Author Topic: The COVID vaccine  (Read 4286 times)

Nomad

The COVID vaccine
« on: December 29, 2020, 12:39:49 AM »
I know this is a little controversial. If it?s ok, I would like to know who has taken it, who plans on taking it, who will wait and who doesn?t plan on taking it and a little about their experiences and/or thoughts.

PLEASE, I beg if you...no name calling, sarcasm, harsh words, rudeness etc. There is just too much of that out there. We are all individuals entities to our own beliefs. And with our own personal circumstances. And goodness, we?ve all been through a lot.

In my case, I have several auto immune illnesses. I did have one peculiar and negative experience in the past from a vaccine. Mostly for these reasons, at this time,  I?m going to pass. I?m going to wait to see what side effects might emerge in the coming months. I?m leaning against it...but in due time, I might change my mind. My husband, for himself is similar. He wishes to wait a few months to see about side effects. The only slight variation is that he is leaning toward getting it more than I am.
Neither of us are at high risk...in terms of employment/high exposure...so that plays into our decisions.

Anyone take it or plan to take it soon? Again, please please no use of harsh words , no ugliness. Be kind , basically neutral and definitely respectful. Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 12:44:49 AM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

araminta

Re: The COVID vaccine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 04:47:23 AM »
I'm not 100% sure about it (is anybody?), but probably lean towards having it.   My husband doesn't want to have it until he's waited to see if any side effects occur.

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

rnathans

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »
Happy to answer but search this site as there was another thread about this not too long ago.
I plan to get it as soon as it is available to me. I do not want to get COVID, I do want to be able to see my kids, not live like a hermit. I am not afraid of the vaccine. I am afraid of the disease.

My husband was able to get it on Monday because he works in heath care. I am very jealous. BTW, he had a sore arm, nothing more.

I never thought I would be so happy to be turning 65 in a few weeks. I know in my state it will still be awhile before it is my turn, but that will help.

Jenny

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:38:28 AM »
I plan on getting it. I just turned 65 and live in Florida, so I am eligible now. Unfortunately my county has run out of vaccines so I don?t know when that will be.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

katie1111

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 04:58:05 AM »
I also live in Florida and was able to get an appointment to get the vaccine a week from tomorrow. 30,000 people signed up in one day in Orange County using up all available time slots.  I was lucky.  I will let you know how it goes.  My cousin has the covid and has been very sick, though not hospitalized.  I have a friend who also has it and is hospitalized with  pneumonia.  I get the flu vaccine every year and really don't see the difference in getting this vaccine.

Katie1111

meirish

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »
I am waffling concerning the vaccine.....more about when and which one than if I will get it. I have 5 autoimmune diseases and had severely low t-cells that were almost to the point of life threatening. However, I managed to not get the bad pneumonia that the aids patients get....doc said the T-cells that I did have were working like little beavers. The 14+ years of IVIG has improved my immune system status but it still isn't up to par.

I am also allergic to about 5 antibiotics and had a bad allergic reaction to one IVIG product with hives over about 50% of my body including my lips but didn't go down into my airway. Thus I am running scared. I have taken the flu shots the past 20+ years and done ok. However, I am not at all trusting of the Pfizer as that vaccine that has come out with RNA ingredients and works in an unusual way.

The Moderna is made in the same way as Pfizer.  I have recently listened to a doctor speak of the University of Oxford vaccine called Astra-senaca that is made in the old fashioned way using DNA like the current flu shots we have gotten for years. I am more comfortable about that one as I feel that I probably would have less chance of  allergic reaction.

The doctor(don't remember his name) said that he feels this Astra-seneca is a game changer as it is running about 3-4$ a dose and the company was putting out 100 million doses in the next few weeks and plans to manufacture 100 million doses a month thereafter. The doc says this is the type of vaccine that will be more able to be used to vaccinate large amounts of people in the foreign countries. and makes it just cost and time effective.

Also this is the company that made penicillin and also one of the older better cancer drugs, plus wuite a few antibiotics plus the new cancer drug for Non small cell lung cancer that is really making a difference in this cancer statistic.

Astra-seneca runs about 70+% effective compared to the 2 earlier vaccines that just came out and are being used now. They are around 94-95% effective. The FDA requires the flu vaccines to be over 50% effective and the current vaccines we use for standard flu run between 55 and 70% effective which is adequate and generality if someone does get the flu they will get a mild case. Also, the Astra-seneca doesn't need the super cold for storage and can be stored in fridge like all the flu vaccines over the years.

Now, with all that being said and sounding good to me....there is nothing written in stone about the Covid or the vaccines and everything we think we know now may be changed in 3 months. Makes for another challenge, but seems that is the name of the game lately. Take care all and Happy New Year. meirish

katie1111

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »
I had my first moderna covid vaccine about 11 hours ago and I have had absolutely no reaction.  The shot was painless, my arm is fine, no pain and no side effects.  I am scheduled for my 2nd shot on February 5th.  I feel quite happy that I got it.  It is the first time I have been able to do something to attack this virus and it feels good to take the offense.  Right now in Florida the vaccine is available to health care workers, first responders and those over 65.   Age has its benefits.   Years ago my primary encouraged me to get the flu vaccine.  He said if I got very sick with the flu, I might have trouble handling the strong antibiotics I might need, so he felt prevention was important.  I think the same is true now.  I am feeling some security with 1st dose and am sure i will feel even safer once I have had the 2nd.  I know 2 people (neither with autoimmune issues) who have recently been very sick with the covid.  Both are slowly recovering, but it has been a wake up call.  I will post after the 2nd shot and sooner if anything happens.

