Author Topic: Neuropathy  (Read 728 times)

Cassi307

Neuropathy
« on: November 27, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »
I have had Sjogren’s for a long time and overall my symptoms were controlled but over the last few years my inflammation levels started spiking on and off. I started developing other symptoms that I’m still living with but the thing that worries me most is the neuropathy that started a few months ago. It first started out in 1 foot with sharp pain burning and tingling. Now I have numbness along the top of my foot and ankle. And recently I started getting burning and tingling and some numbness at the very tips of my fingers it has now progressed to going down the fingers of both hands. I’ve been a little shocked by the fact that I’ve been tripping over my feet after losing my balance. Now I have extreme difficulty picking upand holding things.  Tonight I made leftovers and want to carry the plate to the table and it completely fell on the floor. I’m really worried about this.
I have put off making a neurology appointment because my G.I. symptoms were a little more pressing up until today. I don’t know how to cope with loss of muscle control in my hands and feet. I walk with a cane to begin with and I just purchased a walker. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not drop things all the time.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

araminta

Re: Neuropathy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 04:14:51 AM »
I think if you have little feeling in your hands, it will be difficult for you to carry things safely. 

You mentioned a walker.   There are walkers available that have trays attached, which would be helpful to you.   Then minimising the distance you move things between the tray and a table or other surface.

But the main thing is, you need to talk to your doctor to see what help is available. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:16:50 AM by araminta »
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

meirish

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues. It is hard to deal with. I think it would be wise for you to see a neurologist as soon as you can. These symptoms seem  to be showing up more in the past year or two and it would be good to get a diagnosis so that you can seek appropriate treatment.

We always have to be careful that we don't always blame things on our Sjogrens cause there are lots of other disease entities out there. I have blamed Sjogrens on a couple of occasion only to have a surprise diagnosis that was unexpected. Good luck and let us know what you find out. meirish

Cassi307

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I have been trying to find a neurologist that accepts my insurance.
I am feeling really beaten down lately because on top of the neuropathy in my hands I have neuropathy in both feet because of degenerative disc disease. I have nothing wrong with my upper spine except arthritis and that’s not causing the neuropathy in the hands. I’ve just had to facet joint injections over the last month but things have barely improved. I have a rheumatology appointment next week and maybe he can send me in the right direction.
Sjogren's, seronegative RA,  ckd, hyperparathyroidism, asthma,  osteoporosis,  Meds:  amlodipine, low dose Prednisone, calcium, sodium bicarbonate. Also, multivitamin and B complex

araminta

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
So sorry you're feeling down, I know things are difficult enough anyway, with the covid virus going around.   I hope your rheumatologist can give you some help with this.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 05:32:58 PM »
When I had this problem which got so bad I dropped a glass container which then smashed all over the counter that I was standing at, my neurologist prescribed gabapentin which helped. I could only take it for about six months because I started having night time seizures but that time was enough to resolve it. I hope you can find someone who can help.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

meirish

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »
The sjogrens can cause some neuropathy in the hands as we can have many different neurological issues due to the Sjogrens affecting the central nervous system.

There are so many issues that can occur. I have osteoarthritis in my fingers and have some really swollen joints that cause pain besides the neuropathy. Then I have times when my fingers are so stiff and funny looking that I can hardly move them.

My neurologist says this stiffness in the fingers can be from the collagen disease or the Sjogrens which affects certain tissues in the fingers. My diabetes can cause the neuropathy in my hands and fingers plus I have damage to discs in neck and have had a fusion of C4-C5. It seems that we can have more ailments than we can keep track of doesn't it. Take care. meirish