come to the forum to "lurk and read" - become a member so you can join in the conversation.

Whatever weather you have where you live, enjoy your weekend.

Bucky

meirish

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »
Bucky, I am amazed that it stays that cold to keep the ice so long on the trees. You are some miles south of southern Minnesota.

I can just imagine you trying to avoid the hills on your way to work. In my high school days I had no clue cause my short 5 block walk was all flat land.  However, when I married and moved to the country I headed out to work about 5:30AM  for my drive 20 miles to my job at a hospital in another town. A group of 5 of us car pooled and we got stuck in 3 drive ways because of the snow.  We got to work late. WE didn't know it was going to be so bad.

We left work the usual time and when I got on the cty road out to our place it was horrible. I had a big car in those days...1965 and made it slowly to the big curve before my place....which always snowed in. I got stuck and had to walk about 1/2 mile plus home in a dress uniform,,not pantsuits back then. Also had a long heavy coat on and boots that were only ankle high. The snow what up to the sit of my girdle...didn't wear panty hose back then either. :D

Anyway, I made it home and went to my MIL who lived across the drive way from us. She was worried sick and had been watching me walk home. I was 4 months pregnant at the time so it was kind of a concern for me also.

The funny part of the thing was our neighbor lady across the road had watched me walk home also. She knew all that went on out there. Later I talked to her and she told me how worried she was about me cause the wind was so bad. I newer did tell her I was pregnant at the time. She and her hubby were so nice and we sure missed them when they passed away.

That storm kept me home 3 days and the snow was about 4 feet in our whole yard and driveway. When the road got plowed my hubby took me to catch a ride to work that morning and the snow was about a foot higher than our car. I was a city girl and I sure learned about life in the country in the winter that year. meirish

P.S. That was tha famous St. Patricks Day sow storm that was historic in our area and around some of the other states.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »
meirish - wow, that was some snow storm you walked home in!!  I don't remember that storm, I was too young - playing with my Barbie was more my speed than the weather in 1965.   ;)

Good news here in IL - it finally warmed up the last two days and the ice castle encased trees with snow on them melted off.  Yay!  I really thought we'd lose a big branch on our red maple in the front yard as it was touching the ground with the weight of the ice and snow.  Thankfully, it has since rebounded and is no worse for the ware.

I haven't walked around our property yet to survey the rest of the trees.  There is one tree in the woods behind the house that did break off - I can see it from the kitchen window.

One thing that really bugs me about winter weather is when delivery vehicles (post office and others) have packages for your house and they leave them at the road instead of driving them to the house.  I get it that our driveways are snow covered and some might be icy, but to leave these packages sitting on top of your mailbox or lay them on the ground next to your mailbox isn't a good practice at all!  I live in a rural area and I can't even see our mailbox from the house unless I step out on the front lawn with the binoculars.  Twice this week I've seen neighbors have packages on top of their mailboxes.  Geesh, no worries of porch pirates here - they can just do a drive by and help yourself!!   :-\

Last winter, I had home deliveries made to where I work.  Unfortunately, I'm on unemployment until Spring, so we are having deliveries made to the house.  It's hard to sit there and wait for them to deliver as it could be a large time span difference from day-to-day.  Some days the mail comes at 10:30 a.m., other days it doesn't come until 3:00 p.m.  I can usually hear them coming down the road stopping at all the stops, but not always.

Bucky

meirish

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 11:08:36 PM »
I had the same problem with the delivery of packages when we lived on the farm. However, I could go to the living room and look out the picture window and sometimes see the package.Living in the country is an experience but I miss it.

Glad your ice melted off the branches before the next storm comes. We are supposed to have rain through the night turning to snow in the early morning...and probably some ice also. I am having one eye surgery for cataracts tomorrow and my DIK is taking me. We have no clue what the weather and roads will be doing so will leave early. It is mostly 4 lane divided highway so that helps a lot. But, it also helps to have the roads plowed too. Sometimes that can leave a lot to be desired.

This is the arrival of the polar vortex that they have been talking about for 2 weeks. The weather has been pretty nice here the past week. Some really sunny days but usually with wind. Monday it was 40 degrees which is totally not normal for January weather. Take care now. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 03:52:43 AM »
Thermomoghan update!

One month in, and I've used only three colours so far! The temperatures here, recorded at noon each day, only ranged from -11 (one day), up to +2, so that covered three ranges. The majority of days have been between -3 and +3, for which I use light blue, so the purple for -4 to -6 make a beautiful contrast, and the one row of white, for -11, really stands out!

