Author Topic: The COVID vaccine  (Read 1818 times)

Nomad

Re: The COVID vaccine
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 04:03:18 AM »
Jazz lover...Oh yes. One thought I have is to wait. A friend of mine who only has ITP, but a very bad case with often very low numbers, and was a nurse but simply couldn?t work anymore ...said that she was hoping new information and new vaccines down  the road will be safer for  us. Of particular interest to her are the ones with one inoculation. But see below...

Meirish...regarding blood clots... believe me this was hard to believe for me when I got the Dx...but I also have what is abbreviated as APS. It is anti body associated with lupus. AND the number one concern with this antibody is it can make you CLOT.On the positive side, the APS (clotting antibody) knock on wood has NOT been an issue fir me...thank goodness. Doctors and I through testing are just aware I have it. The ITP (low platelets) has been a big problem.

I? ve met a fair amount of ITP patients with both And a lot of Lupus patients with it. THAT potential clotting issue alone concerned me re this virus and this vaccine. But it?s a good sign ( thank goodness) that I haven?t clotted yet.  But when that doctor died of A sudden bizarre case of ITP I was stunned. Right now my ITP is active. And I?m taking a powerful newish medicine. My hematologist has to be careful not to over Medicate me because on the flip side if my body is artificially pushed to produce too many platelets than the APS will kick in and I could (perhaps likely) get a clot. I am living in bizzaro world right now. I have thought of locating an expert on blood disorders and seeing if I can get a conference/zoom type call.

I agree with the above poster who said this is a hard decision for folks to make. And a very personalized one. If I didn?t have these oddities, I would me MUCH more inclined to take it. And I might still..but feel I have to wait.

I do hope folks who are concerned for health reasons and delay taking it or decide not to take it are not penalized....like for travel.  Perhaps a very recent Covid test before traveling would suffice. Very difficult times we live in.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:20:17 AM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

meirish

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
The Astra-senaca is a one injection vaccine which is much more interesting to me.

Also, I was under the impression that the other vaccine to come out soon was by Johnson and Johnson but saw another site that called it Jaansen. If anyone has the answer to this one I would be glad to hear it.

Also, the OB-GYN age 59 from Florida passed aways recently from a brain hemorrhage. He had no medical history and took no medication the way I understand it. He got the first flu vaccine and 3 days later had red spots on his body. Knowing that this was not a good sign he went to ER and they put him in ICU immediately after blood work. Apparently he had little if any platelets in his blood. They worked with treatment on him for many days and were almost ready to take his spleen out when he had the brain bleed that was very significant. I can't remember if he had the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine but they are the first two to come out that are made by the new technology.

The talk is now whether to blame the vaccine and of course they probably won't. However, I am sure that most of us feel that this is something we really need to have a good diagnosis and need to know just what is going on. It seems like we get a little info here and there that doesn't seem to answer all our questions. Now, I may have this all wrong, but I am telling the information as was given by medical person.. I have no way of knowing just who is giving opinion or truth. Best all of us can do is keep track of the information that is out there. Thanks and good luck all. meirish
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:59:39 PM by meirish »

Sooki

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 10:23:24 AM »
I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine a week ago with no ill effects other than mild soreness at the spot.  I'll get a second dose in a couple of weeks.  I know the side effects are apt to be greater then, but I look forward getting better immunity.  I'll still double mask when I go out, but I'll feel safer.  Especially when visiting my unvaccinated daughter.  I have lupus, Sjo, Hashis, and a double dose of APOE4 gene variant (which in itself gives a 4x greater chance of cytokine storm in COVID).,  My rheumy encouraged the vaccine because its risks seem lower than the risks in getting COVID.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

meirish

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 03:47:18 PM »
Did your doctor have any preference between Moderna and Pfizer??? Just curious. Seems like they are going to be sending different brands to different places. My thought at this time is that they send out the right brand to areas so people can get their 2nd vaccination. Im referring to having Moderna the 1st time and then maybe having Pfizer shipped to Moderna area when 2ns shot is due. Hope the management is keeping good track of this aspect. Thanks. meirish

lighthouse33

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 11:13:18 AM »
I had my first Moderna shot on January 8. Only had a sorr arm. I live in a long term care facility. The government is in charge of the vaccinations in the nursing homes. They have contracted with CVS and Walgreens to give the shots. I will get my second shot February.

For me personally, I have Sjogren’s and leukepenia. Low white blood cell count. Not to mention my asthma. I know if I get Covid I’m a goner. And, knew I would have to get the vaccine.

