Author Topic: Dry nose and mouth more often  (Read 849 times)

Judie P

Dry nose and mouth more often
« on: December 15, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
Hi.  I was wondering if any of you have experienced other Sjogren symptoms before your mouth got drier.  I have been diagnosed for 6 years now and started with digestive problems first.  Lately, my mouth has been getting drier.  Since my husband and I have had our business shut down since March and California shutting down again, I cannot get to my doctors.  I can do Zoom with them.  I have ordered a diabetes kit which should arrive today.

So my question is... has this happened to anyone out there due to Sjogrens?
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

Judie P

Re: Dry nose and mouth more often
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »
Just saw Nomad's post.  I have been taking Venaflaxine for 6 years now and it never made my mouth dry.  But, I have upped my Gabapentin to 300mg and only take it at night, not three times a day.  I also feel like I have to pee every two hours but never wake up at night (8 hours of sleep).  That is why I was thinking diabetes.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »
Dear Judie,

I began with dry eyes and dry mouth in  2002.   I started on Evoxac.  Both my dry mouth and dry eyes are progressively worse.

Now I'm on 30 mg Salagen a day.  My mouth is still very dry, and I use Xylimelts, sugar free gum, sugar free cough drops, and always carry water.

I saw my dentists for cleaning and check ups THREE times a year, just to be sure I wasn't having damage to my teeth due to lack of normal saliva.

I also use Ultra Systane Drops during the night, for my dry eyes.

Now that the heating system is drying the air (Winter) I have a humidifier running to keep the indoor humidity at 50 or above.

Since 2002 I have had progressively worse neurological damage from my Immune Disorder, as well.

Ain't we got fun?!

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »
Judie,

My first symptoms were GI as well only I didn?t realize they were from Sjogrens.  Neither did my GI Dr.

I also didn?t realize how dry my mouth was and I kept drinking gallons of water.  My husband was sure that I had diabetes and had me tested twice, but of course it wasn?t diabetes.

I take Evoxac three times daily.  Can?t function without it and I still get dry.  Winter, dry, heated air makes it worse.   I always have a vaporizer going because I can really feel the difference.

Happy Holidays to you🎄

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Judie P

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
Thank you Carolyn and Kathy57.  I got a Zoom visit with my doctor who is ordering "the works" in blood tests since it has been a year.  My fasting blood glucose was 137 two days ago, and he feels it might be stress, but to be sure, we will do the A1c.  A year ago my A1c was 5.5.  He will also be doing the usuals including B12 and D.  The hospital I go to is doing lab work during our current lockdown, so I can go.  Happy Holidays!

Judie P

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
Just wanted all of you to know that my blood work came back fine.  My A1c was 5.6 and glucose 98.  It looks like I am getting close to being deficient in B12 and D.  Perhaps that is the problem, but I think I am seeing a progression of dryness from Sjogrens in my mouth.  Hope all of you are doing okay through the holidays.

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 06:17:09 PM »
Judie,

So glad that your lab work is good.  Do you take Pilocarpine or Evoxac?  Either one can make a world of difference.

Happy New Year🎉

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.