I'm getting impatient to use some other colours! In the absence of colour variety, I'm using textured stitches when I have a few rows the same colour in sequence, so that makes it a bit more interesting. I'll probably complain in the summer when I have to use the yellow and red, for higher temperatures LOL (especially since, by then, I'll be sitting under half a very large afghan every day for about 20 minutes while I work that day's row!)

meirish

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
That is so interesting. This year the weather has been pretty consistent in my neck of the woods also. We aren't as cold of you but seem to stay in 10 above to 25 above every 24 hours. This is very much tolerable weather for us.

We are not getting much for snow in spite of the weather reports. The north edge of the storms going through will just miss us or we get a couple of inches. My granddaughter at college in Iowa is getting much more snow along with some wind. They even had a snow day a couple of weeks ago...she lives on campus so didn't affect her at all. Since they have mostly online classes it is really a different type of year for them. I am so glad that she is a senior and was lucky enough to have some normal college years until mid Junior year.

One thing we are very lucky with is that we do have snow cover on the fields along with the cold weather. So, in spite of the winds there is not much dirt blowing in from the Dakotas. Some years our snow looks like the tree rings....get the brown/black streak through the drifts alternated with the clean snow. Makes for really muddy yards in the spring.

My DIL that is nurse says that they are seeing very few hip and leg fractures this winter as older people are staying home and we are having less ice than usual. This year will be remembered for so many different reasons.

I would love to see your afghan when it is done. For sure you have a point about getting hot in the summer working on it. Hang in there...when spring comes one end of the afghan should look like flowers in bloom with color. meirish

meirish

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
I am wondering how cold everyone is lately...outside temps that is. It has been colder in MN than it has been in a long time. As low as 20 below one night and often below zero or just zero when the sun comes up. Never gets up to 10 above. This is unusually cold for us lately and we all wonder if the high school kids are going to dress warm enough.

My boys were raised in the 60's through 80's when we had lots of snow and blizzards and lots of really cold days. They were trained to carry snowmobile suits, face masks, extra mittens, socks, etc and blankets in their cars. They were also trained in what to do in emergencies as there were no cell phones back then. It was scary being a mother with teenagers for sure.

We lived on a tar road that was 4 miles from the town stop light and there was a big curve on each side of our 7 acre as. We had many people stuck over the years and hubby would have to pull then out with our old tractor. WE had one young fellow that went in our garage and laid in our van until he got so cold that he dug around and found out house key and came in. Kids found him on the couch. It took him hours to thaw out.

Another time we found the neighbor man (in his late 20's been out drinking) laying on our front steps. He was hardly able to beat on our door. He had gotten stuck and after sitting in his car for hours figured he would try to find our place in the blowing snow. He would have frozen to death soon if we hadn't found him. He could hardly walk or talk. It was really scary at times. We were always aware of people getting in trouble.

There was one man who had moved to our area and lived several miles down the road. He got stuck far away from our driveway in the middle of the curve and walked to our house in that blizzard. He wasn't dressed for it and had no idea how bad it was. When we let him in he was carrying a dozen eggs under his arms. Didn't leave them in the car as he thought they would freeze.  That shows how his thinking was affected by the stress of the storm. He was lucky also. He sent us flowers a couple times at Christmas.

Pardon me folks, I am reliving my younger days on the hobby farm....which I dearly miss.

Soooo...so much for global warming for the moment at least.  Talked to BIL from Mesa on Sunday and he said they were in the 50's for about 3 weeks when a lot of the snowstorms were coming through the middle of the country. It is up in the 70's now so they are happy. Would be interesting to hear from folks with cold weather stories from present or past. I know most people will have some type of events that happened to them or their family. Take care all. meirish

Carebear

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 01:38:53 PM »
We are in a Polar Vortex in Canada right now. It's been ridiculously freezing for over a week,  and will remain so for at least four more days. Lows at night of around - 45 degrees Celsius and most days of -30 to - 40 degrees Celsius with the windchill.

The dog won't easily go outside to do her business, so we carry her to the end of the driveway and within 30 seconds she is lifting her freezing paws. So she now goes out every two hours or so. And no, she will not wear boots or a jacket.

With being in isolation from the pandemic, this cold weather is just making us all pretty squirrely.  Even more squirrely,  I guess!

By Tuesday we will have a high of - 12 Celsius. Yippee!  Heatwave!
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.