Author Topic: prednisone and ostheoporosis  (Read 508 times)

bluegardenia

prednisone and ostheoporosis
« on: December 18, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
for those who are on prednisone or other cortisone, how does this affect you if you have osteoporosis?
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Peanutbrain

Re: prednisone and ostheoporosis
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »
Oh, good question and one I'd forgotten about! I've been on steroids since 2003 for adrenal insufficiency (but my symptoms are much worse when I go off them so I think it helps with autoimmune-related problems, too). I've moved many times and only once did an endocrinologist mention risk of osteoporosis and the need to monitor my bone density.  This was in Austin, TX, c 2007. It was an hour from my house so I didn't like going and then I moved and never had anyone mention it again.  Hmmm :(  Sorry, I'm no help, obviously, but it's good to bring it up so that others are aware of the risk, too. And maybe someone here has good suggestions for you!

meirish

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
Actually, the steroids can be an issue when it comes to bone density. I have been on steroids since 2006 and find it hard to believe that my bone density is as good as it is. I have had some bad falls...just had one last week and could have broken bones in both lower arms and one hippo but was very lucky.

The thing is we are all different. MY husbands doctor gave us a big lecture on steroids and bone issues and he sort of made us feel like everyone is sure different and it amounts to the length of time we take the steroids plus the dosage plus how lucky we are. We have to pick and choose sometime.

I am on a fairly low dose according to my immunologist and neurologist who deal with bad autoimmune diseases. I was to be on 10 mgm prednisone every other day because of my myasthenia gravis to help with the weakness of the disease and the chance of having respiratory failure. I have had to go up on dosage and take some every day. Cant seem to get off as the weakness increases.

I am having cataract surgery next month on both eyes. They have been the slowest growing cataracts my eye doc has ever seen she said. They aren't that bad but just last 3 months reading is getting more difficult so I am doing it before it is really a problem. Hope that helps some. Good luck meirish

rnathans

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 08:37:05 PM »
I was on steroids for several years but stopped about 10 years ago. I am 65 and have had osteoporosis for many years. I do feel the steroids contributed. It also did not help that I had a total hysterectomy at age 44.

I should add that the rest of the women in my family do not experience osteoporosis, including those older than me.

meirish

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 10:20:38 PM »
I forgot about having a total hysterectomy when I was 46 years old. I had asked doc to leave one ovary if he could but both of my ovaries were "old" so he took both of them. I was glad in years to come as didn't have to worry about the ovarian cancer.

The day after I had my surgery doc started me on Estrogen and I was on it until I was 60 years old. There was a big to-do about estrogen at that time so I just quit and didn't look back. I'm sure this didn't help my bones either. I have osteoporosis but have lost track of how bad it is. I have to add that I have taken Metformin for my diabetes since 2009 and I would not be surprised if that drug has helped a little with keeping bones in better shape. That drug has so many good side effects I can't believe it.

I had been on the statin drugs for about 14 years and I quit them about the same time I quit the estrogen. I have always had a problem with my LDL and since being on the Metformin my lipid panel has been better and my LDL is 89. Also, there seems to be info out there that says that Metformin is seeming to help prevent colon cancer to a certain degree. If all these benefits are true then I hope I can stay on it. Take care all. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 03:46:06 AM »
I've been on steroids for 15 years, had a hysterectomy with no hormone replacement (my choice) at 40, and have higher than normal bone density, taking only Magnesium, Calcium and Vitamin D supplements. In my case I think I have a decided genetic edge, since no woman in my family, sister, mother, two grandmothers, and 6 aunts, has ever been diagnosed with osteoporosis, although 3 that I know of took steroids, and 3 lived well into their late 80's.

I recently broke my clavicle, second fracture in my lifetime, and trust me, it took a heck of an impact to accomplish that! My full body weight, propelled into a hard bracket at some speed!

Even without reduced density, though, I have considerable arthritic bone degeneration in my spine, although it seems to remold as spurs so not really a loss, more like a relocation.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

rnathans

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
Wow Linda. You are lucky. I thought I had good genes but they failed me. I also declined the estrogen when I had my hysterectomy at age 44. I was exposed to enough estrogen (DES) in utero to know it would be a bad idea for me. Heck, the DES is what led me to need the hysterectomy.