Author Topic: Cold showers!  (Read 337 times)

araminta

Cold showers!
« on: October 24, 2020, 07:35:04 AM »
I've read a few things online about the possible benefits of cold showers, how they might give us more energy, some even say they can strengthen the immune system.

Has anyone here tried them?   I don't even like a lukewarm shower, but would try anything that might give me a little more energy.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

meirish

Re: Cold showers!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:38:18 PM »
I have not done that and I don't think that I would cause it would be title stressful on the circulatory system and I am 77 years old. Too much of a shock for me at least. I just read an article that says that walking will increase our energy and I would think that would be good as it will increase our endorphins. This increases our sense of well being and would automatically make us have more energy.

If we aren't used to walking it would be good to start out with short distances and not walking too fast. It would take time to build up our strength. I am trying to get myself walking again. I don't walk a lot but did some this fall and it was great. I like walking in the old weather so I should get outside as it sure cooled off in Minnesota. Good luck. meirish

sixty

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »
I have to agree with the walking.  Whenever I take a walk I feel better, no exceptions.  The hard part is just getting to that point sometimes.  When you're having a bad day getting motivated to get up and do it.  How do some of you keep your routines during those moments?

araminta

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:40:43 AM »
Thank you Irish and Sixty, it does seem like exercise is helpful, though often of course it's the last thing we want to do or feel able to do.   I have an exercise dvd which I've been trying to do more often.   I don't always feel better afterwards, but tell myself that at least I'm using some muscles which would otherwise get weaker and weaker.

You're meant to start gently with cold showers, and of course not if you have health issues that would make them dangerous.   For a month or so you have a warm shower, gradually turning it to cold, to acclimatise yourself.  So far I've managed one second in the cold shower, it was awful.   So  I can't report back with any useful findings.   I will persevere ...

Keep safe.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.