Author Topic: SalivaMax: my dentist recommended it.  (Read 917 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
SalivaMax: my dentist recommended it.
« on: October 26, 2020, 04:49:09 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

My dentist recommended SalivaMax, gave me some samples, and wants to prescribe it for me.

I've tried some of the samples, and didn't notice a big change.  But it may take time.

I don't think my RX ins. will cover the cost, however. 

I also take 30 mg of Salagen (pilocarpine a day).  And I use Xylimelts in situations where I don't want to be sipping water (exercising and playing bridge).

Any comments welcome.

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: SalivaMax: my dentist recommended it.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 02:44:25 AM »
From what I've read about it, it isn't meant to increase saliva production, but to temporarily replace it.
Used as a rinse, it moisturizes the mucosa with an electrolyte solution similar to saliva, in other words, it relieves symptoms, but doesn't treat the condition.

The manufacturer does offer a patient assistance program, mentioned on their website
    forwardscience.com/salivamax   (edited to remove a sales site, I caught myself! LOL)
but I didn't find a link. You may have to search SalivaMax patient assistance

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:12:49 AM by Linda196 »
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Carolina

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:46:57 AM »
Thanks, Linda.

It's clear that it can't increase saliva production, and so far I don't see that it temporarily replaces saliva, either. 

But I'll keep trying the sample packets, I guess.  I do find the Xylimelts helpful.  Sugarfree gum helps, but I don't like chewing gum in public :-\

Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Nomad

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 08:34:38 AM »
Hi Carolina...
How are you?
Is 30 mg of Salagen considered the average dosage if that medication? Do you have any side effects from it?

I noticed that the xylimelts are particularly helpful at night.

I?m kind of new to this.

I made myself a cup of ginger tea the other day and put a lot of fresh ginger in it. Plus a little sweetener. It helped for about ten minutes. All these things seem very temporary.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

meirish

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
Everything that does help our dryness is pretty much temporary as they don't cure the problem. The Sjogrens autoimmune response destroys the secreting glands and this means that most places our body secretes mucus will have decreased amount secreted. The secretory glands are overcome by lymph cells which cause inflammation or swelling and destruction of the ability to make and secrete.

Women will have vaginal dryness, ears will make less wax and the intestine will have less secretion of mucus from the lining which will increase the amount of constipation a person has. The pancreas and liver can be affected also. Thankfully not everyone has many of the larger organ issues. The oil glands are affected so that skin is more dry and sometimes really, really dry. We are all different and have to learn what works for us.

It is very confusing for our doctors. I know that when I go in for a problem I often have to make suggestions and mention what might have worked in the past. Because we are all so different there is no tried and true way to diagnose and treat our issues. Then add in the fact that many of us have more than one autoimmune disease which different symptoms plus as we age we manage to pick up other ailments. It can really be a dilemma. Take care all. meirish

Carolina

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 06:55:08 AM »
Thanks, Irish,

You described the symptoms of the damage to our secreting glands very thoroughly.  In my case my Immune System has damaged many other organs and systems, but it started with my secreting glands.

Dear Nomad, I started with 20 mg Pilocarpine (Brand Name: Salagen) in  2002, and started 30 mg this year on the advice of a new Rheumatologist.  My dryness has progressed over the 18 year period. 

My dentist and otolaryngologist always notice how dry I am.  Now that it is winter here and the air is much dryer, I have a humidifier running 24/7, which helps. 

My eyes are also dry at night, especially.  I use Ultra Systane eye drops during the night.  Our eyes are always drier at night.

In the morning I wipe my eyes with Almay Makeup-Free Zone wipes.  This removes the crusty stuff that develops mostly from my blepharitis (inflammation of my eyelids).

Oh, I've almost completely lost my eyelashes.

Regards, Elaine