Author Topic: Fall / Winter - perfect crock pot season  (Read 6501 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Fall / Winter - perfect crock pot season
« on: October 16, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
Hi - any time is a good time to use a crock pot, but the fall/winter months are usually when I use my crock pot the most.

Last week we cooked a pork butt to use for pulled pork . . . . yum!  This past Tuesday, I cooked the chunk of the pork butt that had the bone in it and made a roast . . . ohhhh, the house smelled sooo good, and the roast was delicious!

I just love how easy it is to prep your food and put it in a crock pot to cook for hours while your house smells so good as it cooks.  One pot clean-up . . . my kind of cooking!

What are some of your favorite foods to cook in a crock pot? 

Any recipes you wish to share?

Happy Crock pot cooking!!   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Fall / Winter - perfect crock pot season
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:57:37 AM »
It's not even 7AM here and hubby has the crock pot started with a BBQ beef brisket recipe he found online. He's taking over as chief cook and bottle washer while I mend from a collarbone fracture secondary to clumsiness, and he could have taken the easy way and stocked the fridge and freezer with prepared and take away meals, and we do have a few of those in for when he goes to work, but he's exploring his culinary side, and he's a great cook!

For the most part, our crock pot is the source of baked beans, but i love doing seasoned chicken pieces, pork, and rice puddings in it too! I even have a buffet style one, three small pots with independent controls in one piece, and I've done soup, main, and dessert int it (of curse the amounts are just for two or three people, especially the main curses)
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

meirish

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
My favorite thing to make in crock pot is soup. I always made a full crock pot of soup when the boys were young. I let it cook on high to begin with and then turned to low during the night. The longer it cooks the better it is.

I have been using Herb-Ox chicken powdered bouillon for my soups for years. It is sodium and gluten free and is solo good. It takes about 3 packets for the big crock pot. Makes it zoo easy to monitor how much salt and other spices to use as there is no salt in the bouillon. There is a powdered beef also.

They have the cubes but they are not sodium free....at least in the stores I shop. Sometimes they are so hard to find in the stores. I swear all the stores put them on the top shelves. The store I shop in puts them in the canned bouillon section which is also in the bread section. So, I guess one has to search for these. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 02:41:00 AM »
*UPDATE* The BBQ brisket was delicious! It was even a bit spicy, which me surprised because hubby usually doesn't go spicy, but I loved it
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}

meirish

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 11:41:03 AM »
Yesterday I browned some skinless chicken thighs very crispy and put I'm crock pot. I used all non salt spices to season plus my Herb-Ox salt free bouilllon powder plus dried dill, dried parsley and dried minced onions. I browned up milk gravy in the dripping using cornstarch. Put potatoes in with the chicken and then added the gravy. Oh, that tasted good later on.

Since I am along I try to make smaller batches and have found that using the small can of evaporated milk along with a couple of cans of water works good for a good gravy. I don't use milk so I finally stocked up on the evaporated milk and it sure comes in handy. Have good cooking this winter. meirish

meirish

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »
Weather check!!! It has been really nice in southern MN the  past few weeks. WE have had wind every day but the temps have been in the 50's and even higher.. a few days in the higher 60's and low 70's. The sun has shown a lot and the farmers are picking corn like crazy. They may just get their crop out before Thanksgiving this year. WE did not get a hard freeze in my area until middle October. I can remember having the harder freeze  in mid Sept and then we would have our Indian summer for 4-5 weeks.

One thing that I love is the cool evenings. I leave several windows open much of the day and into the late evening as I love that air, I will be sitting watching TV with a heavy blanket but love breathing that colder fresh air. Take care and hope you are all enjoying the weather before the cold and snow sets in. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:10:16 AM »
Due to a clumsy accident resulting in me breaking a collarbone (dominant hand side of course), hubby has been chief cook for a couple of weeks. He has discovered and is in love with my crock pot! LOL

So far we've had barbeque brisket, pork in mushroom sauce, chili, spaghetti sauce, and he has a line up of recipes he's found online, ready and waiting.

Since there's just the two of us, it provides lots of easily prepared leftovers as well as the first hot meal, even things I can heat up when he's working.