I read that there is a sox werk incubation period after the second shot before you have full immunity.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

rnathans

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »
I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Thursday morning. By Thursday evening I had a sore arm. By this morning the soreness was gone.

sixty

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 04:35:10 PM »
I got an appointment for my first shot but it's not until March 26th!!  Well I hope I can stay healthy till then.  I'm in Washington state and I'm in the eligible group of being over 65.

meirish

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 09:48:59 PM »
lighthouse, I believe you are right about the time one has to wear a mask after the 2nd vaccination. I think it is 6 weeks but probably they will tell you the day you get the 2nd shot. Good luck. meirish

rnathans

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »
As long as mask wearing is indicated you need to wear a mask even 6 weeks after the second vaccine. You are not likely to get sick but you can still spread virus.

katie1111

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 06:36:54 AM »
I had my 2nd Moderna Covid vaccine shot yesterday.  So far the only side effect is a slightly sore arm.  I recomment you don't get the shot in the arm on the side you sleep.  Otherwise no side effects.  My husband who does have any autoimmune disease is part of the Phizer vaccine testing program and got his second shot on Tuesday.  He had a sore arm and felt slightly sick on Wednesday and has fully recovered.

We are both very happy with the sense of relief we felt after getting the shots.  My doctor told me it will be 2 weeks before we get the full effect.  But it will be wonderful to go out (yes, will wear masks) but we won't have to worry about catching the disease.

By the way, I was given about a dozen disposable masks as I felt the Convention Center - no sure why.

Katie1111

Skylar

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »
I couldn't wait to get my first shot. I got Moderna because that was what was offered by my county's health department. I was happy because that was my first choice. My doctors recommended vaccination. We all need to speak to our doctors about our personal health issues and what to do. I do believe that getting Covid is much worse than getting vaccinated.

My arm was sore later in the day and I had a mild headache, nausea and a slight feeling of not being well, but not really sick enough to say I was sick or to stop me from doing my normal daily activities. By the third day I was back to normal. I can't wait to get my second booster later this month. My husband had a sore arm and felt a little light headed the second day. We welcomed these side effects indicating our bodies were building a response to Covid.

I too felt a huge relief with the first shot and I can't wait til about two weeks after the second booster when theoretically I will have a more complete immunity.

I will still be wearing a mask even once I have had the second booster and until the incidence of Covid is extremely low in my community.

These vaccines are similar to the flu vaccines. They will protect us from getting so ill that we require hospitalization (or worse) but they may not be completely effective at stopping us from getting Covid or from passing it to someone else. Being vaccinated may allow us to be asymptomatic spreader of the virus. If you catch if from someone else unknowingly and you don't feel sick you may not realize you have it. It's unclear at this time whether or not you can catch and spread Covid from the various vaccine candidates.

I do not want to catch Covid - even if I have been vaccinated.

trc1962

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 10:02:48 PM »
I am very much for getting the vaccine and yet am scared too. I don't react well to vaccines, h1n1 was a nightmare and led to a 5 month flare and prednisone which I hate. My dad at 81 received the vaccine and at first did well, but 5 days later got severe blisters in his mouth, pain in his back and hips and his clotting factor rose and he needed a shot of coumadine...scary, but so is the virus. I am not quite old enough yet where I live, so a reprieve. I am a teacher and my immune system is scary strong and when it goes amuck it eats myelin off my pheripheral nerves. Most probably do well with this vaccine though and I will think about it.

Spring

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 06:32:45 PM »
I believe in vaccines.
I had my first shot, moderna, Wednesday and so far only a slightly sore arm when I touch it or use it.
My 90 yr old mother had hers same time and she does not even feel that.

engy

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2021, 02:48:48 PM »
After talking to my doctors, I got my first dose of Pfizer Covid vaccine on Friday. It was offered to teachers in our district as we have been face-to-face full time since September.  I had a slight headache and chills yesterday but barely noticeable.  I felt great this morning except for a sore arm until this afternoon when I got severe stomach cramps with multiple trips to the bathroom.  Then more chills.  I took a nap and a shower and I?m starting to feel a bit better.  The side effects our teachers are having are pretty different but sore arm is the one we all have.

My neurologist supports the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine but he said he didn?t like the preservatives and ingredients in the other vaccines (I think the 1 shot one) that were coming out.

I?m hoping a feel ?back to normal? by tomorrow.

I have Primary Sjogrens with Lupus overlap symptoms, Hashimoto?s, Celiac, POTS, raynauds, small fiber neuropathy and Antiphospholipid Syndrome.

Take care everyone.
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 03:37:53 PM »
Had my second vaccination with Moderna on Feb. 16.

The second day, the 18th, I was much more achy and tired than usual, so I think that was a 'reaction'.  My arm didn't get sore, however.  I just had a headache and felt sort of flu-like.  But no chills or fever.

This surprised me, as I'm 78 and have NEVER had any reaction to the over 40 years of flu shots, the shingles vaccines, tetanus, you name it.

Feel fine now.  Know the immunity with take a while to kick in.  IF it kicks in for me.  My immune system is wonky (deficient for one thing).   So I'm asking my Immunologist to check for antibodies when I see her in April.

Better safe than sorry.  So still masked everywhere, and wear gloves when I play bridge or Scrabble.

Hope you are all well.

Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol