Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 1139 times)

SjoGirl

Constipation
« on: November 17, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »
Hi all, It's been a long time since I've been on the list. I started working FT again and even though I am working virtually I have been extremely busy.

For a long time I was doing fine but constipation, which is an old and unwelcome friend, is back. I know many with SJS suffer from the slow movement of food through their system, constipation, etc. What has worked for you?
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

sixty

Re: Constipation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 04:14:29 AM »
I take 1000 mgs. of magnesium daily.  It helps me.  I started taking it because my body was low in it and found out it helped with the constipation that comes along with taking opioids.

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »
Magnesium for sure.

I also found that gluten and/or foods high in oxalates make constipation worse for some of us.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
The gluten free diet is very conducive to constipation. People don't take the time to make casseroles with tomatoes and vegetables along with the GF pastas, etc. It is very important to eat more fruits and vegetables no matter what the diet to decrease the constipation. meirish

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
Hi, Thanks all. I eat lots of fruit and veggies, oatmeal or brown rice cereal for breakfast, and have been eating GF for a long time. I think this was kicked off as a result of taking antibiotics for my Rosacea. I am getting a bit better with each day.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

meirish

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
 I have found that sweet potatoes are the bests fiber for me. The problem with this is not everyone likes sweet potatoes. :(  meirish

SjoGirl

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »
Hi thanks again.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
Hi  :)

Prunes help. I often find that constipation is a sign that my thyroid meds need adjusted.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

meirish

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »
Also, people on pain meds have bad constipation and need something to soften stool. The main thing to remember is to keep stool softer and something is needed to stimulate the colon to evacuate the stool.

Sometimes dates, prunes, apricots are ground up and mixed with bran. You can ask pharmacist about the right type of bran to use for this. You can make them into balls and store in refrig. I bet if this works you could even make a larger batch and freeze some ahead. The next thing is to drink plenty of water and fluids and eat greens and veggies.

Also, you might ask your doc about using some milk of magnesia or other laxative product every few nights to help stimulate the colon. Always checks with your doc about laxative as there are so many types and sometimes they can interact with some of our meds. When I was in nursing school the joke we always heard was that when we are young all we think about is sex and when we age all we think about is our bowels...... :P :P :P ;D

Hope some of this is helpful. meirish

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »
Hi,

I had another bad bout today probably from being on some different meds. My doc suggested trying Mylanta, I need to give it a go.

SjoGirl

meirish

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 04:23:34 PM »
Are you having constipation or acid reflux? The Mylanta will help the acid reflux or heartburn. Guess I am confused about your complaints. good luck meirish

SjoGirl

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
Hi, It's constipation and I figured out that Mylanta was not the product it was MiraLax. I decided though to start with Colace which has helped immensely. I have also added more water, more fruit and veggies like collard greens. In the past if I ate collards I would go the opposite direction, now suddenly they help.

It may have to do with not just meds but this recent study of SJS patients and their gut microbiomes. https://sjogrenssyndromenews.com/2020/12/07/study-links-altered-gut-microbiome-in-sjogrens-to-systemic-inflammation/

Thanks.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »
This is the reason that I try to use the Benefiber and the probiotics a couple of times a week. The gut has been discovered to be such an important body part and needs a lot more attention than we have known was important.

I used to use the Colace but have found it to be a little too harsh. I need to use the Miralax but have not gotten into the habit yet. I do use the Equate Natural laxative senna as it is a little more mild and does seem to help when I need a little extra kick. Good luck. meirish

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 08:42:27 AM »
SjoGirl,

My GI Dr just started me on a new med called Trulance.  It is a bit pricey but my insurance still pays for it.  It is for chronic constipation.  I?m still trying to get used to it and figure out what time is best to take it.  I think right before sleep is best. 

I?m not recommending it yet because it has some side effects I?m not happy with.  I am going to see if I can get used to it as it does help.

We do what we do to stay normal!

Kathy
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.