Author Topic: TMJ after dental procedures  (Read 550 times)

Deb 27

TMJ after dental procedures
« on: October 20, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »
It seems that lately when I have a dental procedure, I end up having TMJ and bad pain for weeks afterwards. Last year, I had a molar removed and the pain was horrific for 6 weeks afterwards.

I had a permanent crown put in last week and this week I am having pain in that tooth and from in the jaw on that side. I am honestly not sure it's TMJ. The doctor last year said it was but I wonder if this isn't nerve pain.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this typical in Sjogrens? I've had other root canals and dental proceedures in the past but did not have these issues.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

engy

Re: TMJ after dental procedures
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »
I am curious about this also.  I had a root canal a few months ago and permanent crown put on and I?m having pain in that tooth too.  My dentist has taken x-rays and pictures of it and it looks fine so I am wondering if it is nerve pain.

I?ve never had this before but this is my first root canal and crown. Other people keep telling me it isn?t normal and to go back to the dentist but I?ve been back twice and I trust my dentist.

Nerve related issues would make sense since my pain seems to come and go throughout the day.

I?m really not sure but I?m sorry you are dealing with something similar.
Carie
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

meirish

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 11:16:14 PM »
I feel for you. I had about 14 root canals and lots of other dental work. Then I ended up having teeth pulled one at a time and have a bridge and eventually having the rest of my teeth pulled. I had a lot of pain at time. When a person has a root canal there is a lot of work and pressure on the root of the tooth and this can cause swelling, etc and I do believe that a lot of this can be herve pain.

However, I did have a few times that I had such jaw pain and happened to see my ENT at that time. He said that it was TMJ and he moved my jaw and pressed on certain areas where TMJ occurs. Just having to hold our mouth open for some of the dental work can bring on the jaw pain.

The worst TMJ I ever had was when we remodeled our house and I painted the whole inside. When I painted the area where the side wall meets the ceiling I did not know that I was clenching my jaw so tight. By the time I got done with the painting I was in intense misery.

I dealt with this different in the last big painting job I did. I picked out a very pale pink that had a very slight blush to it and had it mixed half strength. Sales clerk thought I was crazy. I painted the walls and ceiling that color in the whole house and it turned out just beautiful. I had so much class compared to the 2 different colors of walls and ceiling. (My house decorating statement for the day.lol)

Hope you can find relief. With TMJ the heat and cold alternated can help and I have heard of some people getting script for a mild muscle relaxant for a couple of days. Especially for those bad couple of nights. Good luck meirish

Deb 27

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 04:05:11 PM »
Sorry you have been through so much meirish. I shouldn't be complaining at all after all he work you've had done. As if we don't suffer enough with other symptoms, losing your teeth is really hard. I tried heat and it didn't help. I'll have to try heat and cold alternation.

Yes, engy, the pain should have died down by now. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the tooth to settle down.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Liz D.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
I have had this also. It is the worst pain.  It may be trigeminal neuralgia.  Google that and see.  Many times we think it’s TMJ, but it is really nerve pain.  I hope you find relief. It can be a nightmare.

Liz D.
57 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »
It's very likely it is from the new tooth being either too high or too short.

Look on You Tube for Dr Nick DDS.

He can fix problems like that very easily. You may be able to find a dentist near you who can do a similar procedure. People come from around the world to see this dentist.

(worked for me)
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

meirish

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
 I am assuming that your pain is at the angle of the jaw. It just occurred to me that you could also be having some parotid gland swelling at the same time. The parotid can cause a lot of misery also...especially when the duct that drains into the back of the side of your mouth gets plugged. This would not cause actual pain in the bone of the lower jaw further from the parotid area. Have you tried heat on the angle of the jaw and doing a gentle massage of the area. Sometimes this helps to encourage the drainage from the parotid gland ....if that is the trouble.

The worst jaw pain I ever had was a night where I must of had plugged parotid ducts on both sides. I had not clue that I had sjogrens at that time. I almost wore out the floor pacing. Several years later when diagnosed with sjogrens it made sense. Goodo luck. meirish

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
Hi  :)

My husband was bothered by TMJ. In his case it turned out his Vitamin D was low. He was prescribed a high dose of Vit D for 3 months. The TMJ cleared up and he also lost aches and pains in his hands that he had for awhile.

just a thought.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

meirish

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 10:45:47 PM »
That is extremely interesting Scottie. Thanks. meirish