Katie1111

Deb 27

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
I got my first Covid vaccine yesterday and I feel OK. Of course, there was soreness in the arm. I am a little achy in my hands and feet today. Those are my weak spots but that's it. It was worth it to me. I want to be able to socialize again, go out for a nice meal and not live in fear.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

meirish

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 02:07:52 PM »
Please be aware that the vaccine takes some time to kick in. It doesn't give protection for a few weeks as I understand. Check into this so you are able to know for sure. They say to continue the same protection, masks, social distancing, etc. after the vaccine. I don't know what the information says about protection immediate, etc  after the second vaccination. meirish

Calli66

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 06:43:07 PM »
I'm going to call my rheumatologist on Monday and ask him about what he recommends. I have an appointment to get a vaccine on 1/27 at a local clinic, but first I want to know if there's a chance my immune system will do a weird reaction. I want to hear about some of his patients who have similar conditions to I have -- that they're doing OK. I have Sjogren's but also low platelets and white cells.

Calli

katie1111

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 05:11:25 AM »
my doctor told me not to count on the vaccine working until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot as that is what has actually been tested.  I still have had no reaction and assume that since I am in the 2nd week following the injection I won't.

Katie1111

Nomad

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 08:01:52 PM »
Thank you everyone ...I?m very glad to read about so many positive experiences. It undoubtedly will feel like a huge relief once you get the second one.

I was feeling a little more relaxed about getting it even with my multiple autoimmune issues, until the recent ? situation? occurred in Miami in which a healthy physician died about two weeks after  taking it. Profoundly sad. His wife posted on FB a concise and yet detailed explanation of what happened. He developed ITP (low platelets) only three days after taking the vaccine. In fact his count was zero.  This is dangerous (obviously).  It?s also an autoimmune illness. One that I happen to have.  He was admitted and doctors all over the country were consulted for  help. Yet, his count did not go up. He was scheduled for a splenectomy. But never made it as he had a brain hemorrhage  and died. It is shockingly catastrophic. A dr Spivak from John Hopkins has already stated  that he thinks it?s a ?medical certainty?  his death was related to the vaccine...yet feels this reaction would be so very rare, the vaccine is still worth it. As a side note...the doctor?s widow asked that the death of her husband as she described be publicized.

My thought is....what about us folks who already have low platelets/ITP? I?m wondering if perhaps we should be in the same category as folks with bad allergies. I can tell you out of all my autoimmune illnesses...ITP has been the most quirky/unpredictable.

So even though I was feeling more relaxed about taking it...this has set me back. I think I?ll need to wait until there is more info. Maybe the one injection one will be a little safer fir me. I just don?t know.

Thank goodness most (by far!!!! ) have been getting it successfully without incident. And I pray life will get a bit more normal relatively soon. Some are saying by the end of April. Fingers crossed. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:10:27 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

jazzlover

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 09:55:15 PM »
I read an article today about someone who HAD COVID and then got the vaccine.

They got really sick .. so I'm just here to warn everyone.

A doctor told her she should have never gotten the vaccine.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

jazzlover

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
Nomad .. sounds extremely dangerous for you. Why not try a different vaccine from the one the Dr received.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:58 PM »
There have been others who have had similar issues as the doctor from Miami but but have not died. A recent doctor said that the vaccine (at least the 2 that have come out) are new technology and the research is showing that some of the side effects are the development of autoimmune diseases. If you do research you will find that blood clots are one of the most prevalent side effects that have caused death in people. They have found that people develop clots in the small vessels in the lungs and the heart.

I am not trying to be a scare monger, but we must all be educated as to what is going on with these vaccines. The more they have given the more issues seem to crop up---which is understandable, but the reporting of things isn't as good as one would hope.  I also heard a doctor say that people with many health issues and autoimmune issues should be more careful about rushing into the vaccine. This is when I made my mind up for sure that I would not take it but wait awhile. I have 5 autoimmune disease and I can come up with these on my own and don't need a medication to add another autoimmune disease to my list.

There are several more vaccines coming out in the near future. Johnson and Johnson is coming out with one that only needs one injection. I don't know if that is the new technology or made the way the old flu shots are made. The Astra-Seneca vaccine thru Oxford University in England is coming out with a vaccine that is also made the way the old flu vaccines are. This is a reputable outfit that has made many antibiotics and some cancer drugs that are used very often. I figure that I have tolerated the old yearly flu shots so I think I will wait for these old technology ones to come out.

I hate being cooped up so much but guess I will just have to live with it. I find that if I get out a little each day it helps to cut down on the "cooped up" feeling. I keep missing my library down the street being open. That was always a good way to get out and visit a little with people.

This is such a hard decision for everyone to make and especially those of us with autoimmune disease. It is so easy for doctors to tell us to get a vaccine cause they don't live with our disease and the thoughts that plague us. Good luck to all of you struggling with this decision. I always have to tell myself that I could be in a bad car accident or step off the curb and be hit by a bus..But....you all know what I mean. Also, I don't know how many other vaccines are in the pipe lines by other companies. Seems like there were quite a few at first but may be that some of them did not make it through testing. take care., meirish