Author Topic: We were exposed to covid. Suggestions?  (Read 505 times)

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
We were exposed to covid. Suggestions?
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:10:28 AM »
My husband and I were closely exposed to covid this week by our adult son who was living with us. I've been dealing with a sore throat, sore lymph nodes, and burning mouth for several days but blamed it on Sjs - until we heard his news, of course! Now I'm in panic mode. We got tested last night. While we wait on the results, does anyone have suggestions of things someone with an autoimmune disease should do - just in case? I read that laying on your stomach helps you breathe easier than on your back. I've been drinking a lot of water. I'm also trying to distance from my husband because he is going thru cancer treatments. Any advice (and prayers!) would be appreciated.
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 62
Difficulty swallowing, fibromyalgia, burning mouth, GERD, anxiety, dry, dry, dry!
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: We were exposed to covid. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
As with any viral exposure, the best defence is strict observance of the tried and true self protection measures: proper and frequent hand washing; no sharing of utensils, linens, etc; launder clothes, linens and towels, etc in hot water and detergent; lots of fluids, rest, and proper nutrition.

If you tolerate it, Vitamin C can be a defensive move, and I personally take increased Vitamin D during flu season for it's protective benefits. 

While laying on the stomach (Pronation) had been widely reported in the media, in the case of treatment for respiratory conditions, it refers to the prone positioning of ventilated patients allowing lung tissue saturated with fluids (mucus and exudate) to expand more freely with the positive pressure of the ventilator, because the lungs are positioned toward the back of the rib cage, and when supine (on the back) the tissue has to "lift", as opposed to "dropping" when prone. But by all means, if you are comfortable, and rest easier, pronate when you want. Think of a bubble on a leaf; when its laying on the leaf it's flattened, when its hanging from the leaf, it's rounder and more open.

Prayers that you get a good report from your testing, and that you son remains symptom free or at the most shows only mild symptoms.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
Im so sosrry to hear that as it is such a worry no matter what the circumstances. Just be aware that treatment is so much better now as their know what meds to use.

Also, I am assuming that you haves contacted both your doctors and have the ability to get both doctors informed if you need to go to emergency room. That way you will get input from knowledgeable docs who treat you. Makes it so much easier for the ER staff to get on with the appropriate treatment. Might want to write down all the info you will need if you need to go to ER.

Have a little notebook or something with doctors names, phone numbers and allergies plus medication lists if you don't doctor at the emergency room hospital or clinic.. No matter what our ailment is going to ER can get us anxious and we have problems at times getting the info rounded up for them.

I will keep you both in my prayers and please try to rest and you know the drill. Not everyone exposed gets the virus. Make that your mental mantra. God Bless. meirish

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:00:42 PM »
Just an update. I got back my covid test today and it was negative! What a relief! I still have a sore throat and sniffles but at least I can rest easier knowing it's not covid. Thank you for all of the good wishes. I truly appreciate it. There are many things that I fear about my life right now -- my husband's cancer, covid, sjogrens, finances, etc., - but I don't want to share my fears with family and friends. They worry. It's nice to have a place like this where I can ask questions and share openly. Thank you all for being here.
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 62
Difficulty swallowing, fibromyalgia, burning mouth, GERD, anxiety, dry, dry, dry!
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

meirish

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
Dee, So many people are having more concerns than usual this year, but having a sick husband is really the hardest for any woman to deal with. This is a good place to "wail and moan" as we all understand. Even though we are separated by miles the concern we have for you is heartfelt by all. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on how you and your husband are getting along. meirish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 05:52:03 AM »
Good news for you!  ;D

I hope your son is doing well, dee.

Love, Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-