Author Topic: Flu shot with a flare?  (Read 345 times)

Winnie

Flu shot with a flare?
« on: November 07, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Hello!  I have not received a flu shot since 2009 and I also avoid them due to egg intolerance but this year I wanted to get one. I can get the eggless one but have been having a flare somewhat different than normal with leg pain for about 4 weeks. Should I get one when in a flare?

Thanks
Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

meirish

Re: Flu shot with a flare?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 06:53:22 PM »
You know, that is an interesting question. I would think you need to talk to your doctor. My one thought is that most of us feel crappy much of the time and lots of time we don't even know if we are having a flare. I would think the doc needs to assess you. I would call the docs nurse and see what she comes up with. Take your temp before you call cause she will ask. :D  meirish

vrystaat

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
Flares are a fact of life in Sjogren's Syndrome, but they're not always due to the same process.
We don't know much what is happening during a flare, but the danger is calling it a flare, when it is something more serious such as liver disease, lung base disease, pancreatitis and others.
Most Doctors will give you a trial of therapy with Prednisone for 5 days. If this doesn't help, one can then D/C that therapy, and look elsewhere. You should of course have an MD supervising this.
This eliminates the dangers of Prednisone. I probably have 5-6 flares each year, and I couldn't do without the Prednisone.
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

Winnie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 05:05:23 PM »
Unfortunately, I had a reaction to an ocular steroid years back which almost made me go blind.  No doctor will give me a steroid unless it is life or death now.  I will try calling my doctor tomorrow. 
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances