Author Topic: Salty Taste  (Read 200 times)

Michael1234

Salty Taste
« on: September 25, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
Hello all,
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who answers questions on  this website. I have received numerous ideas on how to handle Sjogrens issues from reading everyone's responses !   Thx !!!!

I was orginally diagnosed with Sjogrens in 2015.  I maintained a moderate level of dry mouth and eyes over the past 5 years.
A couple weeks ago,  I began to experience an increase in dry mouth.  I did have a minor infection prior, so maybe this is some type of flare.  I am now experiencing a salty taste in my mouth along with more dryness.   Any ideas on Salty issue or how long this flair may last or can this be progression..Any other tips ?
Thx!!!
(I take Plaquinil and Evoxac)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Salty Taste
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 05:27:57 AM »
Dear Michael 1234,

I, too, have a salty taste in my mouth sometimes, and also sometimes a metallic taste.  My sense of taste and my sense of smell are both affected by my Immune Disorder.

The skin on my hands and forearms is also very salty to the taste!  I checked after I read your post, and sure enough-salty.

Salty tasting skin is a clue to cystic fibrosis, which I'm sure I don't have.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25640976/

Here's a different, very small group study's conclusion:   Heavy, salty sweaters require increased dietary consumption of sodium!

My blood sodium is often very low, and more than one doctor has told me to eat MORE salt.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2902030/

Last but not least heavy sweating is associated with the medication I take for dry mouth: Pilocarpine (Salagen). More sweating means saltier skin.

Sweating occurred in up to 40% of patients with Sjogren's syndrome.[Ref]

Evoxac has more sweating, but not as much.

Very common (10% or more): Excessive sweating (18.7%)

That's what I could find.

I've taken Salagen for 18 years, salty skin and all.

Regards, Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-