I warned him that if he keeps preparing these delicious meals, this might be the slowest healing fracture in medical history!

meirish

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 05:39:03 AM »
Linda,You are going to give women an idea. Get an owie and avoid cooking... Sorry that you fractured your clavicle though. Such a rotten area cause move anywhere in the body and the pain hits the collarbone. I just thought of something though. Is your husband good at wrapping Christmas presents?? It takes a long time to heal a collarbone doesn't it? ;D Take care and heal fast. meirish

meirish

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 05:40:02 AM »
Soory, I just noticed that I put my weather check in the wrong post. meirish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 06:48:50 AM »
BRILLIANT IDEA, Meirish, about the gift wrapping! He actually enjoys doing that, but his choice of gift wrap can be questionable, at best. Last year he did all his own wrapping...with the funny papers and duct tape! It was colourful and charming, and we had fun with it, but my sister-in-law, whose tree and house look like a Good Housekeeping photoshoot, and who places carefully colour coordinated gifts under her main tree (others go under the smaller tree in the den) was totally aghast!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
Hello - I don't smell anything cooking in the crock pot!!  ;)

Linda - lucky you that your husband enjoys cooking!  I would certainly continue to let him cook while your collarbone heals.  :D

Irish - soup in the crock pot sounds good too.  I'll have to look for that salt-free bouillon powder in the store.

It seemed for the month of October I got stuck in a pork roast faze with the crock pot.   I cooked several - they are fine when they are first out of the crock pot, but I get tired of the leftovers.  I did take some of the roast, put it in the food processor and then made little packets of roast to be used later for BBQ sandwiches.  Yum!

I guess I've never really used the crock pot for anything other than roasts.  I need to expand my crock pot usage.

This is not a "crock pot" meal, but this week a niece dropped off a package of filet mignon.  I have never eaten filet mignon, than alone cooked it.  We looked up online how to cook it - our niece included some marinade, so we used that and cooked the meat on a stove top grill.  OH.my.goodness . . . . that was the BEST meat I have ever had!! Yum-O!!

Do you have a go-to website or cookbook for crock pot recipes?  If you do, please share.

Happy cooking!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

meirish

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 10:13:20 PM »
Hi, folks. I don't have a lot of things that I cook in the crock pot. I do tend to brown my beef for stew and put that in the crock pot. The beef chunks seem to get more tender cooking those long hours. I usually don't use a recipe, just the potatoes, celery, lots of onions and then I add the dehydrated minced onions. The dehydrated ones in big container by Tones seems to add a lot more flavor than the raw ones do.

I also add carrots and sit up chunks of sweet potato and sometimes rutabagas which give a really good flavor. Add some garlic and often use tomato juice as the liquid. This takes a long time to cook but is so darned good. I am partial to soaking many things on stove top or in the oven. I like chili cooked on stove top and swiss steak cooked in oven as the gravy turns a really nice brown.

Would sure like to hear of other foods that people cook in the crock pot as it is really nice in the winter. Over the years and before the new electric pressure cookers I used my stove top Presto pressure cooker a lot. I would buy soup bones (theory were cheaper back then) and cook them up and then cut off bones for my soup. This made such good broth also. I got so I would come home from work at 4 pm and put a roast and potatoes, carrots and onions in the pressure cooker and have supper ready by 6 pm or so. Really much less clean up and I had a 6 qt cooker that held more so I had more left overs.

Wow. I am getting hungry. We need to have a get together and cook up a storm and then sit down and eat...without masks!! Have a good week. meirish

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
I love to make taco soup in my crockpot.  I?ve tried several recipes and have used leftover chicken, ground beef and even leftover turkey.  I experiment with different ingredients,  lately I?ve been adding jalape?os to my recipe and it gave it a nice little kick

I just look up recipes on my phone using GOOGLE.  I really don?t use my cook book much anymore. 

I have a wonderful Italian beef recipe for the crock pot.  Just get a nice rump roast or you can even use a chuck roast.  I don?t brown it but add a packet of onion soup mix, one jar pepperoncini  with the juice, and add one can or bottle of beer to it.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Take out the meat and slice it up (it will be very tender) and put it back in the crock pot.

It makes great hoagie sandwiches and the gravy is outstanding.  Quite comforting and addicting and smells wonderful while it is cooking,

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Kathy

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:14:11 PM by Kathy57 »
62 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer, Osteoporosis.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 01:39:48 PM »
Wow. I am getting hungry. We need to have a get together and cook up a storm and then sit down and eat...without masks!! Have a good week. meirish

Irish - I wish!!  That would be so nice to actually meet people we've "talked" to for years.

Kathy - I've never tried soup in my crock pot - I'll have to try that.  I tend to stick to "roasts".

I got a new crock pot for Christmas - haven't used it yet.  My old one, for some reason, the crock part has a hairline crack, so I've been using those slow cooker liners in it.

With the cold winter months here, I'll have to use my crock pot more often.  Love the smell of the house while the food is cooking.  Mmmmmmmm.

Bucky

meirish

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »
Remember the brown crockery pots used to make baked beans. Well, I found mine and I have a hankering for home baked beans. One of these days I will make them. Got the first step donee..Ii bought the dried navy beans.