Author Topic: Sausage fingers when waking up  (Read 1134 times)

trc1962

Sausage fingers when waking up
« on: December 27, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »
Hi,

I have recently experienced very swollen fingers (especially in one hand) and especially when waking up. There is no warmth or really pain, just tightness. It improves after I move around. Is this arthritis or scleroderma possibly? I have raynaud's and calcium deposits on my arms and legs, but I am unsure what to think of this swelling. Maybe this is just a sjogren's thing I have never experienced. Has anyone here experienced this? Thank You.

jazzlover

Re: Sausage fingers when waking up
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
I have that nearly every morning, but I have other illnesses besides Sjogren's, so I don't know.

I usually blame salty foods, but that may not be it either.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:23:20 AM »
I've had this for years, but I also have Sarcoidosis, and it's well known with that condition. I have no idea if it's a symptom of any inflammation or inflammatory collagen disease, or is considered specific to Sarc
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 07:16:16 PM »
Have you tried buying some of those compression gloves to wear at night?? I have a neuropathy in my hands and arms that makes for miserable days and nights. I bought a pair of the compression gloves at Walmart without the fingertips.

Thought I would try and see if they helped. Surprised me...they do help and even without the fingertips. I wasn't crazy about having my fingertips all covered in a full finger compression glove. They are washable and work well. I bought 2 pairs so I can wash them as needed.  They ware 19.95$ which is spend, but when they worked I thought they were well worth the money. Cheaper and safer than a pill. Good luck. meirish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Hi.

I wake up with so called sausage fingers and they stay with me all day. Mine are also stiff and  aches.
Warmth and redness comes and goes with the pain. What makes me mad the most is that my hands feel like big mitts and hard to pick up a dime off a table. No dexterity.
I have sjogrens and RA......

I am guessing you've been checked for RA?

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

meirish

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »
I would add that RA can affect the hands a lot and cause the swelling and redness and pain. But, I also learned something the past few years. Osteoarthritis can also cause the swelling and pain with swelling. I did not realize that until I had it and was diagnosed. I have swelling of my ring finger right hand middle joint and can't v=bend it. At times it swelled even more and gets red and the pain increases.

I then got the same thing in one of my little toes and now my big toe on left foot. I think that it is really strange that something can swell in joint, pain and turn red not be an autoimmune issue. Apparently an inflammatory issue without any blood work to substantiate it. I never have researched it. 

Hope that you can get some help. Many people with RA take Methotrexate for their joint and pain issues with great improvement. I would ask your doc about it. Also, the first line of treatment for Sjogrens issues like pain, swelling, fatigue, etc. is Plaquenil. If your doctor has not asked you about taking this I would ask him also. Is your doctor proactive enough to be treating Sjogrens. This disease has many more ramifications than most doctor are aware of.? If you are seeing a rheumatologist and are not being treated for your issues I would certainly press him/her about these issues and if no help is offered maybe you would need a second opinion or a new rheumatologist. Justs some thoughts. Good luck. meirish

Sweetcheex76

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »
I have swollen, sausage fingers when I wake up. I also feel like my brain is swollen and have terrible brain fog. The swollen feeling eventually wears off and I feel fine but it’s really unsettling.
Sjogren's, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Reynaud's, Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, ocular rosacea, rosacea, endometriosis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, pre-diabetes.

Plaquenil, Cevimeline, Restasis, Metformin,  Vyvanse, Xiidra, prescription ibuprofen, Vitamin D