Author Topic: Dryness Flare  (Read 480 times)

Michael1234

Dryness Flare
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:41:05 AM »
Hello All,

I developed Sjogrens in 2015. I have dry mouth and eyes.  My dryness has stayed the same for the past 5 years and I was managing symptoms.  Last week, I had a sinus infection and at that time, my mouth dryness became much worse.  I wanted to ask if anyone had this experience and if their dryness symptoms eased up after some time.  Should I ask my doctor for prednisone.  I am hoping my dryness gets better.  Any input would be appreciated.  I also take Cevillimine and Plaquinil.
Thx !!!      Mike

meirish

Re: Dryness Flare
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 04:04:49 PM »
I will reply but I don't think I have any helpful answers for you. I have had Sjogrens since really noticeable in the 60'2 and 70's and not diagnosed until 2003. I am now 77 years old and I have noticed that I get more dryness as I get older. The good thing is it sort of wanes off and on. I was worse years ago and then it wasn't as bad for several years and now my eyes are worse and my lungs have gotten worse. Morning and evening are really bad trying to hack the thick lung mucus...(sorry tmif)

Have you tried pilocarpine for the dryness? I took that years ago and it helped. I had to take a lower dose because on the higher dose I perspired so bad. I am not able to take that for years as it interacts with my myasthenia gravis med.

Have you tried  using a personal humidifier that you can place next to your chair or bed. They really help and I am going to half to get mine out again. I know you can order them online, but often one can find them in Menards and they use distilled water usually. Hope you can get some relief cause it wears a person out. Good luck meirish

Liz D.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 04:19:11 AM »
If you used any over the counter sinus medication for your infection, that would definitely affect your dryness.  They have antihistamine in it and it just dries you out more.   Once you stop taking them, you may go back to somewhat ‘normalcy’.

Liz D.
57 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Hormone Replacement Therapy, vitamins, calcium, flaxseed, biotin

araminta

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 06:18:08 AM »
Hi, I've just had a bout of pyelonephritis, was very feverish and taking antibiotics.   My mouth and nose were incredibly dry during that time, but are now getting back to what passes for normal. 
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »
Hi Mike,

I always get more dryness before or during sinus infection. When cured, it goes back to it's usual state of dryness.

Prednisone, if anything, increases the dryness (and causes weight gain, mental instability, aggression) - at least for me.

Are you on pilocarpine yet? When worst comes to the worst, I bite on a soy-lecithine capsule and swish the contents inside my mouth - it soothing.

Good luck!
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex